Keeping in Touch

freeman

How do you keep in contact with your close friends and family when you are living far away? I am going to live across the ocean and will need to make more of an effort to keep in touch with those I care about. How do you keep in touch? email, weekly phone calls, cards, old fashioned snail mail?

jenlee

I use e-mail and facebook to keep in contact with my family. Most live in other states across the US and I have a few friends in other countries. I still use the postal service for cards on birthdays, but that is all.

Mortarfan

Facebook! I think it's the best answer. Also how about Skype through the internet. This way you can see the people you are talking too. With the internet, there are many ways you can keep in contact.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Cellphone , all my family has swithched to AT&T so our phone calls are free and do not use up minutes . I have a cousin and some friends who tried to keep in contact with me on Facebook , but has given up with that because I never check it and switched to calling me also .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Most of my family lives close. I've had a few friends who have moved away. My wife has a lot of family up north and the cell phone and facebook is how they keep in touch.

I personally have been using facebook more lately. More of a way to take a quick break. I do not take facebook too seriously though, and mostly use it for having fun. My status is usually a joke of some sort.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have friends who ask me , where were you when we had this get together or that get together . I look at them like they lost their minds , and ask them when they called me ? They will state " we sent you a message on Facebook " and I have to tell them that I never use it . Adding Freemason Hall the other day was the first time I have been on my Facebook account in over a month . I guess I am missing out on a lot but I refuse to communicate with someone who lives 3 miles away through Facebook .

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Staying in touch

How do you keep in contact with your close friends and family when you are living far away? I am going to live across the ocean and will need to make more of an effort to keep in touch with those I care about. How do you keep in touch? email, weekly phone calls, cards, old fashioned snail mail?
If you will have high speed internet access, you can get a Magic Jack and a real basic one line telephone. The Magic Jack will have the same phone number it came with, no matter where you plug it into a computer, so your friends and family can call you on it with a local call. Just watch out for the time difference.

S&F

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Skype is great! I was videoing & talking with my Brazilian foreign exchange daughter today.