Job's Daughters

iMav

-==-
Anyone have daughters involved in JD? I have recently petitioned my local lodge... My daughter (5th grade) is very much interested in JD. I believe I have to be a Master Mason before she can petition the group. (hopefully there is no issue with me being accepted into the lodge)

Just doing some upfront research for her. So if any one has some insight into the organization (good or bad), it would be appreciated.

(I have looked at a lot of their info online...however, I am looking for info from a parent's perspective)

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
We do not have a local Job's Daughter Chapter in my area . We do have a Rainbow Girl's Chapter though , I do not know much about them , but they do seem to rather enjoy it .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
No local chapter for that or Rainbow Girls. They are trying to get a Rainbow Girls started again, but I do not think they have enough girls yet.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
They are all struggling in my area , including the Cub/Boy Scouts and other groups like them outside of the Masonic family . It seems kids these days have no time to get away from their facebook, twitter and cellphones .

iMav

-==-
Spoke with the lady that runs JD in a town near here. There numbers are down, but the majority of the kids are 10-11 right now...so that will be a nice shared experience my daughter will have with them (she'll be 11 in Nov).

Found out she doesn't have to wait till I'm a Master Mason because she has a great grandfather (mother's side) that was a Master Mason). She may end up getting initiated into the JD bethel before I get initiated into my lodge. :)

G

Gary

Sounds like fun , I wish more kids took an interest in groups like these .
Me too. My son is thirteen, and he'd like to join the Demolay, but there isn't anything available in our area...

iMav-Glad to hear about your daughters opportunity to join JD!

Wally

They are a wonderful organization and not only will your daughter have a great time, she will learn poise and dignity.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Me too. My son is thirteen, and he'd like to join the Demolay, but there isn't anything available in our area...
Okay, if there isn't a DeMolay Chapter available in your area, here's how you go about FORMING one -

1. Get your son to talk DeMolay up to all his friends. You talk to parents, to anyone who will listen. Get a minimum of 15 boys together who want a Chapter. Get them (and their parents) to sign a list saying that they would join if there was an opportunity and that the parents will not mind, either.

2. Get in touch with DeMolay International (DeMolay International | Find a Chapter). This link will get you to a map where you can find the name, address, phone and email contact for the Jurisdictional Contact nearest you. These people should be willing to bend over backwards to help you.

3. Go to your local Lodge. Show them a list (with signatures of prospective DeMolays AND their parents) and ask them to sponsor a DeMolay Chapter. If they're not interested (shame on them if they're not) then go to your local York Rite, or Scottish Rite, or Shrine and ask them to sponsor. If all your ducks are already in a row, then I can't imagine that you'll have difficulty finding a sponsor.

4. Once you have a Chapter running, get back in touch with that DeMolay representative you talked to in 2 and open a Manor of Squires! Squires is a group of boys from ten to twelve who want to become DeMolays and the DeMolay boys themselves will act as advisors.

GKendle

I am the Associate Bethel Guardian for Bethel #26 in Maryland. I will help where I can. Just ask. It is a great organization for girls.

iMav

-==-
I am the Associate Bethel Guardian for Bethel #26 in Maryland. I will help where I can. Just ask. It is a great organization for girls.
Revisiting an old thread.

I am actually the Associate Bethel Guardian of my daughter's bethel now. :) (Bethel #44, Sun Prairie, WI)