Loss of my oldest friend

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
My friend from childhood , whom I have been best friends with since the first grade passed away last Friday . After the wife and I married and I settled down into a domestic life , we fell out of contact except for the occasional call . I had no idea that his life had spiraled so far out of control , but he died of an overdose .

It's a shame , I always said to myself "I 'll give him a call and see if we can get together tomorrow" , but something always came up , life gets in the way and now I will never see my friend again .

I could not bring myself to go to his showing/funeral because I do not want to remember him that way . Not sure if that was wrong of me , but I will go to his grave and say good-bye alone .

This is the third friend I have lost in the last few months .

Necktie

So sorry

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. As we get older and time changes things can seem so strange. This is a good reminder not to put off the really important things. My heart goes out to you and you have my condolences.

G

Gary

It's a shame , I always said to myself "I 'll give him a call and see if we can get together tomorrow" , but something always came up , life gets in the way and now I will never see my friend again .

I could not bring myself to go to his showing/funeral because I do not want to remember him that way . Not sure if that was wrong of me , but I will go to his grave and say good-bye alone .

This is the third friend I have lost in the last few months .
My condolences. Don't beat yourself up over choosing not to go to the funeral. We all grieve loss differently, and funerals are for the the living. Your choice to remember your friend in better times is not wrong.

I wish you peace my brother.

tHanks

6 nicknames, guess which.
I will keep you in my blessings. It seems this year has been bad for many I know losing someone close, even someone kind of close. A friend I went to grade school with ended up passing recently too.

Eoin

We will certainly remember you. It's hard to lose people especially to senseless things like drugs. Drugs have become epidemic in my area too and I've seen a lot of my friends going down the same road. They just haven't hit the end yet. One of my friend's son did though. He was hit while riding his horse down the road. He is 25 and now thinks he's 12 because of a head injury. She is really having a hard time even though she has done everything she could to get him off of the drugs.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Thanks all , I have made calls to the entire gang from our younger days . Those of us who can get together , are going throw back a few drinks (haven't done that in 15 years myself) and reminisce about the old days and have a few toasts in our friends memory .

Necktie , you are correct , we should not put off what is important , it took a hard lesson to drive this home for me . I will no longer put off calling my friends tomorrow , because there may be no tomorrow .

I miss my friend .

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Sorry to read about your loss, it is great however that you got a hold of some of your friends to get together with. Enjoy the time and the memories, because they will be gone all too soon.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Thanks BG_TRBL , you are correct , the time will be gone be gone before we know it . It's still hard to believe how many years have went by and how much water has passed under the bridge since my friends and I were all still in high school and/or our early 20's , back before wives and children , thinking we would live for ever .

Tensolator

I had the opportunity last summer to spend a week with a friend I've known since first grade, we sat and drank tangerine beer, he myself and my brother. (The tangerine beer is brewed on the California North Coast, forget the brewer.) We sat we talked we ate chiken legs. Would like to do it again sometime.