Memorization

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Do you still have all the degrees memorized? I think that would have to be one of the hardest things is remember all the degree work and things like Masonic Funeral Services and such. Do you tend to go over the work on your own from time to time?

accer

I'm lucky in that I have a photographic memory. I know that others work on their own time.....and repetition helps.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
it is difficult to keep degrees and work and charges separate sometimes. I find it easier to review the work about a week before giving anything. unfortunately that is not possible with the funeral service, but it is a beautiful service and is a humble tribute to our fallen brother.

PM#232

reviewer

Memorizing is one of the hardest things for me. It takes a lot of repetition and work and I don't retain it well.

accer

I have a friend who read everything he wanted to remember into a tape recorder and recites it along with himself on his drive to work. Seems to work for him.

reviewer

That's an interesting idea. I just try to take some time out every day when I'm trying to work on my degree work, though I can't say I've retained everything I've learned.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I have a friend who read everything he wanted to remember into a tape recorder and recites it along with himself on his drive to work. Seems to work for him.
just as a side note: check with your Grand lodge Rules, Regulations, and Edicts, most "forbid" doing that. Especially if you know the degrees, it may govern things of that sort.

PM#232

accer

Well he says they have no problem with it. I don't know as it's never been an issue for me. So I'll just take him at his word. But of course things could be slightly different in other places.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
That's no problem, as I know different jursidictions have different rules. I honestly can't say other than my own. Not to attack anything, but if you review the first degree (I believe it is the same, or close to it, everywhere, It contradicts what is being taught) of course that is just my interpretation of it. I have been told that work was written down in other parts of the world too. I'm glad to hear you didn't have a problem with learning the degrees anyhow.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I read over the lecture I'm trying to memorize over and over and over till I can read without hesitating . Then I start putting it to memory . But , most importantly , I learn the meaning behind the lecture and that helps out tremendously . After it's put to memory I repeat it out loud to myself like I am giving it to a candidate till I have it to the point that Ihave it down to where it sounds like I'm having a conversation instead of monotone and sounding like a robot .

Masonic Oak

I have all of mine in my head....Where it belongs;)

Our lodge does Degree practice, and teachings every Monday of every week except on holiday's.

It's great because the more you teach the more it stays fresh in your mind.

And, if you want to earn the teaching certificate in our state, you MUST know the work in all three degree's verbatim...From memory.

Papa

I hope I can continue to participate in the work. I feel it is very important for all of us to be active, otherwise we should just hang a neon coca-cola sign out front and change our name to social club.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I hope I can continue to participate in the work. I feel it is very important for all of us to be active, otherwise we should just hang a neon coca-cola sign out front and change our name to social club.
Agreed . The Ritual is very important and meaningful . It should not be given half hearted and without interest or some left out all together .