Just sent in my demits for Council and Commandery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casey

MM, RAM, 32nd.
First of all let me say I am GUILTY AS CHARGED with what I am about to say/ask....

Do we join to many "groups" and spread ourselves thin when there is plenty of work to do in our Lodges...???....All to often, I hear and read about Brothers joining this and that but have not stepped foot in their Lodge since being raised...(this part I can say I have not fallen into)....

As far as those groups not including you, me or anyone else...my thoughts are...hey it is your loss if you dont want to include me,... you dont know what you are missing out on...
I've always been very careful in seeking balance. Blue Lodge is plenty for me. :)

It's actually an extension of my college experience- I joined one organization- Alpha Phi Omega- and gave it my all. My advisor gave me some sass about not joining more since "it would look good on a grad school application", but I look at it that she had it exactly backward. I'd rather have one listing for four years, than a dozen for a semester each. I want my mark written in stone, not sand.

I'll send my letter to Grand Council and Grand Commandery this week. Whom should it go to, District-level?

In the comments on Bro. Hodapp's link, they mention a Mark Warrant. What is this? Never heard of such.

Oh, and if you're reading this, Bro. Hodapp, thanks for the minor shout-out!

Winter

I've been here before
I demitted from York right a decade ago. And although my SR membership is current I never do anything with them.

I have heard it called the "vanishing rope trick." Once a Mason is raised he has a dozen petitions thrust into his hands with every appendant body telling him how much of a better Mason it will make him. He goes through the "higher" degrees and moves up the rope and is never seen at his home Lodge again.

Do we join to many "groups" and spread ourselves thin when there is plenty of work to do in our Lodges...???....All to often, I hear and read about Brothers joining this and that but have not stepped foot in their Lodge since being raised...
I'm going to lob this out there, and maybe I'll get criticized for it. I know many men who I consider to be good masons, that I rarely or never see in lodge. There affiliation through masonry has made them better men, and we can observe this by the good they do mankind in the "field". I'm talking specifically about a couple of brothers who do their work in the Shrine, but this can apply to other bodies, or even outside of them. These guys I'm speaking of are very dedicated to the Shrine's philanthropy, but Blue Lodge just isn't their thing. Maybe we'll see them occasionally when the grandson of a friend is being raised, or a 40 or 50 year certificate is being awarded to a friend, but that's about it. Then there's me. I haven't missed a communication in a year and a half, I'm on many committees and boards, I participate actively in all degrees, and do my best to mentor our newer members. Yet I consider these other guys better Masons than myself. I have not made nearly the impact on the greater good of my community as these guys have. Often times on this forum I see posts being somewhat critical of the guys we don't see in lodge. I guess I'm just saying, keep an open mind, there's some great work being done out there by Masons who seem invisible to you.

Winter

I've been here before
I don't think anyone is actually bashing these Brothers for not being more active in their Craft Lodge, though we probably come close.

But our Craft Lodges are the base, the roots, the foundation of Masonry. If you build a house and only care about the roof, the foundation will rot and fall taking everything with it. I could make many more analogies but those are always suspect!

My argument is from an economical standpoint. Why spend money for something that you aren't going to use. (And not the Nordic Trak in your basement.) :D

Casey

MM, RAM, 32nd.
Well, isn't that twelve shades of priceless. The secretary for Commandery happens to be the Deputy Division Commander. What should I do from here? Up a step to the Division Commander?

Winter

I've been here before
Well, since we are all Brother Masons, even in an appendant body that uses military style ranks, and no Brother stands above another, talk to whomever you feel you need to to resolve the situation.

Open and honest comunication will solve far many more problems than it will harm.

Jeshua

Not To Confuse the Issue with Facts...

I don't think I know Brother Casey, but I recognize the bodies he's talking about because they happen to be mine, and I take great offense at his comments. These are two of the friendliest and most welcoming bodies Ive ever been a part of.

Can't say for sure, but I think this particular candidate received his orders at a York Rite All Degree Day. We tell them there that they'll be presented with their Malta jewel when they attend their first meeting and their dues cards at the first meeting after they come in from Grand Commandery. If he never got them, it could be because he never came to a meeting.

Likewise, you only get a new dues card if you actually pay your dues. (Maybe we need more explicit instructions about what you're supposed to do when you receive one of those dues notices.

As for notices, all our meetings and other activities are listed in the 24-page tabloid newspaper that's mailed to all the Masons in the district, along with a message from the IM and Commander, which usually include an appeal to all our members to attend.

(Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen him at a Chapter meeting either)

So anyway, Brethren, I know your hearts are all in the right place, but I think you've been rather seriously misled as to what the situation is.

If he wants to demit after never making an effort to become involved, that's his choice, but as someone who loves his York Rite bodies, I don't appreciate him bad-mouthing them semi-anonymously in a blog (since he names his Lodge and mentions that his father is the master), let alone to his lodge brothers...one of whom told me about his posts

If he actually does write those letters, I think he's going to find himself on the loosing end, because the facts just don't support him.

This particular Brother needs help more than encouragement.

Winter

I've been here before
Brother Jeshua,

I would greatly appreciate it if you would use a more "Brotherly" instructive tongue here.

Brother Casey apparently has some issues that he feels are some serious concerns and felt he was not getting any resolution from the York Rite in his area. Or he did not feel like he had been accepted in a manner that he expected.

Do you think the tone you are taking here is likely to help him solve these problems or push him further away?

While I have my own issues with the York Rite because of my own issues, I still challange you to behave like a Mason and treat a Brother in the manner you know is correct.

And my postings are not annonymous, so if you would like to discuss this away from the forum, please let me know.

Casey

MM, RAM, 32nd.
Can't say for sure, but I think this particular candidate received his orders at a York Rite All Degree Day.
True. So?

We tell them there that they'll be presented with their Malta jewel when they attend their first meeting and their dues cards at the first meeting after they come in from Grand Commandery. If he never got them, it could be because he never came to a meeting.
Except, of course, that I have. I attended both multiple times after joining.

Likewise, you only get a new dues card if you actually pay your dues. (Maybe we need more explicit instructions about what you're supposed to do when you receive one of those dues notices.
See above. I did pay my dues for each. Never got a dues notice from Council.

As for notices, all our meetings and other activities are listed in the 24-page tabloid newspaper that's mailed to all the Masons in the district, along with a message from the IM and Commander, which usually include an appeal to all our members to attend.

(Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen him at a Chapter meeting either)
Then you haven't been attending Chapter. Or, failing that, describe me. Make sure you have the right guy. As for the Bulletin, if you actually read my post, you see I mention that.

So anyway, Brethren, I know your hearts are all in the right place, but I think you've been rather seriously misled as to what the situation is.

If he wants to demit after never making an effort to become involved, that's his choice, but as someone who loves his York Rite bodies, I don't appreciate him bad-mouthing them semi-anonymously in a blog (since he names his Lodge and mentions that his father is the master), let alone to his lodge brothers...one of whom told me about his posts

If he actually does write those letters, I think he's going to find himself on the loosing end, because the facts just don't support him.

This particular Brother needs help more than encouragement.
I attend Chapter when I can. I've honestly tried with Council and Commandery.

G

Gary

OK Brothers, It appears that this discussion has pretty much run it's course. Bro. Casey will deal with this issue as his heart directs him. Let's keep the peace here, and let him resolve his issue with those concerned off of this forum.

Jeshua

A Final Thought...

Brethren,

I’m not going to reply to the specifics of Bro. Casey’s last post, because there is a proper Masonic forum for resolving such questions of fact between Brothers and, if he persists in his slanderous accusations, I suspect that this is, sadly, where this matter will finally end. Besides, I suspect he’s just seeking attention, or perhaps pity, and I have better things to do.

Rather, I’d like to address the rest of you.

My anger (and I admit I was angry when I wrote my last post) stems from the fact that I heard about this when it was being discussed by some of Bro. Casey’s own lodge brothers who, apparently, had negative opinions of our bodies based on his comments. And since he identified his Blue Lodge and mentioned that his Dad was Worshipful Master, it doesn’t take a genius to figure out who he is and, therefore, the Council and Commandery he’s talking about.

I was responding to some very pointed and totally unfair attacks being openly and maliciously leveled in a public forum against our Recorder/Deputy Division Commander, who happens to be one of the hardest working, most dedicated young Masons I know.

So, Brother Winter, where was your sense of Brotherhood when it was being suggested that this Recorder should be run out of office? Or when other posts suggested that he be called to account for his actions to Grand Commandery?

Did anyone stop to question whether these charges were really true?

Did anyone think to ask him to evaluate if he was, perhaps, blowing this out of proportion or overreacting for some reason?

Where was your sense of Brotherhood when you all jumped on the bandwagon of these criticisms?

It seems to me that everyone was very quick to assume these charges were true, and convict the recorder as well as the Council and Commandery in what has become a very scurrilous personal attack…with such brotherly advice as “Why throw a firecracker in the bathroom to just make noise when you can put a cherry bomb in the toilet and blow it up!”

For a group of people who claim to be dedicated to Freemasonry, it seems to me that you were all very eager to assume the worst.

Where was a single voice defending our fraternity?

As I said, I hope Brother Casey will have the good sense not to try to make an issue of this and, in the future, to keep his negative comments to himself, because the facts simply don’t support his claims.

I just wish he’d done that before he started this thread, and before so many of you jumped on his bandwagon to encourage him.

Freemasonry faces enough challenges today without making up new ones.

I just hope, my Brothers, that in the future, you let the mantle of Masonic Brotherhood extend to both sides of a dispute instead of jumping to conclusions, and go so far as to even give a Secretary or Recorder the benefit of the doubt before assuming he’s guilty.

Now, those of us who really care about the York Rite and these two bodies have to try to undo the damage that has already been done to our reputations.

Winter

I've been here before
Brother Jeshua,

I went back and reread the entire thread and the majority of the posts appear to me to be the Brothers on this board being supportive of Casey and attempting to assist him in finding a sollution or resolution to a situation that he is obviously frustrated with.

My posts to Casey were just that, suggestions to open lines of communication at whtever level is neccessary to resolve the situation in a Masonic manner.

And forgive me if I don't rush to defend a Masonic body that restricts membership based on religion. That's not Masonry.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Brethren,

I’m not going to reply to the specifics of Bro. Casey’s last post, because there is a proper Masonic forum for resolving such questions of fact between Brothers and, if he persists in his slanderous accusations, I suspect that this is, sadly, where this matter will finally end. Besides, I suspect he’s just seeking attention, or perhaps pity, and I have better things to do.

My anger (and I admit I was angry when I wrote my last post) stems from the fact that I heard about this when it was being discussed by some of Bro. Casey’s own lodge brothers who, apparently, had negative opinions of our bodies based on his comments. And since he identified his Blue Lodge and mentioned that his Dad was Worshipful Master, it doesn’t take a genius to figure out who he is and, therefore, the Council and Commandery he’s talking about.

I was responding to some very pointed and totally unfair attacks being openly and maliciously leveled in a public forum against our Recorder/Deputy Division Commander, who happens to be one of the hardest working, most dedicated young Masons I know.

So, Brother Winter, where was your sense of Brotherhood when it was being suggested that this Recorder should be run out of office? Or when other posts suggested that he be called to account for his actions to Grand Commandery?

Did anyone think to ask him to evaluate if he was, perhaps, blowing this out of proportion or overreacting for some reason?

Where was your sense of Brotherhood when you all jumped on the bandwagon of these criticisms?

It seems to me that everyone was very quick to assume these charges were true, and convict the recorder as well as the Council and Commandery in what has become a very scurrilous personal attack…with such brotherly advice as “Why throw a firecracker in the bathroom to just make noise when you can put a cherry bomb in the toilet and blow it up!”

For a group of people who claim to be dedicated to Freemasonry, it seems to me that you were all very eager to assume the worst.

As I said, I hope Brother Casey will have the good sense not to try to make an issue of this and, in the future, to keep his negative comments to himself, because the facts simply don’t support his claims.

I just wish he’d done that before he started this thread, and before so many of you jumped on his bandwagon to encourage him.

I just hope, my Brothers, that in the future, you let the mantle of Masonic Brotherhood extend to both sides of a dispute instead of jumping to conclusions, and go so far as to even give a Secretary or Recorder the benefit of the doubt before assuming he’s guilty.

Now, those of us who really care about the York Rite and these two bodies have to try to undo the damage that has already been done to our reputations.
I like your second post more than your first -- spot on -- kudos!

G

Gary

Brethren,

Ok, Brother. I appreciate that you've said your piece and now I'll say mine.

There are always two sides to a story, and somewhere in the middle there is the truth. Bro. Casey stated that he was getting nowhere with his endeavor to communicate on the district level. We suggested that he go to the Grand Line for answers and mediation if he is not getting the results needed.

Communication break down occurs on both sides of the fence. And yes, I made the firecracker remark. My point being, why beat your head against a wall trying to communicate on one level when you can bring the problem to light on a higher level and get the problem resolved regardless of "who" is to blame. It wasn't a conviction nor was it a personal attack. Ever hear of the phrase; The squeaky wheel gets the oil? Your comment questioning my validity as a Freemason is unwarranted.

I also said that this topic was getting heated and that it was better that the parties involved handle this away of this forum. This thread will now be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.