Job Advice?

Josh

I wasn't sure where to post this, I feel like it fit in here. I have a new job, I'm about a month into it, I hate everything about it, I'm still only 18, literally everyone on the job site talks down to me and treats me like garbage, and when I say "talks down to me" I mean like screaming in my face telling me I'm a F****** idiot, i'm uncomfortable with most of the work, and I'm just plain unhappy here, is it wrong to leave for these reasons? I don't care about not having money for summer, I'll find something I enjoy, money isn't a reason for me to stay here. What do you guys think? (Electrician Job) I'm still in school for a couple weeks, my thinking is just get out now, because I have been going to a school for training for this job, and why waste more time if I know I'm unhappy, right??

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I wasn't sure where to post this, I feel like it fit in here. I have a new job, I'm about a month into it, I hate everything about it, I'm still only 18, literally everyone on the job site talks down to me and treats me like garbage, and when I say "talks down to me" I mean like screaming in my face telling me I'm a F****** idiot, i'm uncomfortable with most of the work, and I'm just plain unhappy here, is it wrong to leave for these reasons? I don't care about not having money for summer, I'll find something I enjoy, money isn't a reason for me to stay here. What do you guys think? (Electrician Job) I'm still in school for a couple weeks, my thinking is just get out now, because I have been going to a school for training for this job, and why waste more time if I know I'm unhappy, right??
You might want to have a talk with your supervisor before you just quit. You certainly don't want to burn bridges this early in your career.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Who is calling you the F*** idiot? is it your boss? either way, that's a hostile work environment and there are serious LEGAL penalties for such activity. I'd let them know that pronto. If they dismiss it, I'd call the dept of labor, and those folks will be glad to pay your old job a visit with an anal probe.

Josh

Ok, well, I had a talk with my boss, they didn't seem to care one bit. I quit, offered them the option of 2 week notice and we professionally agreed that it would be better if I just left. I am now back in school full time. I have a interview friday to take a retiring electrical engineer's job, i have basic electrical knowledge, 3 years of it, but I am in no means an electrical engineer, hopefully I can wow them enough to get this, THIS is the career I have been looking for, praying!

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Ok, well, I had a talk with my boss, they didn't seem to care one bit. I quit, offered them the option of 2 week notice and we professionally agreed that it would be better if I just left. I am now back in school full time. I have a interview friday to take a retiring electrical engineer's job, i have basic electrical knowledge, 3 years of it, but I am in no means an electrical engineer, hopefully I can wow them enough to get this, THIS is the career I have been looking for, praying!
I'd still call the labor board on them. They forced you to quit because of hostile environmental reasons. You lost wages, and had mental anguish. I wouldn't let them off so easy. You just told them it was OK to do that to anyone, and they will likely repeat the process on the next victim who doesn't fit in with their clique. Sack up and make the call.

Josh

True, I'm going to look into it. At the same time, I applied to college, I think I want to major in accounting and get a Masters for something, my mom told me from day one im an office guy, and I tried to prove her wrong getting that electrical job working long hours and hard labor lol, I talked with her the other day and she laughed when i told her she was right, my whole life i've been incredible with numbers and math, I excelled in math my entire life and I think It's time I look into where that can get me.