Info about OES

RoughAshlar

How much like Blue Lodge Masonry is the OES? The only info I've been able to find is sketchy and limited at best. Keep in mind, this info isn't for me, but for my wife who has expressed an interest. I think it would be good for her to be involved in the Masonic world since it occupies so much of my time. There is an OES chapter that meets at the same center as my Lodge and Chapter, but, no one I've talked to, nor their wives seem to be members.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
The wife and myself are both in the OES , along with both of our Mothers . There is only one initiation degree then your in . You don't have to go through degrees like the Blue Lodge .

The Order of the Eastern Star is an adoptive rite of Freemasonry with teachings based on the Bible and objectives that are charitable and benevolent. The founder of OES was Dr. Robert Morris, a lawyer and educator from Boston, Massachusetts, who was a Master Mason and Past Grand Master of Kentucky. Dr. Morris intended his creation to become a female branch of Freemasonry, but he failed to overcome the great opposition this idea engendered. After his first published ritual in 1849-50, he became associated with Robert Macoy who wrote and published a ritual based on Morris' in 1867. The first Grand Chapter was organized in Michigan in the same year. (There is evidence for an organization of the same name founded variously in 1788 or 1793, but this group was defunct by 1867.) Subordinate (local) chapters operate under charter from state level grand chapters which are responsible to the General Grand Chapter at the International Eastern Star temple in Washington, D.C.

Members must be eighteen years or older and either Master Masons in good standing or properly related to a Master Mason in good standing. The latter category includes wives; widows; sisters; daughters; mothers; granddaughters; step-mothers; step daughters; step-sisters; and half-sisters. In 1994 this was expanded to include nieces, daughters-in- law, and grandmothers.

Each chapter has eighteen officers, some elected and others appointed. Two offices are specifically male (Patron and Associate Patron) while nine offices are specifically female (including Matron and Associate Matron). While the Worthy Matron is considered to be the presiding officer of the chapter, the degrees cannot be conferred without a presiding brother in good standing (hence the Patron and Associate Patron).

Each chapter retains the right to decide who shall be a member of the organization. Election to the degrees must be unanimous, without debate, and secret. The successful candidate must profess a belief in a Supreme Being and is initiated in five degrees, which are conferred in one ceremony. (When Eastern Star was created, it was intended to be the first of a three degree series. The second and third degrees were Queen of the South and the Order of the Amaranth, respectively.)

Interestingly enough, OES requires only the belief in a Supreme Being even though the degrees are based in both the Old and New Testaments. While non-Christians are not specifically barred from membership, it would seem to be difficult to be other than Christian and belong to the Order.

Hope this helps . Here's alink for the General Grand Chapter .....General Grand Chapter OES . You may have been here already , but they have some good info .

RoughAshlar

Where you able to be there during your wifes initiation? Can you attend her meetings as well?
She's only began thinking about joining, we really don't know much about it. I've been asking around, but no one that Im aware of in my lodge is affiliated with the OES here. But, there is no rush on anything, I think it may have just been a passing interest as she hasn't brought it up in a while anyway.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Where you able to be there during your wifes initiation? Can you attend her meetings as well?
Yes , I'm an officer in our Chapter . I really wish we could have went through together . I went in long before she did . She was on the fence about it till after I went through . A lot of Master Masons I know went through with their wives . A MM does have to be a member of the OES to watch your wife go through or even enter a Chapter . Just being a MM does not allow you to enter a Chapter and you will be turned away be the Sentinal if a you tried .