masonic instructor?

Did a 3rd degree at my lodge earlier this evening. Although I've done a couple parts in other degrees, I've been most active in taking parts in this particular degree. Afterwards, a brother aproached me asking if I considered becoming a masonic instructor.
For those of you who are a masonic instructor, I was just wondering how long have you been active in blue lodge before you became a masonic instructor?
I was raised in Aug. 2010, and the more I think about it, the more I'm considering making this a goal.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I'm trained and qualified to be an instructor, but I am not allowed to teach at Lodge of Instruction as long as I'm an Officer. Grand Lodge wants LOI to be about the candidates and the Officers and since the Candidates go out of the lodge room for instruction, the instructor can't be present for the Officers' training.

I took my certification test about a year after I was Raised. I'm a Gnerd, though. I read everything I can get my hands on about the Craft and know a lot of the history that even our WMs don't know.

Though I am not “trained” and/or “certified” I have been mentoring new Brothers (and even of few older Brothers) for a year or so. I was raised in February 2010 and like Brother Windrider I love to read everything that I can about Masonry. I find that they best way to learn is to teach what you think you already know. You will be amazed how much you learn when you are forced to answer questions posed by another Brother. We all see things from our own perspective. Your knowledge will grow in leaps and bounds once you are able to see and explain something from multiple perspectives. I love to “instruct” new and existing Brothers whenever possible and would highly recommend you do it as well.

New light! My lodge did a 2nd degree and lodge was closed about 4 hours ago. Afterwards, myself and about 4 other brothers (2 of which are masonic instructors) were sitting just outside the lodge building, just b.s.'ing. What started out as 30 minutes turned into about 2 1/2 hours of practicing lines/asking questions about different degrees. With this, I made my decision of going for my masonic instructor status.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
New light! My lodge did a 2nd degree and lodge was closed about 4 hours ago. Afterwards, myself and about 4 other brothers (2 of which are masonic instructors) were sitting just outside the lodge building, just b.s.'ing. What started out as 30 minutes turned into about 2 1/2 hours of practicing lines/asking questions about different degrees. With this, I made my decision of going for my masonic instructor status.
You will not regret it. I got in line and the next year found out that you can't be an instructor and an officer at the same time in my jurisdiction. Some of my most enjoyable experiences were as an instructor before this rule took effect.

You will not regret it. I got in line and the next year found out that you can't be an instructor and an officer at the same time in my jurisdiction. Some of my most enjoyable experiences were as an instructor before this rule took effect.
Just wondering, what jurisdiction is your state? Because I'm also wanting to get in line for the offices as well.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Just wondering, what jurisdiction is your state? Because I'm also wanting to get in line for the offices as well.
As it says in my signature, I'm in Massachusetts. I'm going to be installed as Senior Deacon next week and as Secretary/Treasurer of the 12th District Lodge of Instruction on the 25th.

As it says in my signature, I'm in Massachusetts. I'm going to be installed as Senior Deacon next week and as Secretary/Treasurer of the 12th District Lodge of Instruction on the 25th.
Yes, but is Mass. a northern jurisdiction state or a southern jurisdiction state?

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
In Craft Masonry, Massachusetts and the 49 other states plus Washington, DC are separate Jurisdictions, each with its own Grand Lodge. If you're talking Scottish Rite, we are Northern Jurisdiction.

In Craft Masonry, Massachusetts and the 49 other states plus Washington, DC are separate Jurisdictions, each with its own Grand Lodge. If you're talking Scottish Rite, we are Northern Jurisdiction.
Learn something new everyday! I guess I didn't realize Northern Jurisdiction and Southern Jurisdiction only pretained to Scottish Rite. My bad.

Winter

I've been here before
Learn something new everyday! I guess I didn't realize Northern Jurisdiction and Southern Jurisdiction only pretained to Scottish Rite. My bad.
This is not a dig at you hawkeyedan, rather an indictment of the state of Freemasonry today, where a man can be raised as a Master Mason and not understand the basic organizational structure of our Fraternity and its appendant bodies. :confused:

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Please consult with your current WM and some of your PMs before putting yourself forward "to get in line for the offices." Sometimes people get into office for the wrong reasons, or at the wrong time and need some more seasoning and experience before being able to serve their lodge in that way.

S&F