New canidate

juniordeacon85

NC MASON
i was recently on an investigating committee for the first time and would like to know how others meet with their new candidates (at the lodge at their home or on a other location) and some of the questions you may ask them

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Well I just got put on out investigating committee and would love to hear what others ask.

At our Lodge, we meet with the candidate and their spouse/girlfriend. We basically ask why they want to join, what their interested are in the fraternity, ask if the spouse if she is ok with it, if she is ok with the time commitments that one usually spends at first learning the Degree work, answer any questions they may have. We try to meet at their house if possible, but we will do meetings at the Lodge.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
We usually meet in their homes , you can tell a lot about a person in how they live .
I ask them why they want to be a Freemason , what they think they'll get out of Freemasonry and their opinion of Masonry .

juniordeacon85

NC MASON
we basicly do the same at our lodge i pefer to meet with him at his home but we do meet at the lodge also we ask about their hobbies, work, free time, and what they expect from joining, and other clubs they may belong to, how many masons do they know and why they want to join along with how much do they know about masons

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I like the one about their hobbies and free time . I'll have to add that to our investigating questionaire . Hope you don't mind I steal the idea .

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I've had the opportunity of conducting several candidate investigations. We always make it a home visit and encourage their entire family to be there. There are certain regulations in Pennsylvania concerning investigations. We like to meet with the individual at home, this allows them to be more comfortable and "in-control" of this. We ask how they learned about the fraternity, what drew them to asking for a petition, who they believe they know are masons. We also need to confirm all of the information on the petition, (grand lodge doesn't like it when you make a spelling mistake). After all of the formalities are done with the investigation, we ask for any questions from the candidate or his family. We answer any / all questions to the best of our ability. One of the biggest things we are sure to do, is make sure that the candidate and his family understand the "laudable" work that freemasonry does eg. charitable contributions per day, charities of choice of different masonic bodies... Also make known to the families of the associated bodies for females.

Finally, after everything is done for the evening, please make arrangements for the candidate to visit the lodge, show him around, explain a little bit about the process for the night of the first degree, when to come, where to wait, what garb is expected to be worn, a little bit about the preparation, and finally, reassure him that he will never be alone during the process.

This works best, we have had at least one candidate leave during preparation due to not being advised prior to degree.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Green-Moo

It is encouraging to see several answers which include involving the spouse / family. The approval & support of one's partner is surely essential.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Finally, after everything is done for the evening, please make arrangements for the candidate to visit the lodge, show him around, explain a little bit about the process for the night of the first degree, when to come, where to wait, what garb is expected to be worn, a little bit about the preparation, and finally, reassure him that he will never be alone during the process.

This works best, we have had at least one candidate leave during preparation due to not being advised prior to degree.

Hope this helps a little bit.
I like that idea. I may have to steal that. :D