Medieval studies...Need some resources!

G

Gary

In medieval universities, the trivium comprised the three subjects that were taught first: grammar, logic, and rhetoric. The word is a Latin term meaning “the three ways” or “the three roads” forming the foundation of a medieval liberal arts education. This study was preparatory for the quadrivium.

The quadrivium comprised the four subjects, or arts, taught in medieval universities after the trivium. The word is Latin, meaning "the four ways" or "the four roads".

Does anyone have any sources for primer/ deeper study into grammar, logic, and rhetoric? I have been away from formal education for a while and could use some help reviewing and learning more about these subjects.

Coach introduced me to the Trivium/Quadrivium concepts, but I'm afraid I might need a "dummies" guide or reputable online source to review the basics.

Outside of going back to school... Are there any suggestions or recommendations?

Winter

I've been here before
Since a classical education is sadly alomst non-existent these days you might want to try some of the home-school programs. Some of these are geared for people who want pull their kids out of public schools to give them a classical education at home.

This was the first site that came up on a quick search:
The Classical Approach

Since a classical education is sadly alomst non-existent these days you might want to try some of the home-school programs. Some of these are geared for people who want pull their kids out of public schools to give them a classical education at home.

The Classical Approach
And spelling class too:D.....LOL...Bro Winter, I had to needle ya just a bit since you are finishing up your triple super MBA/PhD/.....

Winter

I've been here before
I think that one was on my phone and I'm not used to the new keyboard! lol But you are absolutely correct. I am always a stickler for good writing and should always proofread my posts! Thanks for the ribbing, Brother. lol

G

Gary

Since a classical education is sadly almost non-existent these days you might want to try some of the home-school programs. Some of these are geared for people who want pull their kids out of public schools to give them a classical education at home.

The Classical Approach
I gave the website a look, and I found a forum linked to home schooling. I think what I need is more of a guide/ review book on the subjects. I'll google Grammar for Dummies and see what I come up with.

I did find some free review websites/ videos for arithmetic, geometry, and algebra from your link. Thanks for the lead!

Before you begin to think I'm an ignoramus or something, I'm asking about help with these subjects so that I can write my own research papers. The last thing I want to do is write about a topic, and have it look like a third grader wrote it. It's been more than 20 years since I set foot in an english class. :eek:

Winter

I've been here before
Remember, what we call grammer, rhetoric, and logic is far different from the classicical deffinition. But you raised an interesting point. It makes me want to look into the traditional study of them. There's a reason they are a part of the Middle Chamber Lecture.

G

Gary

Remember, what we call grammar, rhetoric, and logic is far different from the classical definition. But you raised an interesting point. It makes me want to look into the traditional study of them. There's a reason they are a part of the Middle Chamber Lecture.
Yup! There certainly is.
I concur. That's precisely why I am studying them! :D

G

Gary

Thanks BG_TRBL! This will definitely be helpful. It's also a nice addition to my digital book collection too!

CoachN

Builder Builder
If I remember corectly, there was a series of Medieval writings studied for their allegorical references to the 7LAa&Ss. I think it was Capella's treatise "The Marriage of Philology and Mercury."

G

Gary

If I remember correctly, there was a series of Medieval writings studied for their allegorical references to the 7LAa&Ss. I think it was Capella's treatise "The Marriage of Philology and Mercury."
Interesting reading Coach.

Of note from the article:

"The eighth book describes a modified geocentric astronomical model, in which the Earth is at rest in the center of the universe and circled by the moon, the sun, three planets and the stars, while Mercury and Venus circle the Sun.This view was singled out for praise by Copernicus in Book I of his De revolutionibus orbium coelestium."

-Wikipedia

I had always thought Copernicus was responsible for that theory, at least that was what I was lead to believe. Hmph... You learn something new every day!

CoachN

Builder Builder
Yes. It was Copernicus who discovered the beginnings of what is now the current model. He did it using math.

This aforementioned reading material was required reading by many of the upper class on the scholastic track. This and "The Elements."