Jerky

edwmax

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I agree, heating does kill botulism; but you have to have water in the oil for botulism to grow. And, that is why you should use DRY-herbs to infuse. If using fresh herbs, refrigerate while infusing. Then heat the oil above boiling (212 F) to remove any water.
I do not do cold infusion, but what may be cold to some, may not be to others. I make Alton Brown's Firecrackers (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/firecrackers-recipe/index.html). Not sure what your stance is. But my "cold infused" are done in small batches, kept in the fridge, and are gone quickly. Even my jerky I'm lucky to last a week once people find out I made some. I want to try Brown's method, but am afraid I'll love it more. Oils I'll use to flavor salads though, and I have been trying to eat them more.

edwmax

I do not do cold infusion, but what may be cold to some, may not be to others. I make Alton Brown's Firecrackers (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/firecrackers-recipe/index.html). Not sure what your stance is. But my "cold infused" are done in small batches, kept in the fridge, and are gone quickly. Even my jerky I'm lucky to last a week once people find out I made some. I want to try Brown's method, but am afraid I'll love it more. Oils I'll use to flavor salads though, and I have been trying to eat them more.
That recipe is for pickles. I do the same in a 2 gal bucket. With that much salt & vinegar, refrigeration should not be necessary. ... For vegetables, I do refrigerate after 2 weeks to keep the vegs crisper ... I make a great Giardiniera this way. ... Just watch for any mold that 'might' form and skim off. I only had mold on a couple of jars and it was easily killed.

I add salt to water until it taste like sea water; then mix 1/2 & 1/2 with vinegar; add vegetables or peppers. Great pepper sauce ... I make the pepper sauce in 2 gal jars; then pour into smaller jar for the table or gifts.