I Have Mild Austism

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
It will change your life, if you allow it.
Good luck on your journey!

Keep us posted on your progress.

S&F

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
James, I have been following your progress here and on other sites. I believe California requires men to memorize the lessons from the degrees including their Obligations. Once these lessons are memorized, they are "returned", recited in open lodge in front of all the members and a vote is taken to determine if you will be allowed to proceed to the next degree. The lessons are also written in a cipher consisting of only two letters of each word. The lessons are each about 10 pages long. Every Mason in that jurisdiction is required to return their lessons between their degrees. Nobody can make it easier for you. We are a private club and are not bound to make any allowance for those who cannot or will not do the work required to progress. Those who are qualified by the ancient landmarks and their own abilities are welcomed into the fraternity but Freemasonry is not for everyone or even for most people.

If you have as much trouble memorizing as you do typing, this may be an insurmountable obstacle to your progress.

jaya

I think if tell them about my autism they might make it easier for me. I'm willing to work on it.
I would not expect them to make it easier for you. There is also a requirement about mental issues in my jurisdiction. Nothing against someone with autism, they would have difficulty here. And yes, there is much memorization involved. It needs to be close to word perfect.

jaya

That is a start. Remember, it only takes a single no vote. Be honest with them and be yourself.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I would not expect them to make it easier for you. There is also a requirement about mental issues in my jurisdiction. Nothing against someone with autism, they would have difficulty here. And yes, there is much memorization involved. It needs to be close to word perfect.
I have a Brother who is Visually Impaired his Lodge received dispensation to allow him lip read during his degrees.