Hello from Athens - Greece brothers!

Templar_gr

Hello brothers,
glad to find this website, while I was "researching" about which Rite should I follow with the opening of the year, after becoming a MM last spring.
I believe we will have to discuss a lot about it (apart from the reason that I read mostly about the choice of Rite... it seems that most follow a Rite just because the Lodge was closer to them)

Greetings again, from overseas, brothers.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Welcome to Freemason Hall .

True , some join a Rite closer to them , some join the SR because they want that number 32 after their name and a chance to become 33rd degree Masons . Some go into the YR to become Knight Templars . And some go into one or the other or both to gain knowledge . I asked around and talked to those from both sides of the fence . Most who knew me and my likes , Masonicly speaking , informed me that the YR would be a better fit for me , but I went into the SR also in honor of my father-in-law after his death and to gain more light . Though I went into both Rites , I much perfer the York Rite . Most in my area who are members of both perfer the YR over the SR also , for many different reasons but the general concensus is that they , like me , found the YR degrees more moving and meaningful . But that's just us , some may and will think differently . Talk to those in your area that are in either Rite and get their thoughts and opinions on what they like about the Rite they are a member . I have noticed that are thoses that like to give their opinions on the YR and proclaim that the SR is better though they have never went through the YR degrees . I am a firm believer that , if you haven't physically went through the degrees and you are not now or have never been a member of either of the Rites , then you can not speak for them .

Templar_gr

Hello and thank you all.

Thank you for your reply Ashlar. At some point of your reply you state:

"the general concensus is that they , like me , found the YR degrees more moving and meaningful"

Could you elaborate a little on that? Moving... meaningful... in what way?

Good day brothers.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
For one thing all the YR degrees in my area are conferred and all the candidates go through them , not just one while the others set on the sidelines watching . And none are communicated , as in the SR . Though that is done for the reason of time constraints and number of candidates going through at one time . In my area the York Rite is not looking for dues/fees and huge numbers , this is why in my area we are not shoving petitions in the faces of new or old Master Masons . We make an announcement once every Fall that we will be putting on the degrees for anyone interested and leave it at that . No pressure , no trying to talk Brothers into joining . Some YR bodies do festivals though , much like the SR , wherethe candidates set on the sidelines but we do not because it takes away from the degrees . And when a MM is given the choice between YR fesitvals or the regular way , I would suggest going through the degrees individually . It may take months to go through them all , but it gives you time to think about and digest what you have seen and heard .

Because we keep our groups small , each member participates in each and every degree, really be a part of it . And without going into details of the degrees themselves , the degrees are very beautiful and the moral lessons they teach are very moving and the Chapter degrees finishes up the Master Mason degree. And like I stated before , by going through each degree indivdually you really have time to think about it and you will get that much more out of the next degree .

I'm not trying to take anything away from the SR . I found those degrees informative , much more after reading more than a few books afterwards concerning the SR . But it was to much to take in in two days , being hearded around like cattle while they set up for the next degree and set and listen while a degree is communicated then hearded back in to watch another degree . Because I went in the SR in honor of my Father-lIn-Law after his death , who always wanted me to join the SR , I was picked to go through the final degree "The Master Of The Royal Secret" and that was special . But it was much to impersonal to me , and I found it lacking . These are my own personal feelings , and does not reflect everyone else's .

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Welcome to the forums, I hope you enjoy your stay. Also, either direction you choose, or don't choose, it is your choice. Knowledge is only gained if you pursue it yourself. The same can be said for a library, every book contains knowledge, but it is your choice which book you read. Good luck in your travels as well.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Welcome to the forums, I hope you enjoy your stay. Also, either direction you choose, or don't choose, it is your choice. Knowledge is only gained if you pursue it yourself. The same can be said for a library, every book contains knowledge, but it is your choice which book you read. Good luck in your travels as well.
Very true and well said . When asked by new Master Masons which way to go , I tend to lead them toward the YR because of the emotional rather than the intellectual side of it on my part . Like I stated above , participating in the degrees rather than watching them from the sidelines was more profound and had a greater impact on me . It's hard for me to put into words so as to get my point across , and for that I apologize .

I also get defensive of the York Rite because my lodge members look down their noses at it ,I'm the only YR Mason in my lodge , because of a number . They want that 32 by their names and because it's the most popular . They know nothing of the YR , yet they criticize it .

Templar_gr

Hello brothers,
haven't been online much lately due to some business trips I had to do, and then I built a new PC, and had problems with Vista and the internet (I think I dislike Vista so much!).

I understand what y'all say, about the differences between the YR and the SR... I didn't become a freemason because of a number next to my name (and I know you're right about that one, have heard it a lot! Unfortunately!), but because of the values it represents... still haven't decided yet though... I am going to meet with the person that got me into masonry some time next week; he has highest degrees of both rites even though he has 33o by his name :)

So I may guess what he will "propose" to me, to follow...

I'll keep you posted, and let you know about it.

Take care brothers.