Heirlooms vs. Hybrids

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
After spending the weekend in the garden starting my late summer, early fall section, I am left pondering. What do people prefer, heirloom veggies or hybrids?

I often use both. Heirlooms do seem more prone to pests and such, but seem to taste better overall.

Anyone else growing anything?

Zack

Tomatoes. Home grown hybrids beat anything I can buy in the stores.

You're right about the heirloom taste but hybrids are much easier and when I lose an heirloon to disease or pests in really ticks me off.

Once in awhile I can find heirlooms at a farmers market in Ocala and they get top $.

I've been using "earthboxes" the past several years.

Zack

Go here: EarthBox

It's a planting system started by a guy in Sarasota, I think, that really caught on and has gone national. Also several copycat systems.

The thing I find most helpful is that you cannot over water, a big tendancy of mine, and it is a one-time fertilization at the beginning of planting. I had 2 tomato plants this year and got about 70 tomatoes. One pepper plant and so many peppers I was giving them away.

G

Gary

I'll have to look into getting some of those. How many earth boxes did you get?

Zack

I've got 2 now. I let a neighbor use one sometimes and we split what he grows.
They're about $80 with the tomato trellis. They last forever. I think there is a dealer in Brksville. Save on shipping.

G

Gary

I see that sherwood Forest Nursery in Spring Hill carries them. At least that is what the link you provided said. I'll have to look into one of these and give it a try.