MM Topic Investigation Committee

goomba

I was assigned to my first investigation committee yesterday. I was wondering in anyone had any pointers. Thanks.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Based on the age of the candidate, I will either engage actively in the investigation, or observe and interject on occasion. Those closer to my age I find it easier to actively participate. But overall I like to ask why they want to be a Mason, what their interests are, and what they hope to get out of Masonry. Then I ask the tough question... What is it that they can offer the Fraternity?

I also feel it is imperative to ask questions of their spouse (if they have one) and get the response from her. Also don't forget to tell the petitioner how masonry has improved your life, and what you've gotten from it so far.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
In some lodges, complacent masons have interviewed the candidate by telephone or not at all. This is an insult to the candidate, and a disservice to the lodge. You are a guardian of the West Gate on the investigation committee. Masonry is not for everyone. You need to satisfy yourself that this man is a proper fit for Masonry and that he will not be a stain upon the Craft. Look him in the eye. Ask some questions about if he has ever gotten involved in anything that he would be ashamed to see in the newspaper.
Look at his petition. Don't assume that someone else has checked to see if there are any disqualifying situations, like probation.
In Grand Lodge a few days ago, we learned of a lodge that did not bother to look at a petition to see that the applicant was on probation. His petition should not have been even accepted. He was Initiated before someone outside the lodge reported his legal status. It is not considered his fault, but his Work has been halted and he will have to request an extension to proceed after his probation is completed. His lodge has been ordered extra Masonic Education in the subject of investigating a petitioner! It sounded as if his petition was submitted prior to our mandating criminal background checks.
Do not let your desire for greater numbers blind you to the candidates shortcomings. We need Masons, not members.

S&F

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
My Jurisdiction requires background checks, so there are fewer boneheads trying to get in to get their share of the Templar Treasure. The first thing I do is google the guy. It can sometimes be very revealing. I call every reference and ask some normal questions and then I will ask, "And what about his little problem?" Which is mostly answered with, "What problem?" But sometimes I get, "Oh, you know about that...".

The main thing is to make sure you are doing a thorough investigation. After all, this is somebody who wants to join our family.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Try and meet at their residence. I know not every Lodge does this, but try. When you show up look around. You can see a lot of clues around someones house. From basics like crosses on the wall meaning he believes in a higher power, artwork on the walls can give clues to personality. Just look around. Some people have book cases and you can see what they are reading.

We are lucky to have a few police officers in our Lodge and have been working with them to help get beyond the answers providing, or see if the person is lying.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
[snip]We are lucky to have a few police officers in our Lodge and have been working with them to help get beyond the answers providing, or see if the person is lying.

Brother Jason-
This is dangerous ground! It is illegal to utilize criminal background computer systems for other than official purposes! If your peace officer brother is detected looking at this information [and there will be a login] he will lose his police certification, his job, and possibly his freedom.
NC (AF&AM) Grand Lodge discussed this a couple of years ago, and police officers attending lined up to discourage lodges and masons from pressuring PO brothers to "take a peek at the records." We now have a paid [it added $15 to our petition fee] service to check the consent and get the info legally.

S&F

goomba

I echo what Bro. Bob said. I am a police officer and cannot use ANY of my law enforcement systems or risk 10 years in prison, the lose of my job, but mostly the lose of my integrity. The state has trusted me with a great amount of power and resources. To use them for any other reason than that of a law enforcement officer is a betrayal of that trust. I know the county court houses in Alabama has a public access computer to look up records this is what I use.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
In the Milwaukee area we have the circuit court website. Public access, no login, enough info to be useful for investigation.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Brother Jason-
This is dangerous ground! It is illegal to utilize criminal background computer systems for other than official purposes! If your peace officer brother is detected looking at this information [and there will be a login] he will lose his police certification, his job, and possibly his freedom.
NC (AF&AM) Grand Lodge discussed this a couple of years ago, and police officers attending lined up to discourage lodges and masons from pressuring PO brothers to "take a peek at the records." We now have a paid [it added $15 to our petition fee] service to check the consent and get the info legally.

S&F
I did not say they are using their computer system. But their skills in lie detection, finding fact finding by how to read someone.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I did not say they are using their computer system. But their skills in lie detection, finding fact finding by how to read someone.
This was exactly how I took your post , but they do bring up a good point for those who do not know . I have seen lodges in my area who's law enforcement members are doing this very thing for their lodges . I have voiced this concern in my lodge so they would stop pressuring our in house LEO to perform these checks . They are placing not only his job but just maybe his freedom on the line for the lodge , because he will sometimes do it so as not to let them down .