history behind freemasons?

ncjwr

why are there so many conspiracy theories about freemasons? anyone can look up and read REAL history and learn.

as far as i know the freemasons of today came from free stone masons who were around before the time of the crusades. they were expert builders.

from there many of the Christian crusaders became a part of a society linked to the free stone masons. as far as i know they started the first usable currency system in the world. though many were executed, after the crusades, many also left europe for different parts of the world. however they still maintained allegience to the brotherhood they had formed.

thats extremely brief...but a little of what i understand and not a bit of conspiracy. i would love to find out more history from someone who is more knowledgeable than i am.

i am a complete history buff and this has always fascinated me!

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I personally believe there are so many conspiracies just due to the fact it was "secret" for so long. A lot people fear the things they do not know, combine that with the people who blame others when things do not go their way and the conspiracy starts. Then you get those that are just paranoid.

There are theories on so many things and there are multiple theories upon those. I like to watch some people as they tend to believe in theories that contradict one another.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I agree with Jason, The "secret society" thing I believe is what sparks a lot of the conspiracy theories. As you seem to be educated in the origins of freemasonry, you have obviously derived an opinion about them. Things also contributing to the conspiracy is that women are not permitted into the fraternity, therefore appendant bodies were created such as the "Order of Eastern Star", and "Amaranth" for female relatives of freemasons. Masons were involved in many aspects of the known world, including as you mentioned the crusades. Although masons were not the defenders initially of christianity, The Knights Templar were the defenders of christianity. When they were disbanded after the crusades by the Marq of France, many were imprisoned, some were tortured and executed. It has been said that many of the Knights Templar hid and took up stone masonry as an occupation, this bond with Templars and Masonry then was established.
Another large thing that fuels the fire of conspiracy theorists is that Free Masons do not engage in arguing/fighting the allegations, mainly due to the fact, if we fought every fight about who we are, our charity and contributions would suffer to the deserving because of money spent fighting a fight which can't be won. A belief is something that is hard to fight and win against. As with this and any other thing in life, take it with a "grain of salt" until you experience it first hand.

PM #232

reviewer

The same sorts of rumors surround the "Skull and Bones Society" as well. It just comes from a history of having influential and/or powerful people being in an organization.

ninikins

Thats very true IMO, if people don't fully understand what's going on they come up with their own theories.

pingpong abyss

The same sorts of rumors surround the "Skull and Bones Society" as well. It just comes from a history of having influential and/or powerful people being in an organization.
Ha! I was just going to post that, and as I scrolled down to the post button I read your post. Beat me to it.

But anyway, I have to agree. It's all about what you don't know. Anytime somebody suggests that something may not be what it seems, a good deal of people just jump on it. It's like all of the stuff about us not really landing on the moon, or about the U.S. government knocking down the twin towers from the inside, even when the arguments run contrary to the evidence. I think people have this innate need to believe in something that they cannot prove, and that goes against common wisdom.