Masonry and Western Art Music

johnj1582

I posted this over at Masons of Texas earlier today, and I thought that you guys might find it interesting... I will probably add more to it in the future, as I am working on writing a book about Masonry and Classical Music currently. Enjoy!

Most masons have a firm understanding of the basic principles of grammar, rhetoric, logic, arithmetic, geometry, and astronomy. But there is another discipline mentioned that it seems is often neglected, and it has much to teach the mason. That discipline is Music.

There are really many things about music that should make this art & science interesting to the Mason seeking additional light.

It is of peculiar interest to masons, that western art music and its theory were developed around concepts of mathematics that frequently appear, veiled in symbols, in our rituals.

Today I want to talk about the (arguably) most common chord progression in western music, the I-IV-V-I chord progression. If this discussion is a little over your head, feel free to ask as many questions as you like, and I will do my best to explain things a little better.

For simplicity, we will use the Major scale only today. There are 7 notes in the major scale (8 if you include the octave of the first note). A chord is named with a Roman numeral that corresponds to which scale degree is its root, so a I chord is a chord whose root is the 1st scale degree in the key. This is the "home" sound that usually starts and ends a song.

An interval is the distance between two notes. The first intervals considered consonant (pretty) were the perfect unison (the same note), the perfect octave ("Some-where" in somewhere over the rainbow), the perfect 5th (power chords in rock usually are simply a P5), and the perfect 4th ("here comes the bride")

the interesting thing is that the ratios that describe these intervals, and therefore these chord progression "I-IV-V-I" are (respectively) 1:1, 2:1, 3:2, and 4:3. these ratios form an AUDIO representation of the lesser tetractys of pythagoras. The SR mason might find the latter particularly interesting.

unfortunately, I'm going to have to cut it short here. I can post more later if there is interest. But right now, there is dinner calling.

pnr

For those that need an example, Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star is an example of the chord progression discussed.

I IV I
Twinkle, twinkle little star
V I V I
How I wonder what you are.
I V I V
Up above the world so high
I V I V
like a diamond in the sky.
I IV I
Twinkle, twinkle little star
V I V I
How I wonder what you are.

I'd be interested in you continuing this topic. You have me intrigued even though I am not a SR mason.

johnj1582

oops... didn't mean to let the thread go so long without an update. Well, since my OP, I've been asked by Dallas Valley to write an article for the fall newsletter, and I've sent it off for editing/publication. I'll keep everyone posted as to its publication date, and I'll post a link to the it when it's released. I don't want to spoil it for ya, so I'll just say that it touches on a LOT more cool information than the OP. AND, I still had to leave out a lot to conserve space!

jmansephus

Awesome!!! I've been waiting for music to come up!!! As a non-Mason I've been curious as to the nature of analyzing symbols and wondered if you (as Masons) account for resonant vibrations in the symbols or words??
Intervels, as you noted, are of huge signifacance to music theory. Especially the 22 shruti notes whose intervels, when combined, create our (western) 12 notes. I compare it to trying to examine atoms... the closer we look at it, the more complex it becomes.

johnj1582

Thank you, Bro. Russ! I appreciate it.

If anyone is interested, I can PM you the original long-form version of the article. It's much more in depth than the final print copy.

jmansephus

If anyone is interested, I can PM you the original long-form version of the article. It's much more in depth than the final print copy.

Loved the article!!!

If a non-Mason is permitted to read the in-depth version... I would love to!! If I am not permitted... I can wait, I'm patient :p
At any rate, Thank you!!!

johnj1582

Loved the article!!!

If a non-Mason is permitted to read the in-depth version... I would love to!! If I am not permitted... I can wait, I'm patient :p
At any rate, Thank you!!!
Thank you! I appreciate it. There were only a few spoilers in there, so I'll just take those out for you. The article stands just fine without them.