I'm about to petition

sk0ttomann

My name is Scott, 31 year old married father of one. I'm an IT administrator for a fairly large engineering firm. I've been interested in the craft for a few years but only recently considered joining.

I'm currently hung up on who to use as business references. I always knew there were a lot of misconceptions about the craft by non-members, but I isn't realize how ludicrous most of then were until I started doing some research. I don't want to give those I list the wrong idea about who I am and why I want to join. Heck, I'm not even sure how to approach the subject with those I'm considering listing.

Any ideas, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

sk0ttomann

I was planning on asking them first, if hate to have that sort of thing just pop up on them unannounced. Just as I'd would check with ten before using them as a reference for a job interview.

I did manage to secure one reference so far, and I'm waiting to hear back from another that I had asked. I'm just trying to figure out who else to use.

In researching masonry and figuring out whether I wanted to join, I came across a LOT of anti-masonic garbage on the internet. Now I know the nature of the internet, and opinions are pretty polarized one way or the other on most topics. I'd just hate to ask my manager or coworker to vouch for me on my petition, find out they're anti-masonic, and cause issues at work.

Have any of you run into situations like this, or am I right in saying that the anti-masons on the internet are all just wearing tin hats and waiting for an Elvis sighting?

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Talk about National Treasure, or Dan Brown's books and see what people have to say about them. Not a perfect gauge but not bad!
When I petitioned I found out that one of the department heads was in that Lodge and was on the Investigation Committee.

sk0ttomann

I've submitted my petition today. They'll be presenting my petition on Monday, then the interview process. I'm really excited, and though I've read all about the process, I'm not sure what really to expect.

Will the fact that I've only known one of my references for a month or so be an issue? He just started working at my company and is in my department. I guess you could say I'm his unofficial manager, so I've been showing him the ropes and asking him to take care of things for me.

sk0ttomann

Just wanted to post an update. I petitioned and had my interview. It went well! My wife was actually disappointed she couldn't join! They talked to her a bit about eastern star.

They're voting on December 2nd. I wish it would hurry up and get here, but I see the value of doing things the way they've always been done. I think it's helping me deal with my impatience in other areas of my life.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Just wanted to post an update. I petitioned and had my interview. It went well! My wife was actually disappointed she couldn't join! They talked to her a bit about eastern star.

They're voting on December 2nd. I wish it would hurry up and get here, but I see the value of doing things the way they've always been done. I think it's helping me deal with my impatience in other areas of my life.
We've all been there. Congrats and best wishes!

Docjeff

As I'm sure you already know, there is great wisdom in the craft and its ways.

sk0ttomann

Actually it wasn't early, I was initiated on Monday! The candidate originally set to do the rite had to cancel and I was able to take his spot.

What an experience! My mentor said he was quite impressed with me.