Lodge loyalty...

Terry S

Playing off of Bro. Donahue's comment about "need a new subject" i figured i'd present a dilemma that I'm currently facing.

My home lodge that ive been at since i was raised is in Macon, Ga. I've been living in Atlanta, Ga for the past 5 years and have no intentions of moving back to Macon. For the past couple months my job has had me working in Macon and being back with my original lodge has been great.

Now the problem... I want to attend lodge regularly and getting in line is a goal of mine. I would have no problem doing that in Macon as theyre already talking about me getting started but starting next week my work down here is done and a weekly drive down to Macon for lodge meetings and practice is out of the question. There is a lodge less than a mile from my house that i want to start attending and the problem is for me to get in line there i would need to (forgive me - i always forgive the word for it) move my membership.

My home lodge is a small lodge and they need all the members they can get so i'd feel real bad about leaving there (though im sure theyd be fine without me). Plus, its where i was raised and has that special feeling to it.

Dual membership is an option, but seems kinda like overkill. Plus i wanted to start a perpetual membership.

what to do, what to do??

Zack

Why is dual membership an overkill if i may ask?
Dual membership seems to me to be the answer to your dilemma.

Terry S

Mostly because of the $$$ involved. Realistically, the amount of times i might be able to get down to Marshall A. Weir lodge wont justify paying dues there.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
If you want to go through the chair line the only two options is dual membership or petition for affiliation and then demit from your Mother lodge , there is no other way around it .

Terry S

Ya... I kinda knew that. was just hoping for better news. Was really just hoping for stories of encouragement but that well seems dry. Guess i just have to suck it up and move.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
moving membership

Ya... I kinda knew that. was just hoping for better news. Was really just hoping for stories of encouragement but that well seems dry. Guess i just have to suck it up and move.
I had mixed feelings about getting a Conditional Demit from my original lodge, North Park 646 in Indianapolis, to move my membership to NC, but I have visited the old lodge several times on visits back in the last 30 years, probably more times than when I was a member!

S&F

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia

Sorry we could not come up with more encouraging news for you , I know it has to be a tough call .

The brothers in Macon will understand. They will want you to be involved, and you just can't do that there. But, how much is their dues?? If I left my town, and I might one day, I would keep dual membership if possible. That being said, our dues is only $84 a year, and I can think of a lot of places I blow $84 that are less deserving than my "mother lodge". But if dual membership isn't an option, don't sweat it, these guys are your brothers and will want what's best for you. You can always pop in as a visiting brother!

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Bro Terry , have you made a decision ? As Bro. Mike above stated , your Mother Lodge in Macon will understand and would (or should) want what is best for you .

Keep us updated on what is going on .

Terry S

Sorry its taken me a while to update. I'm going to demit but I don't know which lodge yet. Id like to go to the lodge closest to my house, but a buddy of mine has been expressing some interest in becoming a Mason so I want to try and accommodate him if I can. I might just be a 'free agent' for a while.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
free agent

Sorry its taken me a while to update. I'm going to demit but I don't know which lodge yet. Id like to go to the lodge closest to my house, but a buddy of mine has been expressing some interest in becoming a Mason so I want to try and accommodate him if I can. I might just be a 'free agent' for a while.
What's a "free agent?"
In the AF&AM of NC, Masons unaffiliated with a lodge have NO masonic rights or privileges.

S&F

Terry S

That was meant in a light hearted way. I mean ill keep my membership at my home lodge until things settle down and I can be fully committed to one lodge.

Terry S

well, a little update...
I went to a meeting tonight at my local lodge... Pythagoras #41. It exceeded my expectations in every way. The lodge is extraordinary! VERY beautiful. It was built in 1926 and the architecture is amazing. They have a huge library to check books from that im hoping to take advantage of. They welcomed me with open arms because attendance is down... like every lodge. I really wish i could've taken a picture... words just dont convey the beauty of this lodge.

One of the Grand Lodge representatives was there and he gave me a Grand Masters coin and pin. I thought that was pretty cool.