• MM

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • All three

Votes: 11 50.0%

• Total voters

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
LOL , Now that's funny .

But on a serious note , as a teacher once told me , don't force it . Trying to commit lectures to memory day in and day out will cause burn out and/or frustration . When I was working on the OES initiatory work , I tried to force it , I worked at it everyday and nothing would stick , I was frustrated so I finally gave up and set it down for a while , when I picked it back up everything started to fall into place .

When I am refreshing myself on degree work , I will run through it either two days or the day before the degree itself and then forget about it . If I keep going over it and over it , I WILL screw up during the degree .
My experience is completely different. Once in a while I will mentor a new Mason who can remember what he's memorized several days later, but most do much better if we can get together for a little while every day or two.

Now, I DO think that distraction is a valuable tool. I will get in a lot of non-catechism conversation, about personal stuff, about the origin and pronunciation of words like 'hele,' and about how Masonry works (or doesn't). I will also '2-track' the instruction: work progressively from the start of the catechism for a while, then distract with jumping to the Ob or the working tools, then come back to check what we worked on in the catechism, to see if it has migrated from registration memory to short term memory.
[registration memory is like looking up a phone number, then having to look it up again to dial again in 5 minutes]

S&F

Harvey

Our lectures are notoriously lengthy here in Nevada. I do the EA lecture, which is three sections and about a half an hour long. I'm about a third of the way through the Middle Chamber lecture now.
In response to Bruce G. up there, who said that the Middle Chamber lecture was more instructional than esoteric, I would have to politely disagree. As I am gradually memorizing this work, I find it describing a very important spiritual journey that is brought to light by practical science.

Bob Franks

none of the above
Me either. I just haven't got the initiative to sit down and memorize them.
Brothers Duncan and Gary-
I was intimidated by the Lectures for many years, until I realized I'd learned in short pieces [Charges, Apron Presentation, the Letter "G", etc] more unassisted (by questions) memory work than a Lecture amounted to. They each took a LOT less time than I'd planned.

If you can learn a catechism, you can learn a lecture!

Our lectures are notoriously lengthy here in Nevada. I do the EA lecture, which is three sections and about a half an hour long. I'm about a third of the way through the Middle Chamber lecture now.
In response to Bruce G. up there, who said that the Middle Chamber lecture was more instructional than esoteric, I would have to politely disagree. As I am gradually memorizing this work, I find it describing a very important spiritual journey that is brought to light by practical science.
Go, Brother!!

S&F

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Brothers Duncan and Gary-
I was intimidated by the Lectures for many years, until I realized I'd learned in short pieces [Charges, Apron Presentation, the Letter "G", etc] more unassisted (by questions) memory work than a Lecture amounted to. They each took a LOT less time than I'd planned.

If you can learn a catechism, you can learn a lecture!

Go, Brother!!

S&F
It is not intimidation, it is time and brain space, after my TBI memorization is a female dog.

jaya

Brother Bob,

I am starting work on the Certified Lecturer program this year. Since you are DDGL, how would you go about learning the required work? I am lucky to have the DDGL here as a member of my lodge and helping me learn the work. What I am planning right now is to do the Part B first and then finish the next year for an A certification. That way I only have to do the second degree lecture with all the rest of the work and can concentrate on the first and third for next year. I would be very interested in your thoughts.

Bob Franks

It is not intimidation, it is time and brain space, after my TBI memorization is a female dog.
You might look at memory work as a form of mental exercise, or rehab.
It would have tangible goals, which is a good thing.

Brother Bob,

I am starting work on the Certified Lecturer program this year. Since you are DDGL, how would you go about learning the required work? I am lucky to have the DDGL here as a member of my lodge and helping me learn the work. What I am planning right now is to do the Part B first and then finish the next year for an A certification. That way I only have to do the second degree lecture with all the rest of the work and can concentrate on the first and third for next year. I would be very interested in your thoughts.
I have a 28 day practice schedule, made up from the 7 hour lecture exam schedule available on the GL website. If you would like it, I can post it, or I can email it to you. (send me a test email-jrfranks at USA dot NET)

If you have only served as a steward, it will be a big task to learn ALL the speaking parts of the openings, closings (all degrees, stated and emergent communications), dispensing/resuming labor, labor to refreshment and back, and all sections of all three degrees. At least most of the prayers are not part of the examination.
But that would be better than how I did it: wait 8 years after finishing the Chairs. (I had to relearn all that open/close stuff again!)

Remember: When you go to test for CL, they don't want to look for ways to fail you! It was a very positive experience for me. You'll have to know your stuff, but they won't ask for every word.

S&F

jaya

I am a steward now but have sat in both deacons chairs. I am lucky that I am in a lodge that does degrees on EC and not stated. I get to see all of the work and have a great memory. I also have some great coaches. I do know it is a lot of work. That is why I am going to try it over 2 years. If they do like they did in the past, the last date on the schedule will be in Asheville. I can test there then next year I can test in Greensboro within a year. I do have 3-7 on the outline done. I also have a year to do the rest. I do have much of the opening and closing a MM lodge down as well. I did just send you an email. Thank you for your advice.

Bob Franks

You might look at memory work as a form of mental exercise, or rehab.
It would have tangible goals, which is a good thing.
[snip]
S&F
Working on it, I can mouth most of the MM open/close.
You could also make the WM know you are available to sit in a vacant chair. Just make sure you have a knowledgeable brother to sit nearby as a coach/prompter, as spontaneous tips from nearby well intentioned brothers are often wrong!
I can practice all I want at home, but doing it at lodge is usually different!

S&F

FF Sparky

You could also make the WM know you are available to sit in a vacant chair. Just make sure you have a knowledgeable brother to sit nearby as a coach/prompter, as spontaneous tips from nearby well intentioned brothers are often wrong!
I can practice all I want at home, but doing it at lodge is usually different!

S&F
Very different, I had the EA lecture/catechism down pat, I got up in front of Lodge to do it, and sweated about 10 pound of weight off. I got through it better with the answers than the Brother asking the questions.

Bob Franks

Very different, I had the EA lecture/catechism down pat, I got up in front of Lodge to do it, and sweated about 10 pound of weight off. I got through it better with the answers than the Brother asking the questions.
Egg-zactly!
...but worth doing it.

S&F

I have a part in all three: second half of EA, Middle Chamber in FC, and reception in the south for MM, and am an instructor for all 3 cats. Supposed to start on reception in the west for MM.

Given the Middle Chamber 4 times now and like it better each time. First time I was so nervous I just focused on the words. By the second time I felt it and it was a different experience.

I told the Director of Work that I'd like to try learning a lecture. He was like "Great! Ted, help him work on the SL." Not what I would have chosen to start with, but glad I did. (sounds like our SL is everyone else's MC.)

Bob Franks

I have a part in all three: second half of EA, Middle Chamber in FC, and reception in the south for MM, and am an instructor for all 3 cats. Supposed to start on reception in the west for MM.

Given the Middle Chamber 4 times now and like it better each time. First time I was so nervous I just focused on the words. By the second time I felt it and it was a different experience.

I told the Director of Work that I'd like to try learning a lecture. He was like "Great! Ted, help him work on the SL." Not what I would have chosen to start with, but glad I did. (sounds like our SL is everyone else's MC.)
The Lecture of the Fellow Craft Degree, AKA Middle Chamber Lecture, is my weakest, as I learned it last. I still have trouble with all three areas around the word (or derivation) 'contemplate.'

"SL?"
Is that the explanation of the pass, given between the Wardens' Stations?

Going to Myrtle Beach Lodge #353 (SC-AFM) tonight to see their Fellow Craft Degree!

S&F

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
"SL?"

S&F
SL -- if I am not mistaken stands for "Stair Lecture" a.k.a. the Middle Chamber Lecture.

Different jurisdictions often times have different names for the same thing.

Bob Franks

The Lecture of the Fellow Craft Degree, AKA Middle Chamber Lecture, is my weakest, as I learned it last. I still have trouble with all three areas around the word (or derivation) 'contemplate.'

"SL?"

Going to Myrtle Beach Lodge #353 (SC-AFM) tonight to see their Fellow Craft Degree!

S&F
It was a very nice experience!
In their lecture, they do some of the points in different order, put more explanations on some things, and skip over some things we (NC) emphasize.

S&F

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
SL -- if I am not mistaken stands for "Stair Lecture" a.k.a. the Middle Chamber Lecture.

Different jurisdictions often times have different names for the same thing.
We call it the "Staircase Lecture" . I only call it the Middle Chamber Lecture on the internet so as not to confuse others .

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
We call it the "Staircase Lecture" . I only call it the Middle Chamber Lecture on the internet so as not to confuse others .
Thanks for the clairification, I have heard it called Stair, Staircase, Stairway Lecture and that is from some oldtimers (50 & 60 year members) from lodges in my area. Maybe they used to call it by one of those terms in days gone by in Nebraska.