MM Topic Means or phrases commonly used

Nathan Lunsford

SeeksEnlightenment
Brothers, I am in search of means of recognizing fellow brethren besides the traditional ring. I have sneaking suspicions that there are fellow brethren walking by that I would just love to converse with and network with. The only thing is is that I don't want to get that awkward look of, "what are you talking about" when asking the age of a respective family member. Just trying to gain some knowledge brothers. I tried asking one brother if he had a small dog with a red collar with respective symbology, and then got a awkward look. Thanks in advance.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Have you tried, 'are you a traveling man?'. There quite a few Brothers who wear the forget-me-not pin, at least in Wisconsin.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Not to many play those recognition games anymore (at least around here) , that was something the old heads used to do . Things such as "I have a puppy this big....." , "How old is your grandmother?" being the most popular . The younger Masons (again , in my area) have gotten away from that and now take the direct approach . I have always found "Are you a Mason?" or "What lodge are you a member ?" have worked out the best for me .

Nathan Lunsford

SeeksEnlightenment
Very good brothers. I just wanted to keep some older tradition. But different times call for different measures. Thanks brethren.

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
Are you a mason? That seems to work pretty well.
I have read similar threads about mutual recognition and often wondered why this simple question wasn't asked.

The funny thing to me is, only a Mason would ask this question is a cryptic manner. A non-Mason would just ask, assuming he had reason to.

Winter

I've been here before
Remember, many of those traditions of circumspection go back to an era when being a Mason was often not flaunted publicly. It still isn't in many areas of the world. Even some Masons here in the US prefer to keep their membership private.

Nathan Lunsford

SeeksEnlightenment
Remember, many of those traditions of circumspection go back to an era when being a Mason was often not flaunted publicly. It still isn't in many areas of the world. Even some Masons here in the US prefer to keep their membership private.
I have encountered this at work. That's another reason why I was ask for a more subtle means of recognition. I also like to have a wide range of options so as not to allude certain signs and or tokens to cowans or eavesdroppers...

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
I can understand that and appreciate that, Winter.

I'm a rookie and my limited experience has so far been, that here in the U.S., a lot of Masons ask in a cryptic manner, not because of tradition, but because it's fun to keep a secret and recognize someone else who shares in that secret.

It just seems to me that asking in a cryptic manner is a dead giveaway that you're a brother and if you ask in plain English, then cowans learn nothing.
Would the cryptic questions be the same all over the world? The posts I have read seem like many aren't even the same from region to region, even here in this country.

This is one reason I love this forum. I have a lot to learn and I haven't experienced enough to appreciate most of what the Craft offers. Part of that may be utilizing these questions.

FamilyMan

Fidelis ad Mortem
I have been asked, some odd sounding questions. It may be better for you to ask some of the men at your next Lodge meeting, as they may be more familiar with phraseology used in your neck of the woods.