Lodge of Research

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I joined our areas Lodge of Research (yes , I am now a member of three lodges as if I do not have enough to do already) . They present papers on Freemasonry and it is very enlightening BUT , as I told another brother , the lodge of research is all well and good , but this is something we should be doing in all our lodges every month . We should not need a special lodge to present papers and education .

I am going to bring up at our next meeting that we need to be taking these papers to the various lodges in our districts . I realize that the lodge is open to all Master Masons , but many do not wish to travel to yet another lodge .

They will go to lodges who have asked them to research a subject for them , but why should we wait to be asked ? Just do it and we may spark an interest in the members of the various lodges to take it upon themselves to study up on these various subjects .

edwmax

I just started a Lodge of Research with 16 members on the Charter. We held our first meeting Jan 26th with 12 Masons present. 4 of these were new signups that morning. ...

Anyway, to your comment above.

1. Author/Lectures making a presentations of the Lodge of Research are usually open for questions and critique of the presentation. This helps the author/Lecture to fine tune the paper and his presentation. These Lecturers can be invited to your Lodges to make their presentation. ... Invite them.

2. An Author/Lecture may not have time to visit every Lodge, so with his permission, the paper may be read at your Lodge meetings.

3. Most original works by members become the property of the Lodge of Research. This material is open for use by other Lodges. Ask the Lodge of Research Secretary.

3. One of the purposes of a Lodge of Research is to train Members to be Lodge Education officers and to provide Lectures and educational materials for their use. The Lodge of Research provides members the opportunity to present his paper and to become a accustom to 'public' speaking.

4. At times a Lodge of Research may have special guest speakers, so let members of you Lodge know when these speakers are scheduled and invite them to attend.

It doesn't do any good or give the Masonic Historian/Researcher/Lecturer any satisfaction if no one is interested in their work. Visit your nearest Lodge of Research and ask to use their material at your Lodge.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I know how it all works , the lodge of research I became a member of has been around for many , many , many years . What I am saying is There should no need for one , when lodges should already be doing this .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I know how it all works , the lodge of research I became a member of has been around for many , many , many years . What I am saying is There should no need for one , when lodges should already be doing this .
In an ideal situation, this should be the case. Ive always envisioned a Lodge of Research being more like a library resource for Brothers to use to research material that they want to publish, or present to their Lodges. Alas, this sadly is not the case.

edwmax

I know how it all works , the lodge of research I became a member of has been around for many , many , many years. What I am saying is There should no need for one , when lodges should already be doing this .
Wrong .... But since you know how it works, then you should also know the materials presented for Lodge Education and information started out in a Lodge of Research. ... Gary is correct a Lodge of Research is like a library for use by the Lodges. Most Lodge members are not researcher or lecturers, so Lodge of Research are very much needed to supply the materials to be presented in the Lodge.

edwmax

Oh .... BTW ... the reason I was able to quickly (within 2 weeks) get more than double in required signatures for a Charter is because our Local Lodges and District Lodge are failing in their duty to provide ANY education at meetings. So I know what is happening in the Lodge. Member do want these lectures.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Good points Ed. However, it would seem that Some Research Lodges are as Ashlar describes. Some are a combination of his and my explanation, and then there are those who operate as they were originally designed.

In the end, all serve a valuable purpose provided we dont become dependant o. Them to do the Work for us. ;-)

edwmax

Many Research Lodges also work as a 'Lecture Lodge'. Where they have guest Lectures making presentations.
From Ashlar's description above, it is not possible to determine if the Lecturer was presenting an original work of his for review or if he was a 'guest' lecture making a prepared presentation. ... Either way this is where a Lecturer makes contacts for future presentations at other Lodges. ... This still fits Library analogy.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
They are both original works and prepared presentations . Only members are allowed to present any kind of presentation .

edwmax

They are both original works and prepared presentations . Only members are allowed to present any kind of presentation .

That may be, it depends on how the Lodge of Research is setup and instruction from their GL. Under other GLs, a LofR may be restricted as to what they can do; while a few GLs allow their LofR to operate just like any regular Lodge. Then again some of the 'older' LofR could be in a rut just like the regular Lodges and have forgotten other things they could be doing.

Under my GL a LofR is charged with a primary duty of 'education and instruction'. This definition allows us a very broad base to work from; do research, write papers, invite guest lectures, hold or sponsor Schools of Instruction, special education & fellowship events, and exemplify Degree work. What we can not do is 'make Masons' (aka: confer a degree). But, we can coordinate this with a call meeting of a regular Lodge if needed for conferring of degree. ... In essences, there is not much we can not do.

Master of
Lodge of Research No 8
under the GL of Ga
Chartered January 12, 2013

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Other than paying GL assessments , my GL leaves us alone as long as long as we are complying with the Constitution . We do not confer degrees and the only business we take care of is the reading of minutes and treasurer's report , the rest of the meeting is educational papers .

edwmax

Member of my LofR is exempt from GL assessments (per capita tax). All members must be a member of a regular Lodge and the assessment is already paid.