Masonic Bill of Rights?

cemab4y

Is it possible to craft a "Masonic Bill of Rights"? What would such a document contain? Let's open up a discussion and see what sort of "rights" individual Freemasons should have!

-The right to speak, including electronically, and in print, about Masonry.

-The right to have a full and open hearing, in the event of masonic charges.

-The right to contact and seek guidance from other Masons, both in the individual's Grand Lodge, and from Masons in other Grand Jurisdictions, and Grand Lodges.

-The right to approach and present grievances to Grand Lodge officers, without fear of reprisal.

-The right to meet with other masons, and discuss masonry, and to form organizations of Masons outside of Grand Lodge supervision, such as "Masonic Square and Compasses Clubs", and "Widow's Sons clubs".

-The right to hold all officers, both at the individual lodge level, and at the Grand Lodge level, accountable for following the applicable rules and regulations of the lodge/grand Lodge.

-The right to submit changes to by-laws, regulations, and constitutions, at the lodge and Grand Lodge level, and to have these changes duly voted on, in proper form.

These are just a few that come to mind, what others should be added?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
After reading your post I grabbed my Lodge by-laws and Grand Lodge of Ky Constitutions . Other than not being able to have a Square and Compass Club , we already have many of these "Rights" .

The only thing is that I'd have to agree with you on the S & C club .

I don't like to be critical of the GL, I'm pretty happy about how things are in my state ,well yours too, and we have a great Grand Master this year who doesn't bulls**t around and I like that .

cemab4y

This proposal is NOT aimed at KY, or South Dakota, or any specific lodge or Grand Lodge. With 51 Grand Lodges all over the country, the problems vary widely, depending on the specific Grand Lodge. I have received some excellent feedback, from California Masons, and some suggestions for additional rights.

I want to make it clear, that I am NOT "bashing" or criticizing any specific individual or grand Lodge. This is just a discussion, to see if such a proposal would be needed, and even if some of these problems exist at all.

We can discuss these topics like brothers.

RoughAshlar

With the exception of specifically naming the square and compass and widows sons. These are all in our constitution and by-laws.

As for the square and compass etc... why would it be necessary to put it in the Grand lodge constitution? Im sure the American bill of rights has freedom of assembly in it.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
This proposal is NOT aimed at KY, or South Dakota, or any specific lodge or Grand Lodge. With 51 Grand Lodges all over the country, the problems vary widely, depending on the specific Grand Lodge. I have received some excellent feedback, from California Masons, and some suggestions for additional rights.

I want to make it clear, that I am "bashing" or criticizing any specific individual or grand Lodge. This is just a discussion, to see if such a proposal would be needed, and even if some of these problems exist at all.

We can discuss these topics like brothers.

I realize it wasn't aimed at Ky . And I wasn't critizing your post just stating how I feel about the state of affairs in my own state , so let's make that clear .

cemab4y

Some, not all of the Grand Lodges in the USA, forbid the formation of any masonic organization or club, that is outside the control of the Grand Lodge. Even if it is a harmless organization, like a group of masons, who meet up once a month for breakfast.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
That one is one I don't understand here in KY . We have the Widow's Sons , who the Grand Lodge has no control over but they go through the roof over a S & C club .