I fell on my head

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Well, on Wednesday, Halloween, I was leaning against a railing on the top of my back stairs when it let go and tossed me onto the pavers in the yard six feet below. Thankfully, my daughter saw it happen and called an ambulance for me. At the first ER, they thought I had broken my C7 vertebrae so they sent me off to Mass General Hospital to get looked at. After 18 hours of pain in the two ERs, they finally determined that I had not broken my neck.

While waiting for the news, a young lady wearing an MGH uniform asked if I would be wiling to participate in a head injury study. I agreed immediately. After speaking with the Doctor running the study, it seems they can't include me in it if I'm on any narcotics. I stopped taking the pain meds I was prescribed after this and switched to advil. I see the doctor and his team tomorrow evening.

The men of my lodge have been great with visits and offers of help. I couldn't ask for better friends and brothers.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
i just read the report from the hospital it seems i did break something. the diagnosis is "c7 transverse process fracture." i guess i did break my neck. thankfully, it just hurts and everything seems to be in working order.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
C7 is the last cervical vertabrae in your neck (just above the thoracic vertabrae).

For those who dont know, thats the lumpy bone at the base of your neck. The fracture he received broke one of the pieces of the bone. It's most certainly very painful.

I will say, for a neck fracture that's the best one to have. Any fractures above that vertabrae can be lethal or cause paralysis. You were very lucky Brother!

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
C7 is the last cervical vertabrae in your neck (just above the thoracic vertabrae).

For those who dont know, thats the lumpy bone at the base of your neck. The fracture he received broke one of the pieces of the bone. It's most certainly very painful.

I will say, for a neck fracture that's the best one to have. Any fractures above that vertabrae can be lethal or cause paralysis. You were very lucky Brother!
Yes, I was very lucky. I saw an Orthopedics guy today. He poked exactly where it hurt most and told me I'm going to be in a lot of pain for a while but that no permanent damage was done. My regular doctor told me that the more serious thing at the moment is the concussion and that I need to "rest my brain for a while." The best news was when the Orthopedics guy told me I didn't need to wear the horrible neck brace as the injury was low enough on my spine that it wasn't doing anything for me.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Following your physician's (or PA's) instructions and working hard on physical therapy will greatly reduce the possibility of traumatic arthritis ("rheumatism setting in") in future years.
Good luck, my brother, I do not envy your pain.

S&F

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
How are you feeling John?
Much better. I still have concussion symptoms, but that will take time. The aches and pains are being controlled by medications. The biggest issue now is I have a third degree to be part of in 11 days. I lost a bunch of time learning and rehearsing my lines because of the concussion. I couldn't focus on anything for more than a few minutes. I'll get it done, though. I just hope I can do a good job for the candidates.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
The concussion symptoms have pretty much subsided at this point, but I lost a lot of time that should have been spent learning my part in the Third Degree we are doing tonight on five candidates. I did pretty badly at our first rehearsal but much better on Sunday. I've been studying in every spare moment and think I've got it now. We shall see tonight.

I'm waiting to hear back from the Traumatic Brain Injury study Doctor for my next appointment. I should do a lot better there, too.

The pain at the break is pretty much gone and only my lower back is giving me fits. Buy stock in the company that makes Motrin as they will have great sales this quater o_O

Wallens05

Master Mason
Well brother I hope your part in the their degree went well and am glad to hear the affects are gone from the concussion hope the neck pain subsides now. Glad to hear no permeant damage

S&F

Steven