How long were you in Blue Lodge?

I have been in blue lodge for coming up 3 years and I am just now thinking about petitioning Royal Arch... We'll see how things go!

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I think the big question is what are you looking to get out of joining an appendant body? If it's about joining another club, or for social reasons... have at it. If you think that you will learn some secret that the BL doesn't offer, I'd say you may want to consider putting off joining for a while.

kblair210

I wanted to get involved in the charity work for the children which Shriners do. It has nothing to do with further education, secrets or the like. It's purely to join a group which does a large amount of good for others.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I think the big question is what are you looking to get out of joining an appendant body? If it's about joining another club, or for social reasons... have at it. If you think that you will learn some secret that the BL doesn't offer, I'd say you may want to consider putting off joining for a while.
I saw a presentation on York Rite at Lodge of Instruction a few months ago. The presenter, who was wearing a very impressive hat, told us that if we wanted to recover the word that was lost we would have to join York Rite as they know it.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I wanted to get involved in the charity work for the children which Shriners do. It has nothing to do with further education, secrets or the like. It's purely to join a group which does a large amount of good for others.
The Shrine is certainly well known for their philanthropy, but for the sake of discussion I respectfully submit that freemasonry in every state has it's own charity. All of the bodies have a charitable cause of some sort. In the end, do what makes you happy. Those little cars the Shriners drive are cool too. ;)

I saw a presentation on York Rite at Lodge of Instruction a few months ago. The presenter, who was wearing a very impressive hat, told us that if we wanted to recover the word that was lost we would have to join York Rite as they know it.
Sounds like an awesome sales pitch. I've recovered the word via my study in the BL and I'm not a YR Mason.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia

It is the very same sales pitch that those with that fancy number 33 of the Scottish Rite beside their names throws around to new Masons also (at least around here) .

kblair210

The Shrine is certainly well known for their philanthropy, but for the sake of discussion I respectfully submit that freemasonry in every state has it's own charity.
From my somewhat limited personal experience as well as discussions I've had with other brothers about the level of BL charity work, trying to compare BL to Shriners in the field of charity is not valid. I'm not complaining; many would say (and have) the role or specialty of BL is education while Shriners specialty is charity work for children. They each have their purpose, and for me personally, they each fill their own void which the other is incapable of filling.

Those little cars the Shriners drive are cool too. ;)
No kidding! I'm already trying to find out how much a trailer would cost and how I could get the wife to agree to it.. :)

jaya

The Blue Lodge does have their charities they support. Here in NC we have 3 official charities sponsored by the GL and each lodge might have some others they support as well. The Shrine does good work with their hospital and wanting to get involved with them was the main reason I petitioned my lodge. I have yet to join the shrine. While they do good work, they do not add any masonic teachings. By that I mean they are more social oriented and do not have masonic teachings other than what is learned in the blue lodge. At least that has been told to me by many members of the shrine. If I ever do petition the shrine, I am not sure how active I would be in many of their activities. The charities of the blue lodge also help children many times. We have a Masonic Home For Children that care for orphans, which is part of our obligation. They do an outstanding job. Unfortunately, it is only one of 5 remaining masonic homes in the country. They are in no trouble of closing. However, they do not take care of the number of kids they once did due to changes in federal and state regulations concerning placement of kids. Many times the government believes that the best place for a kid is to leave them in a situation that is unsafe or destructive. Long term care of kids is almost unheard of. I know that there are about 30 spaces available for kids of all ages at our masonic home but they are having trouble finding kids. Money or space is not the issue. (/soapbox off) Sorry, the Oxford home is one of my favorite charities and after going there for a visit, love what it is doing.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
{snip}Sorry, the Oxford home is one of my favorite charities and after going there for a visit, love what it is doing.
Jay-
I was seeing a kid in clinic for the usual thing most kids come to a psych practice for-ADHD. I'd seen her several times. At the end of the last visit, dad said: "Are you a Shriner?"
I said (a little off guard), "No, just a Blue Lodge Mason...You?"
He replied, "No, I've never joined, but I was raised at the Oxford Orphanage. I saw your ring."
I asked, "Are you going to the Reunion in October, from the 12th to the 14th?"
"No, I didn't know about it, but I'd love to go back up there!"

Sometimes, it all seems Worth It!
(note to non-NC: Oxford Orphanage is now The Masonic Home for Children at Oxford.)

Hope to see you at the parade, or at The Pit At Oxford [BBQ competition]!

S&F

jaya

My wife and I are planning on going this year. We missed last year. They are having a 5k as well so we are planning on running in that.

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
Wow, Brother Bob, could I have a very long talk with you about kids and ADHD.........

To get back to the topic, when I joined, it was for the purpose of being a Mason. I may one day join an appendant body but it was never the reason I joined.