How do I discuss Freemasonry with...

badta00

...my Pastor or my parents? My father tried to get my Grandfather and my Uncle to leave Freemasonry years ago. My Pastor saw me at Brother Ricky Watts' Funeral a couple weeks ago and this Sunday he said he like to talk to me about Freemasonry.
I'm still only a Fellow Craft and even though I did a lot of research and prayer before making the decision; I'm unsure how I should go about my discussion with my Pastor.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
...my Pastor or my parents? My father tried to get my Grandfather and my Uncle to leave Freemasonry years ago. My Pastor saw me at Brother Ricky Watts' Funeral a couple weeks ago and this Sunday he said he like to talk to me about Freemasonry.
I'm still only a Fellow Craft and even though I did a lot of research and prayer before making the decision; I'm unsure how I should go about my discussion with my Pastor.
Personally, I would just say I would rather not have that discussion right now. If that's not good enough for your Pastor, then tell him the truth, you made the decision prayerfully and carefully and have not seen anything that conflicts with your faith. If he persists, buy him a copy of Freemasonry for Dummies.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Personally, I would just say I would rather not have that discussion right now. If that's not good enough for your Pastor, then tell him the truth, you made the decision prayerfully and carefully and have not seen anything that conflicts with your faith. If he persists, buy him a copy of Freemasonry for Dummies.
The Anti-mason crowd wouldn't entertain reading anything written by a Mason. I'd probably be a little more blunt than you suggested, but at the end of the conversation the pastor would shut up about the subject.

badta00

My Pastor is not real pushy but I can tell he genuinely concerned. He wants to send me something to read by email and talk to me when this shutdown here at work is over (in a couple weeks). I've probably already seen the same info because I did a lot of research after my Granddaddy passed away.

CoachN

Builder Builder
The problem with people who want to put on the rescue hat and go out to rescue others is that they assume the person they target needs rescuing and it is in that person's best interest. I am always genuinely concerned when someone wants to provide unasked for counsel that must be administored Face-to-Face in a captive environment. It always comes across like a multilevel marketing ploy.

I have a simple way of dealing with such invitations: I'd love to get together and listen to what you have to share as long as you understand up front that I have no interest in participating in what you have to offer, that I already am following God's plan for me and that you must give me permission in advance to shut the conversation down the moment you start intimating in even the remote-est ways that my soul is in danger.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I hope, during your Fellow Craft degree, that the position of the Compasses was explained to you and that you have received light only partially. As a result, you may not be as well prepared for that discussion as you might be a year or so from now. I'm Senior Deacon of my lodge and learn something new every time I see any of the degrees.

This is the way a lot of anti-masonic propaganda get's spread. You have every reason to trust his guidance as being in your best interest. He is your Pastor after all. You already know he doesn't really understand what you are involved with and has no interest in finding the truth because he believes what he was told by somebody just like him. Under any but extraordinary conditions, you are being placed in a hopeless situation if you consent to this discussion.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
As a cleric (non-denominational) I have had some opportunity to have this discussion from the point of view of a Mason. It is not easy to dissuade anyone who will not truly listen with an open mind and be willing to change their perceptions, which is not easy for a mainstream cleric as it goes against their training.

badta00

I hope, during your Fellow Craft degree, that the position of the Compasses was explained to you and that you have received light only partially. As a result, you may not be as well prepared for that discussion as you might be a year or so from now....
...You have every reason to trust his guidance as being in your best interest. He is your Pastor after all. You already know he doesn't really understand what you are involved with and has no interest in finding the truth because he believes what he was told by somebody just like him. Under any but extraordinary conditions, you are being placed in a hopeless situation if you consent to this discussion.
I realize that I've received Light in Masonry but partially and plan on delaying the conversation indefinitely. But I'll read the material that he wants to give me and research the sources as I did before petitioning and initiation.
He may have preconceived notions about Masonry but I don't know the extent of them. He told me before Sunday School that he would like to talk to me sometime. I had two immediate thoughts:
1. He wanted to know if my wife and I had decided on day to join the church(officially).

2. He wanted to discuss my involvement in Freemasonry. (because he had seen me involved with the Masonic Funeral).

After Sunday School he told me it was concerning Freemasonry. He said he was in no way attacking me or my involvement but wanted to give me some info that I probably didn't know. I told him that I realized some people had problems with Christian involvement in it. But because my Father had tried to get my Grandfather to get out years ago; I had researched heavily, prayed about it and promised my wife, myself, and God that if I found anything against my beliefs in Freemasonry that I would not remain involved. He said he appreciated my honesty we'd talk sometime.
With this shutdown and my normal work schedule, it'll be over a month before I can even make it back to church.
I know I'm rambling here. Goodnight all.

jaya

You are not rambling. I had the same concerns about joining freemasonry. I am a Christian first and foremost. If I ever felt that there was something that went against my beliefs then I would walk away. Those that know me know that I would do just that. I did have a conversation with a pastor one time that was anti masonic. After listening to him for some time I asked him what he thought of Robert Baylor, Geoffrey Fisher (Archbishop of Canterbury), Joseph Fort Newton, Norman Vincent Peale, and other religious leaders were good Christians and would stay with an organization that went against their religious beliefs. They were all freemasons. There are many more as well.

pcwardlaw

I did research before I joined as well. And even asked the peacher at the church I was attending before I joined.What he thought . He told me as long as people didn't treat it as though it was a church.he didn't see anything wrong with joining.

I think the answer has been touched upon it is just a matter of delivery.

Get yourself a copy of "Freemasonry for Dummies", inscribe it with your name and Lodge details then accidentally leave it lying around where your Father can find it.

With any luck if he thinks he's getting into your "secret" stuff he might actually read it and learn a thing or two which would help him.

badta00

Thank for all your replies, Brothers. The info that my Pastor wanted to share with me was a print out of the book by Rev. John Ankerberg and Dr. John Weldon; "The Secret Teachings of the Masonic Lodge".
I read it and took notes on items that didn't seem right and then did some research on the authors.
I found an online version of, " Is It True What They Say About Freemasonry? ", and printed the chapter and highlighted the problems in his print out and the answers in my print out. I also gave him my copy of "Freemasonry for Dummies" that I had already been writing in and highlighting areas.
He thanked me for the info and said he was going to contact the authors of the he book and tell of their errors. I told him they know but don't care. He has read the "Freemasonry for Dummies" . He told me that he trusted my judgment that I would do what is right.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Thank for all your replies, Brothers. The info that my Pastor wanted to share with me was a print out of the book by Rev. John Ankerberg and Dr. John Weldon; "The Secret Teachings of the Masonic Lodge".
I read it and took notes on items that didn't seem right and then did some research on the authors.
I found an online version of, " Is It True What They Say About Freemasonry? ", and printed the chapter and highlighted the problems in his print out and the answers in my print out. I also gave him my copy of "Freemasonry for Dummies" that I had already been writing in and highlighting areas.
He thanked me for the info and said he was going to contact the authors of the he book and tell of their errors. I told him they know but don't care. He has read the "Freemasonry for Dummies" . He told me that he trusted my judgment that I would do what is right.
Now that's a good Pastor! I'm delighted that you made the effort to show him the truth and that he was willing to accept it. It speaks volumes about the esteem he holds you in. You are a credit to the Fraternity.