home brewing

just curious how many on the forum home brew their own beer? i've been homebrewing for about 7-8 years now. been thinking about getting into making my own wine as well.

johnj1582

I've been homebrewing for about 4 years now. I haven't really tried doing wine yet, but I've done some meads and a braggot... I usually do 5 gallon batches, mostly ales.

There's a few brothers at my lodge who also brew their own beer, actually.

G

Gary

I homebrew. I've been doing it for a few years now. I'm an extract brewer though. I don't do all grain, but I have a friend that does.

edwmax

It's been a while since making beer. But i don keep some wine working. Currently about 30 gals .... 15 from last year and 15 now ready to be racked. Oh, 8 gal of very good wine vinegar.

johnj1582

I mostly do extract with specialty grains... I'd really like to try all-grain, but i think i need some more practice first

G

Gary

Specialty grains are easy. I can never get the mash temps right for all grain.

it's cool to see how many people homebrew their own beer. the hobby seems to be more popular as the years have gone by since i started brewing about 8 years ago. i've even had co-workers ask about how to get started in homebrewing.
when i brew, i brew extracts with grains. don't know if i'll make the jump to all-grain; if i go all-grain, it'll be a while from now.

G

Gary

Do you do full or partial boils? I have a turkey fryer that I do full boils with.

Do you keg or bottle? What types of beer do you brew?

Do you do full or partial boils? I have a turkey fryer that I do full boils with.

Do you keg or bottle? What types of beer do you brew?
right now i do partial boils. i currently don't have a boil pot big enough to do a full boil, which will eventually change once i decide to buy a turkey fryer.
i also bottle. having to clean 50 bottles does get a little old, so i'm currently saving some dollars for a kegging system.
as far as types, i like to try to stick with brewing seasonals.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Beer, well, it has been a while. Mead, now we are talking. I want to start beer again, and get into kegging, bottling is such a pita.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Beer, well, it has been a while. Mead, now we are talking. I want to start beer again, and get into kegging, bottling is such a pita.
There is a meadry at the Minnesota Renaissance faire that has Egyptian mead that is to die for.

johnj1582

I do a full boil too... a big ol 7 gallon turkey fryer here too! I bottle right now, but i'm right there with ya brother Jason... bottling is indeed a pita...

a buddy of mine and i got a keg that we intend to paint up like R2... it's gonna be pretty awesome.

I'm a big fan of meads, but i've only done a handful of batches... Honestly i was really impressed with the Braggot. I'd never had one before i tried my hand at making a batch.

what beer styles are you guys partial to? I do a LOT of stouts... i have a great oatmeal stout recipe that ALWAYS comes out great.

G

Gary

I have a few cases of 16 oz bottles that I save for special batches. I keg all of my beer. The soda kegs are the easiest to work with. I've got 5 of them. You can save a LOT of money if you buy them used and clean them up. The rebuild kits for the seals are way cheaper than buying a new keg.

I set up a small chest freezer with a Johnson thermostat for fermentation. I stick the kegs in there for climate control. I can do ales or lagers that way. It gets hot here in Florida in the summer, and the yeast won't go to work if you don't have a setup like that.

I ferment either directly in the corny kegs or I use carboys. I like using the kegs best. Less light means better beer.

Stouts are very very good, but for some reason I primarily brew ales. I like to brew Scottish ales and bitters best. I've also done a few clone kits that were fun.

I carbonate with Co2, not priming sugar. Mainly because it's faster, and I get impatient to taste the fruits of my labor. :D

Robert Birtch

DeMolay/Freemason
Interesting thing: I know some Brothers of Washington Lodge in Hamilton, OH make and sell moonshine, giving half the sales to the Lodge.

johnj1582

ooh, that sounds good brother! I'm still trying to decide on what to make for my summer beer this year. I was thinking a steam beer perhaps, or an IPA.

G

Gary

Anyone have any recipes for us home brewers that they want to share? It would be uber cool to come up with a Freemason brew based on colonial ingredients....

Casey

MM, RAM, 32nd.
Any chance I could get a mead recipe from you? Just finished re-racking a gallon of metheglin, but the honey character seems mostly gone- it tastes more like an insanely strong white wine at this point.

sgvfreemason

Anyone have any recipes for us home brewers that they want to share? It would be uber cool to come up with a Freemason brew based on colonial ingredients....
I like this idea!! I try to brew beers based on the next season. Cream Ale now, but winters I do stouts and such. A year ago I made malt liquor.. oh man.. really strong! :eek:

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Any chance I could get a mead recipe from you? Just finished re-racking a gallon of metheglin, but the honey character seems mostly gone- it tastes more like an insanely strong white wine at this point.
Remind me when I get back from Shriners in Houston. I'll see what I can dig up. You can try searching the mead forums too.