How are Shriners related to Masons?

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Shriners started in 1870. This was after most Grand Lodges had outlawed alcohol. There was a group that met for lunch at the Knickerbocker Cottage on Sixth Avenue in New York. They wanted to have more fun as they felt most lodges because too stodgy.

It was started by Dr. Walter Fleming and a traveling actor named Billy Florience. Florence created a fun little play and Fleming liked it so much they added the concept to their meetings, with help from Charles McClenachan, William Sleigh Paterson and Albert Rawson. In 1872 they little group decalred themselves to be the charter members of the Mecca Temple of the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine (A.A.O.N.M.S. for short, which rearranged spells A MASON), and was shorted to Shriners.

Today there are close to 500,000 members with 191 Shrine centers or Chapters.

That all being said, and may have been more info then you were looking for, all Shriners are Masons, however not all Masons are Shriners. Before the year 2000, you had to become a Freemason, then after becoming Master, go through either the Scottish or York Rite, before you are allowed to join the Shrine. Today, you just have to be a Master Mason. I've known a few people who joined just to go to the Shriners.

That all being said, I think it is a great organization. The charity they support, Shriners Hospitals are amazing. For those that have not heard, there was a plane crash recently here in Fl. There was a young boy who has been burnt very badly. The Shriners flew him to Cincinnati, Ohio burn center from here in Florida. They boy will receive all medical treatments for free there. Not only that, they are paying for the family to be flown up, lodging and meals while the son receives treatment. The family will pay nothing for all of this. They can donate, if they wish, but it is not required. Their hospitals are truly a gift to those in need.

SageMother

That sort of flies in the face of the theories that alcohol consumption renders people less valuable members of any society!

mystangs

I was initiated into Shrinedom a month after I was raised. It has been alot of fun, I joined a motorized unit (driving the mini cars) and have seen what the money we raise does. On our Christmas tree lot there were two little boys running around and we were told they were burnt very bad and the Hospital helped them recover. It is true, the one thing that the hospital does not have is a Billing department!

So I will continue to take the little tabs off my soda cans to recycle for the hospital, every little but helps.

ncjwr

i had no idea shriners and masons had a connection! i thought i knew some good history facts too...thats something i have never found anywhere. you learn something new everyday...

reviewer

Do you find any conflicts with being a Shriner and a Mason? I do not know much about the Shriners, personally.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Generally speaking every masonic body has a specific "charity" which they support. Fund raisers if not ear-marked for another purpose are suppose to go to said charity. Blue lodge is the first step in masonry and in Pennsylvania our main charity is the D.A.R.E. (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) program. Knights Templar in Pennsylvania support the eye foundation. Grotto Prophets support Denistry for the Handicapped Children. Shrine or Shriners main charity is the burn hospitals (These are at absolutely no charge to the children treated) All expenses are paid for by the Shrine hospitals collectively. As Jason has stated in one of his treads, to become a member of the Shrine, One must first belong to the "Blue Lodge" then petition the other bodies including the Shrine. You can not become a member of the Shrine without being a member of Blue Lodge.
Hope this information is what you were looking for.

mollyL

My dad is a Shriner down in the Los Angeles area; he was brought into the organization in the late 1970s by a very fine gentleman named Al Greenburg who had one of the most giving and charitable hearts I've ever known. The Shriners used to bring a big circus to the city every year to raise funds for kids and we still have a great photo of our daughter riding an elephant at their circus!

cemab4y

Shriners overseas

At the current time, there are Shrine centers (they used to be called temples) in the USA, Canada, Mexico, and Panama. However there are Shriners in many foreign countries. I am in Iraq.

There are a group of British Shriners, preparing to form a Shrine center in England. The first Shrine center outside of North America will probably be in Brazil.

There are Shriners in Japan, and the Phillippines, who are affiliated with Shrine Centers in California.

Check out

Shriners - Welcome.

for the latest information.