Is the lodge I'm joining accepted?

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I have a quick question, is there things I have to learn for the 2nd degree and memorize? My mentor has been on vacation after my initiation like I've said and he got back a couple days ago. My next degree is in a few weeks, is there like a lot I have to prepare for? Him being on vacation we havnt started preparing yet? I was just wondering how quickly you can be "prepared" . I know all states are different sort of but im pretty sure we all generally prepare and do the same things so I'll accept any of your answers.

If you are getting ready to experience the FC degree there is nothing to do on your part except show up and enjoy the degree. Afterward, you will have material to learn to prove your proficiency before being entitled to progress to the Third Degree.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
You may need to prove "proficiency" in the Entered Apprentice degree. This varies by jurisdiction and even lodge. Some just make sure you know the things you have been taught: words, grips and signs. Others require you to recite a series of questions and answers called a catechism including reciting your obligation.

MWS

Josh, I'll echo Windrider. Without giving away too much of the fun, in my juristiction an EA must prove himself before becoming a FC. There is first the Ex.BP or examination before passing where you are asked a series of questions. Once successfully answered you proceed to recite your OB in front of the brethren. The Lodge is knocked up to the 2nd and you will do your Preambulations...basically an examination of the words, grips and signs in front of the Wardens. These parts are all familier to the EA - in fact, a FC degree cannot be scheduled until the EA has "presented his work" at an education night and the instructure gives him a passing grade to the WM.

Learn your stuff and have a wonderfull degree!

Josh, What they said! Jursdictions being different, I am standing my 2nd Degree catechism proficiency in front of the brethren this coming monday night, there are about 65 questions, plus reciting the obligation. But I have had since Feb 18th to learn it. We have classes for an hour 3-4 times a week. Having a Past Master for a father helps too!!

Have fun with and enjoy it, as always its something that will stay with you forever!

dajofa

David -

Glad to see you are using the proper avatar for your degree! Must have taken time to find that one. Good luck in your studies!

Dave

Thanks! I actually modified it from another file! I hate using MS Paint but it worked!

Josh's is correct as well for an EA!

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I guess I didn't have enough coffee this A.M. I was thinking he had already given his proficiency as an EA. Muh bad... LOL

arcxjo

Goat Jockey
In Pennsylvania, there really hasn't been a standard "proficiency" requirement for about 10 or 15 years now, although individual lodges are still permitted to require them (there is still a book that has suggested Q&A, and you should have received a pamphlet of from your lodge after your 1°).

At the very least, though, you're supposed to know the grips for each degree and the dialogue around them, although I've been to quite a few degrees where the candidates needed more than a little prompting there (some have poor mentors, some get nervous, some are just lazy). If your mentor is back from vacation, I would suggest you give him a call and see how thorough your lodge's requirements are. The standard "catechism" is actually pretty easy to get down (particularly for someone as bright and motivated as you seem to be). All three degrees' are under 20 questions, and all but one or two questions are directly out of the degrees -- even when my lodge was doing the full catechism, all the candidates I've mentored have taken less than a single hour session per degree (unless they brought beer to the mentoring :) ) -- so I wouldn't worry too much about the time you've already missed, but I would recommend you at least check in with a brother from your own lodge so you know specifically how much you might need to prepare.

Josh

Meeting with the mentor today, he said there's not to much, he said well meet for about 30 min every few days and i'll be fine. On a side/off topic note lol, not only do i get the 2nd degree this month, ill find out if i got accepted into a school that has a 20% acceptance rate lol. (sounds small but trust me, I have went above and beyond for this school, countless recommendations from important figures in the school, A+ the entrance exams, making a GREAT impression in the interview there). I'll be sure to let you's know if i got accepted to, i should honestly know about the same day as my 2nd degree ( the mid-end of the month time). I wont have much to say about my masonic progression until the 2nd degree, so for now lol, there's some small talk.

jaya

Congrats brother. Learn as much as you can. It takes about a month or more, on average, between degrees here. On a side note, check your code and make sure it is ok to use the s&c as your avatar. Here an EA or FC is not allowed to display it in any form due to most people not knowing the differences between them.

Josh

Well, 2nd degree was just as well as the first one. I did extremely well overall, didn't stumble upon anything, remembered it all, surprised myself LOL!

Great job Josh! Another leg of your journey complete! I have another week and a couple days til I am raised, getting anxious!