Hard

johnny

We have 2 children and don't get 'us' time much at all. As the wife is home with the kids we don't have a babysitter and I feel bad asking my parents to watch them for a night. It is just hard when you don't have the quality time and I kind of feel selfish for wanting a night out every now and then with the wife.

FamilyMan

Fidelis ad Mortem
It doesn't sound like you're being selfish at all. Sounds like you're taking care of your marriage.

McKitch

Not selfish

It is not selfish at all to want a night out. I know it is hard to find the time so instead you have to make the time. Have a relative keep the kids overnight or get a sitter. I am sure you wife would love some time alone with you.

johnny

My parents love watching them. The problem is they live an hour and a half away so we drive 3 hours round trip to drop them off! It will get easier in a couple years when we move closer.

Leslie

Do you have close friend with kids? Maybe you can exchange babysitting that way both couple will get a chance to rekindle the marriages. I am fortunately to have friends with teenage kids willing to babysit for us.

sukie

Have you ever considered that your parents, or your wife's parents for that matter, may well be longing for you to ask? I know that I love to look after my grandchildren, especially just for a day or two. (Any longer exhausts me!)

johnny

Leslie- the only close friends we have are 2 couples (one is expecting in February though) so maybe that will be a great thing to ask them. Sukie- my wife's dad and step mom are always 'busy', they are in their 60's and really don't make time for these 2 (and they only live a half hour away), and the mom and step-dad live in the next town over from my parents so same distance, but they are constantly watching my sisters kids. It is really hard for us but thank you for the wonderful ideas, maybe they will try harder once the wife sits down and has a conversation with them.

Sammy

Wow that has got to be rough! We have friends that can watch ours, but we rarely go out, by choice. We rather just stay in as a family and we have 'us' time when the kids go to bed.

Robby

We trade evenings with a couple of other couples. We watch their kids, they watch ours. Or we all go together and hire a babysitter for Friday evenings. We try to get as much "us" time as we can. I feel it's as important if not more important to get out with my wife for a night that's just for us.