NC Prince Hall Affiliated recognition

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
In its Annual Communication on Saturday, September 26, 2015, the Grand Lodge of Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons of North Carolina voted to Recognize the PHA Grand Lodge of Delaware. I was dismayed to see some scattered 'against' votes, but it still passed overwhelmingly.
In an unexpected (to me) move, the Committee on Fraternal Correspondence put forth a Motion:

WHEREAS, Forty-two states and the District of
Columbia have recognized Prince Hall Affiliated
Grand Lodges in their jurisdictions; and,

WHEREAS presently the Grand Lodge of North
Carolina recognizes four Prince Hall Grand Lodges
located in, to wit; Alaska, Delaware, Maryland, North
Carolina, and Oklahoma;

NOW, THEREFOR BE IT RESOLVED: The Grand
Lodge of Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons of North
Carolina recognize all Prince Hall Affiliated Grand
Lodges who are in amity with Grand Lodges presently
recognized in these United States and the District of
Columbia; and,

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: This Grand Lodge of
Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons of North Carolina
grant recognition to Prince Hall Affiliated Grand
Lodges that may in the future be granted recognition by
a Grand Lodge with which this Grand Lodge is in amity.

MOTION: To adopt resolution.
(Approve) (Reject)

This Motion passed easily.

Bob Franks

On Tuesday, December 29,2015, we had an open installation of officers at my Lodge. A Prince Hall (PHA) Brother attended and something amazing happened.
It was...nothing. The Lodge opened, it closed. It was like NOTHING HAPPENED AT ALL...

Bob Franks

...And then, 2 meetings later, a Brother my age (we're the Baby Bo0mers! We're supposed to be against racial discrimination!), took me aside and told me that several older Brothers, AND HE, were upset because I had 'brought him to the lodge.' He then went into a long story of what he saw during a period of racial unrest in our town and seemed to think this was justification for his belief that a black man should not stand as a Mason in our lodge. He accused me of fomenting discord and unrest in the Lodge, as if I had done something wrong.
I did not bother to tell him that I didn't BRING Brother Paul, I was alone in my Buick.
Also, I did not actually invite him. At a recent MMD at another Lodge in a nearby town, the Master-Elect of the other Lodge (it was a joint installation), invited all present, and Bro. Paul was present.
I just kept my mouth shut, except to say that we would have to agree to disagree.

What kind of response can I GENTLY give to a Brother who accuses me of unMasonic Conduct by encouraging what is simply Masonic?

I am sick of feeling that many of my Brothers mistake Freemasonry on the local level with the K--.
[sigh]

S&F

I had the privilege about a month ago of seeing a 3rd in my district where 2 brothers from PhA attended and even participated. It was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Franks

And then...A few weeks ago I was in a resort area a few hours away. Beforehand, I called the local masonic contacts I have to see what's going on while I am there. I was invited to deliver The Middle Chamber Lecture in a PHA lodge. It was a great experience.

S&F