Introduction

DarbyRides

Hello everyone. I'm a prospective Eureka Masonic Lodge #16, Auburn California. The first meeting of the Lodge in Auburn was held November 9, 1851.

I have my petition but am trying to figure out how to pay for the initiation fee. I have attended a tour of the Lodge and a dinner prior to October's Stated Meeting and also volunteered next week to to help in the kitchen etc. for the Rainbow Girls' charity spaghetti dinner next week. I will be so happy when I can afford the initiation fee. Being unemployed makes it just not a realty for me right now.

Nonetheless I am educating myself as best I can, and being as involved as I can without actually being an EA yet.

God Bless,

Darby Collier
Auburn, CA

DarbyRides

Submitting my petition tomorrow and it will be presented Monday. It has been over a year process for me to save the application fees but finally I get to turn it in. Now I pray the Great Architect of the Universe sees fit to prompt those who review my petition to allow me to take my next steps in the journey to be a better man.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Submitting my petition tomorrow and it will be presented Monday. It has been over a year process for me to save the application fees but finally I get to turn it in. Now I pray the Great Architect of the Universe sees fit to prompt those who review my petition to allow me to take my next steps in the journey to be a better man.
Welcome! Jump in and stir up some discussion!
I really don't want to discourage you or seem rude, but if it has taken a year to come up with the initiation fee, are you sure that this is where you need to put that resource? We try to be careful to not let Masonry take anything away from other areas of our lives, i.e., family obligations.
I can relate that time is a resource I did not have to put into the lodge until my children reached mid-teens.

"...but it is not meant that Masonry should interfere with your other duties."

Please consider carefully that your life is in balance and can accept this obligation.

Sincerely and fraternally,

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I really don't want to discourage you or seem rude, but if it has taken a year to come up with the initiation fee, are you sure that this is where you need to put that resource? We try to be careful to not let Masonry take anything away from other areas of our lives, i.e., family obligations.
I can relate that time is a resource I did not have to put into the lodge until my children reached mid-teens.

Please consider carefully that your life is in balance and can accept this obligation.

I concur with Brother Bob, welcome, kick some dirt with us, and contemplate your decision in light of the overall good. There are yearly dues, in my jurisdiction there are fees for each of the 3 degrees, table lodges, events, etc.

DarbyRides

Great and understood advice. It took a year because I was unemployed. That is no longer the case. I have taken careful consideration to all you are saying and discussed it at length with my wife, as well.

Thank you for the warning though.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
It always helps to keep your wife in the discussion. It will help when you would like to go to the meetings.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
It always helps to keep your wife in the discussion. It will help when you would like to go to the meetings.
Even more so if a Master-Elect asks if you will accept appointment to a 'Chair,' an appointment that will culminate about 6 years later with you presiding as Master of the Lodge.
I had a very frank discussion with Sandi after Doc Easterling asked me to be Junior Steward. I did not want to be one of those Junior Wardens whose wife thinks he spends too much time at the lodge, and declines election as Senior Warden. Only after she agreed to the 7 year commitment that I accepted.
It was eight years, but that's a whole 'nother story!

S&F