Michigan withdraws recognition of the Shrine

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
The way I understand it, the Imperial Shrine could bring the dropping of the requirement of being a Mason in order to be a Shrine before the membership at their next Imperial Session; but this needs to be voted on by the entire membership. We have no way of knowing if this would stand a chance of being passed. If past years are any indicator, the dropping of the Masonic requirement, is fairly safe, although the upcoming Imperial Session could be much more emotional than any in recent history because of the Michigan fiasco.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
It has been brought up for vote several times by the Imperial Shrine....aka the top dogs for the Shrine. This would be perfect time.... AGAIN
Yeah I know it has been brought up in the past. Now that this particular situation is out in the open, even though the Shrine drops the requirement I don't see it helping any of the Brothers who are currently under The MWGL of MI rules.

Personally, I like what the Shrine does for charity, but I'd like to see it separate and do it's own thing. I just don't know what the big picture looks like if that were to happen.

One thing is that we would lose the ability to claim the million plus dollars a day generated for charity (a claim the entire fraternity boasts). It would cause us to get off our proverbial arses and do something significant specifically on behalf of Freemasonry.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
AND he is CONVICTED and SENTENCED....it happened in Feburary.... actually 2-16-2011 to be exact.

NOT much to speculate there.....
and probably won't be sentenced until February

If I read it correctly, he will not be sentenced UTNIL February. But he did plead guilty. Not really sure of the details in the case, and why he is not being sentenced until then. Since the article states he crim is punishable by one ore more years which is violation of the rules, what if in February he is sentenced to 6 months?

There could be some backroom politics as there always seems to be on that level.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
One thing is that we would lose the ability to claim the million plus dollars a day generated for charity (a claim the entire fraternity boasts). It would cause us to get off our proverbial arses and do something significant specifically on behalf of Freemasonry.
We already have some great charities. The Grotto, although that is the Shrine. They offer dental work. Scottish Rite has their Learning Centers, the York has the Eyes. I highly doubt however, any of those or any knew ones would be able to get the recognition the Shrine has.

I'm split on the the splitting of the two. I see it hurting both, although I can see the Shrine getting more membership as there are those who do not wish to go through the BL to get to Shrine. But not sure what requirements they would offer, and if it would diminish the quality of people.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
We already have some great charities. The Grotto, although that is the Shrine. They offer dental work. Scottish Rite has their Learning Centers, the York has the Eyes. I highly doubt however, any of those or any knew ones would be able to get the recognition the Shrine has.

I'm split on the the splitting of the two. I see it hurting both, although I can see the Shrine getting more membership as there are those who do not wish to go through the BL to get to Shrine. But not sure what requirements they would offer, and if it would diminish the quality of people.
My comment regarding charity was directed at the BL. Every appendant body has a charity, but what would happen if the BL was able to boast the numbers that the Shrine does? Each jurisdiction has it's own charity, but if the collective of jurisdictions found a common one to also participate in, that might really say something for BL Masonry.

The reason the Shrine does so well is that it is nation wide in it's collection of funds for it's charities. Every jurisdiction participates. Change that dynamic to the BL, and we might have something... Just thinking out loud here... :1-wink:

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
My comment regarding charity was directed at the BL. Every appendant body has a charity, but what would happen if the BL was able to boast the numbers that the Shrine does? Each jurisdiction has it's own charity, but if the collective of jurisdictions found a common one to also participate in, that might really say something for BL Masonry.

The reason the Shrine does so well is that it is nation wide in it's collection of funds for it's charities. Every jurisdiction participates. Change that dynamic to the BL, and we might have something... Just thinking out loud here... :1-wink:

I understand. I see it a lot more difficult for each Blue Lodge to get those numbers up there. If each BL did something local, it would also boost perception of us in the community.

But I honestly do not see it happening on a BL level. Typically in a BL there is not enough interest in it from membership. Not to mention the Shrine gets a lot of its donations also from wills, trusts and endowments. If you ever take a tour of our hospital here in Tampa, we have a wall with names of people who have donated well over 6 figures too. The person who gave me my tour told me he had a bet running with someone on who could get the largest donation. Well he was giving a tour one time to a widow. When he showed her the wall, she asked why her and her husbands name was not on there. They found out the donation was set upon both of their passing away. While there she called up her lawyer to get the money released the next day. I forget the exact figure, but it was in the 7 figures. How often do you hear someone donation 7 figures for the BL to use?

The Shrine has the publicity. Many in the BL do not seem to want anything to do with that.

It would be great if the BL would do more. I've often suggested car washes, haunted house, pumpkin carving, or other things to raise money for charity through my BL. My answer over all the years is that it would not be successful as the GL does not allow us to advertise anything like that or some other excuse. I still try to bring something up, talk to other members and try and get them to bring it up. But how long will the average person try? I've been trying since 2007. Heck, people avoided me last year at this time and all I wanted them to do is sign a card for widows.

If I read it correctly, he will not be sentenced UTNIL February. But he did plead guilty. Not really sure of the details in the case, and why he is not being sentenced until then. Since the article states he crim is punishable by one ore more years which is violation of the rules, what if in February he is sentenced to 6 months?

There could be some backroom politics as there always seems to be on that level.
NOPE, you read it incorrect:

According to this site( Offender Tracking Information System (OTIS) )...run by Michigan he was sentenced 2-16-2011. In all reality, he is due to complete his sentence (probation) 2-3-2012....

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
NOPE, you read it incorrect:

According to this site( Offender Tracking Information System (OTIS) )...run by Michigan he was sentenced 2-16-2011. In all reality, he is due to complete his sentence (probation) 2-3-2012....

I am surprised that Mr. Hodapp would get his facts wrong.

If what you said, he is server less then a year then correct?

I'm just wondering, because again according to Hodapp:
pleading guilty to a crime punishable by incarceration of one or more years, and per Michigan's Masonic rules
Now is it just pleading of guilty to a crime that is punishable by one ore more years, or is it having to server one or more years? And is probation as you posted, the same as incarcerated.

Again, I cannot help but wonder if there is more politics involved in this then the article leads one to believe.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
This is from the comments section on Hodapps site.

(4) In my opinion this is all because Elf Khurafeh had a Circus in Lansing and the Masonic Circus put on by a PGM went out of business.
Did the Potentate have a Masonic trial as GL of Mi Code indicates (sec 8.4.1.1; or was the trail circumvented by the GM's order?

Has the Potentate filed an appeal to the GL? If he has, per Code Sect. 8.6.12 he is a 'Mason under Charges' and is not expelled or suspended.

According to MI Masonic code 8.1.3.3 the GM can expel a mason if convicted by the court of an offense that can be punishable by one or more years in jail.... doesnt say they have to serve time..... he could have been sentenced to jail but only got probation....

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
According to MI Masonic code 8.1.3.3 the GM can expel a mason if convicted by the court of an offense that can be punishable by one or more years in jail.... doesnt say they have to serve time..... he could have been sentenced to jail but only got probation....

Interesting. It still does not validate what the Shrine has done, unless like one poster has said and he has not had a Masonic Trial, or is appealing the ruling. But this really makes me wonder more about the back story between the the two bodies and the two people involved. Maybe the one commenter on Hodapps website has some truth to it. None the less, to me, it is a sad turn of events and I'm thankful I do not live there.

Interesting. It still does not validate what the Shrine has done. But this really makes me wonder more about the back story between the the two bodies and the two people involved. Maybe the one commenter on Hodapps website has some truth to it. None the less, to me, it is a sad turn of events and I'm thankful I do not live there.
Me too...... I am glad you dont live there either..:1-wink-grin:..LOL...it gets way to cold there.....

Seriously though, it is a bad situation for the Brothers of Michigan....