I Have Mild Austism

Winter

I've been here before
I am curious how you feel this may effect your participation in an organization like the Masons. As well as what, if any, your specific diagnosis is since there is no diagnosis called "mild autism."

When I was 7 I went to this place to get tested and they said I was mildly autistic and I don't it will effect anything.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
You may have Autism, but poor grammar is not indicitive to Aspergers or Autism. Poor spelling and abbreviating words yes. Lack of punctuation whatsoever no.

I dont doubt that you have a condition, but...

There is no issue with the occasional mis spelled word, or occassional poor punctuation. No one is trying to condemn you for that.

Its the complete lack of any punctuation whatsoever that is the issue. 50 to 100 words with no punctuation is extremely hard to read, let alone comprehend your thoughts or message.

Yoda once said- "Try not- DO you must!"

Winter

I've been here before
There is no such diagnosis is my point. Any form of autism will affect either communication or interpersonal skills or both. Which will most definitely have an impact in a fraternity.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
There is no such diagnosis is my point. Any form of autism will affect either communication or interpersonal skills or both. Which will most definitely have an impact in a fraternity.
I would agree with that assessment.

I know my typing is bad I have been typing I'm not good when it comes to punctuation I don't know were to put them.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I know my typing is bad I have been typing I'm not good when it comes to punctuation I don't know were to put them.
Did you graduate from school? It sounds like you have an educational problem, not so much a medical one.

If you were told that your Autism wouldnt be a problem with joining Freemasonry, you were misinformed to some extent.

You need to be able to memorize up to 1300 words at a time and be able to recite them verbatim. This is required for each degree in my jurisdiction.

Your ability to communicate effectively is imperative if you expect to hold social discourse with a Mason.

MWS

So guys think I won't be do it well that's fine I'm willing to try and prove you guys wrong that's all I have say about that.
Good luck to you.
Myself and many of the brethren have difficulty with the memory work...it's one of the reasons I became a Mason, it certainly helps with public speaking. The brain is a muscle that needs to be exercised!

Good luck to you.
Myself and many of the brethren have difficulty with the memory work...it's one of the reasons I became a Mason, it certainly helps with public speaking. The brain is a muscle that needs to be exercised!
thank you

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Thats what I like to hear James. Start training with the forums. Work on your grammar and punctuation with us. My comment about you graduating was to imply that in order to graduate, you would have to have had learned punctuation.

Apparently you dont communicate just fine. Otherwise you wouldnt be having this discussion with us and those on other forums.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
And If Do fail then oh well. Attest I tried.
Why not give yourself an advantage and work on your weak spots (grammar) ahead of time.

You can do it if you really want to. Saying youll try, and then just hoping for the best outcome is not the way to go.

In order to improve, you have to physically do something about it.

That means if you dont know how to punctuate... Learn! Read a book anout it... Visit a website that teaches grammar... Etc.

If you wont put forth an effort to do this simple thing, you will only waste your money, time, and the time of those charged with teaching you what tou need to know to be a Mason.

I will try my best I use grammar sites sometimes. I been typing like this for a long time. sometimes people make fun of me, They thing I'm dumb which I'm not.