MM Topic Masonic Education the dilemma of a Master Mason

G

Gary

As most of you know, I've been tasked with the obligation of delivering the Masonic Education in my Lodge. While this has been a rather enlightening venture, it has not been without it's challenges.

At our last Stated Communication, I presented an abbreviated version of my research paper entitled "The Wages of a Master Mason". The paper was the first of it's kind that I have ever written. It involved many hours of research, not to mention a great deal of time to put into a tangible form for presentation. Even after it's completion, I still found that I could revise it further (I did six revisions of the draft). The short talk was very well received by my Lodge, as it was the first oration I had given.

Therein lies the problem. Due to the time that it takes for me to compose such work, I find myself in a position of not being able to keep up with the Lodge schedule. To further complicate the matter, I've found myself in a position of having "set the bar" for forward momentum in my endeavor for increasing the value of Masonic Education.

At this point, my brain is totally fried from the work I've done, and I have little or no time to compose a lecture that would keep with the standard I've set. It would be so much easier if I weren't the only one doing the education. I got the job by default, so there are no volunteers to help.

Our Lodge meets again on Tuesday night, and I've got nothing. Sure, I could dig through my pile of MSA short talks and try to "wing it", but that's precisely what I've worked so hard to avoid. I've got plenty of topic ideas, and no time to adequately prepare them for presentation.

The 24 inch gauge and the cable-tow certainly come to mind. :(

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Could you possibly involve the Brothers in a "round robin" type of discussion after key points to fill in and get a "forum" atmosphere in the Lodge itself? Our Asst. LEO (unofficial)/ Tyler tries this and it has improved the discussions greatly.

G

Gary

I could do something of the sort. I've even thought about doing a sort of trivia night. My main problem at the moment is that I'm mentally exhausted, and I'm having trouble getting the gumption to put it together. My thoughts just aren't as clear as they should be.

If my Lodge went dark, I would have time to put together several topics so that I'd be ahead of the game. This is the first year in quite a long time that they have decided not to do that. Lucky me. :rolleyes:

I don't want to rehash topics I've already discussed. I want to keep it relatively fresh. I also want to avoid reading a paper in Lodge, as that is something that the Craft is easily bored with.

Zack

Bro. Gary,
are you finding yourself to be a hard act to follow? LOL. Imagine how the next guy is going to feel.
Your zeal is admirable and you demand the best of yourself which can be a burden. I know well about "burn-out."
Rather than putting yourself under pressure why not tell the WM that due to time constraints you would like to be responsible for M/E only once a month?

G

Gary

Bro. Gary,
are you finding yourself to be a hard act to follow? LOL. Imagine how the next guy is going to feel.
Your zeal is admirable and you demand the best of yourself which can be a burden. I know well about "burn-out."
Rather than putting yourself under pressure why not tell the WM that due to time constraints you would like to be responsible for M/E only once a month?
What next guy? No one in their right mind would do this right out of the gate! LOL

I'm not the hard act to follow. The bar was originally set by a "visiting Brother", I'm just trying hard to keep it at that level. He opened up a window of opportunity for me to accomplish something that our Lodge really needs. He does what he does with relative ease, while my being a MM less than a year requires a LOT more preparation to accomplish relatively similar results.

I'm VERY glad he visited and opened up the window of opportunity, I just wish that I could keep up with the demands of the job.

I could ask the WM for the consideration you suggested, but I'd feel like a slug for doing so. I've already had to back away from other tasks, and he has graciously made accommodation's for that already.

G

Gary

Hey! I've got an idea! How about you come to Lodge and knock their socks off with a lecture? :p (j/k, but I am sort of desperate!)

CoachN

Builder Builder
...At this point, my brain is totally fried from the work I've done, and I have little or no time to compose a lecture that would keep with the standard I've set. It would be so much easier if I weren't the only one doing the education. I got the job by default, so there are no volunteers to help.
Welcome to my world! ;)
...The 24 inch gauge and the cable-tow certainly come to mind. :(
Excellent topics!
Could you possibly involve the Brothers in a "round robin" type of discussion after key points to fill in and get a "forum" atmosphere in the Lodge itself? Our Asst. LEO (unofficial)/ Tyler tries this and it has improved the discussions greatly.
How about creating a Master Mind Group of writers who pool there information so that each contributes to the project as they can and each reaps the work of all?
...I don't want to rehash topics I've already discussed. I want to keep it relatively fresh. I also want to avoid reading a paper in Lodge, as that is something that the Craft is easily bored with.
Welcome to my world -- part two! ;)
Bro. Gary,
EXCELLENT IDEA! KUDOS!
What next guy? No one in their right mind would do this right out of the gate! LOL
Welcome to my world - part three! ;)
I'm not the hard act to follow.
Don't underestimate yourself my Brother. In a world devoid of M.E providers, you are outstanding.

Bro. Coach N

G

Gary

And there you have it folks. A couple of very dear Brothers that are ALWAYS there to pick up a Fellow when he is feeling a little flustered! :cool:

Your words of encouragement are uplifting. The praise is appreciated, but I am just a humble young Mason.

I'll talk a bit on the gauge and cable tow. I was thinking of doing that anyway. It's curious how these topics sort of find their way to me. I won't go into great detail on them, but instead I'll approach them as they are revealed to me on my path. I'll try and make a discussion out of it instead of a lecture.

That way I can follow up in more detail at a later time.

Oh, and for the record Coach... You can say more in 5 minutes than I can in an hour. The bar is set pretty high. Somebody get me a trampoline so I can reach! :p

CoachN

Builder Builder
...The praise is appreciated, but I am just a humble young Mason.
I hate to break the news to ya Bro, but so am I. Only I refuse to sit down when there's an opportunity to share. I truly believe I have Light worth sharing and my Brothers are worth my efforts. (imho)
...I'll talk a bit on the gauge and cable tow. I was thinking of doing that anyway. It's curious how these topics sort of find their way to me. I won't go into great detail on them, but instead I'll approach them as they are revealed to me on my path. I'll try and make a discussion out of it instead of a lecture.

That way I can follow up in more detail at a later time.
GREAT STRATEGY! KUDOS!
...Oh, and for the record Coach... You can say more in 5 minutes than I can in an hour. The bar is set pretty high. Somebody get me a trampoline so I can reach! :p
You wouldn't believe how many times I wrote this out in my head, shared with Brothers and then put down on paper -- again and again -- until I worked out the shortest possible way of conveying something. This last step though is the miracle and marvel. Until I actually "see" it, I can't shorten it down.

Keep up the great Work Bro!

Brother Sam

Bro Gary,
I, too, am LEO for my Lodge. You are making it too difficult on yourself by trying to make original offerings for every Lodge meeting. That just is not necessary as it eats up too much personal time. You can present articles others have written (give handout copy), give tests without answers and discuss the answers, have a roundrobin of reciting the the degree obligations (first person asks question - next person answers, on and on- if someone misses either question or answer they must leave the circle, or review a book. You can get community speakers to come on allied topics, Open your mind to new ideas on presentations and you will find that you have ample time and information. Mostly just relax asnd have fun while providing light.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Bro Gary,
I, too, am LEO for my Lodge. You are making it too difficult on yourself by trying to make original offerings for every Lodge meeting. That just is not necessary as it eats up too much personal time. You can present articles others have written (give handout copy), give tests without answers and discuss the answers, have a roundrobin of reciting the the degree obligations (first person asks question - next person answers, on and on- if someone misses either question or answer they must leave the circle, or review a book. You can get community speakers to come on allied topics, Open your mind to new ideas on presentations and you will find that you have ample time and information. Mostly just relax asnd have fun while providing light.
Good Advice!

G

Gary

Bro Gary,
Thanks for the suggestions!