It can happen to anybody

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
My Brothers,

Last Friday as I was packing up my gear to leave the office, my boss stopped me and said there was an emergency request that just came in from the FBI.

The company I work for provides software and hardware for cell phone companies to give their phones the abilities we all take for granted these days, web surfing, voicemail, texting, etc. The only thing we don't do is voice traffic.

We get these requests from Law Enforcement on a pretty regular basis and I developed the procedures to help. This call was regarding a fourteen year old girl who was missing in Kentucky. She was recorded on video at her school leaving on Tuesday at about 3:00 PM and had not been heard from since. The FBI had been called in by the local Police. They had her cell phone number and asked me if I could tell them anything that might help them out.

I searched through the Call Detail Records (CDRs) for her data transactions. What I saw was sickening and frightening. She had used a web site "tagged.com" that bills itself as "The social media site to meet new people." and had been communicating with an older man. He convinced her to meet him in person. The last thing I saw was her confirming that she would meet him after school on Tuesday.

Due to legal issues, I had to send this information to the carrier rather than directly to the FBI but that didn't slow them down much. They got his cell phone number and tracked him down to Louisiana where he was arrested. The girl was not physically harmed and was taken into protective custody while arrangements were made to return her home. The man was charged with rape and kidnapping.

I write this because this one effected me deeply. I've helped catch cop killers, robbers and escaped convicts but kidnapping and raping a child is just evil. Phones and computers are great tools but we all need to educate our children about their use and potential abuse. Keep your children safe, my brothers.

Sorry, I checked the link I posted and it was broken. I'll post a link to the news story when I get a good one.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Us LEO's can't do our jobs without assistance from citizens. Good job brother!
I was deeply irritated a year or so ago, to see the popularity of the "No Snitches" T-shirts.
At the same time, citizens on the news programs were complaining that the police weren't doing enough to get criminals off the streets, especially in dangerous neighborhoods. Did they not see the connection between the attitude and the results?

To quote the late 60s poster,
"If You're Not Part of the Solution, You're Part of the Problem."

S&F

Winter

I've been here before
I was deeply irritated a year or so ago, to see the popularity of the "No Snitches" T-shirts.
At the same time, citizens on the news programs were complaining that the police weren't doing enough to get criminals off the streets, especially in dangerous neighborhoods. Did they not see the connection between the attitude and the results?
To quote the late 60s poster,
"If You're Not Part of the Solution, You're Part of the Problem."
S&F

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
I am a former 911 dispatcher and I was able to handle most calls, with the exception of anything involving children. They disturbed me so much, I would lose sleep. Needless to say it, for a variety of reasons, I switched back to the career I have been at most of my adult life. I sleep at night much better.

It's understandable why this one bothered you so much.

Excellent work Windrider and I know the girls family is grateful. You can rest easy knowing that.