New Here

Richard_Vier

Fellow Craft
Hello!

I'm new to this forum, and not yet a Freemason. Figured I would take some time and introduce myself and maybe detail what brought me here.

My name is Richard, from Ogden Utah. I'm a father of two beautiful daughters... a six year old and eight. I work at The Home Depot, but am also a commercial and portrait photographer. The lodge I have been looking at is the Golden Spike Lodge #6 here in Ogden, UT.

I have had an interest in your fraternity for a few years now. Everything I have read regarding your principals and standards has done nothing but inspire me. Maybe I'm yearning for the brotherly bond I've read about. Also, the symbolism appeals to me. I can't explain it, really. Just the tag line "Making good men better" appeals to me in a very deep way. I've always striven towards self-improvement and self-mastery, as much as I've been able.

As interested as I have been, I know very little. Just superficial accounts read in books and what I've been able to gather over the years. I've never known a Mason (that I've known of) until recently. A co-worker and a friend is the chaplain at the Golden Spike Lodge as it turns out. I noticed the square and compass tattoo on his leg and asked him about it. Really glad I did! That question catapulted us into nearly an hour long discussion about his family history with the fraternity, his personal experiences, and how becoming a member has impacted him as a man. After assuring me that he could literally talk about it for hours we have decided to meet up for coffee so he can answer questions that I have.

A question for all of you: He had mentioned the availability of information about the craft and it's rituals online and in books. He stressed the importance of ignorance when it comes to the degree work. Said that those moments will have more of a deep and meaningful impact on me if I don't know what's going to happen beforehand. So, to the point... Are there any books or resources that you recommend that would give me more insight about what the fraternity is about? A history of it and some of it's members? After speaking with him I'm weary of finding my own materials due to misinformation.. and also because of the info that's been wrongly disclosed. Maybe someone can set me on a straight and narrow that won't ruin any of the degree work for me, should I chose to petition. He didn't have much to offer in the way of literature recommendations, so here I sit.

I do believe that he will be the greatest resource for answers to any of my questions, and I'm thoroughly impressed with how forthcoming and enthusiastic he has been about the subject.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance.

-Richard

goomba

Welcome to the site and congratulations setting out on a Masonic journey. I read the ritual many times over before I joined. That fits my personality and worked for me. For me it wasn't an issue. However, for some it could ruin the experience and I think it would have been about the same for me either way. It's kind of like driving. You car read about it, talk about it, and even watch some videos about it. But until you drive for the first time then you get it. Basically replace driving with any activity and you get the point. My two cents YMMV.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Believe it or not, one of the best introductions to the Craft is "Freemasonry for Dummies"by Christopher Hodapp. Brother Hodapp is a very distinguished Masonic author and speaker. He is also a 33rd degree Scottish Rite Mason. You get all the information you need without revealing the things you will find out during the degrees. When you're done with it, hand it to your wife. She should understand what you're getting yourself into as well.

Greetings Richard (from a Freemason in England),

The best books for you to seek out would be books about the history of Freemasonry in your particular State and also the beginnings over here in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Dave Hommel

Past two-time Secretary, now Senior Warden
Richard, I and many of my local brothers feel very strongly that the less reading / googling, the better.

You already mentioned the important reasons to join (principals, standards, brotherly bond), so that's enough to warrant joining. Learn everything else the old fashioned way.

Be forewarned that Masonry cannot make you a better man any more than your church can. Like them, we provide good lessons, but it's up to you to put them into practice.

Richard_Vier

Fellow Craft
Thanks for the replies! Quick update: Last month I went to a meet-up they had at the lodge and was surprised to see another mason I knew there. After talking with them I decided to petition, as well as pay in advance for the EA work. My investigation was yesterday and they'll vote the first Thursday of next month. Everything about it gets me excited.

I'm a little anxious, though. Here's hoping!

-Richard

montkun

Congratulations on taking the first steps to your journey in Masonry. I would recommend that you pay extra attention during the degrees as you progress, and be willing to ask questions of the Brothers in the lodge whenever you're confused or unsure about a section of work. Best of luck to you.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
When asked where you were first made a Mason, the answer is "In my heart." It sounds like you're that kind of man. I am certain you will be elected to receive the degrees and look forward to calling you "Brother".

Charlie Buckles

In the jurisdiction where I was raised they no longer ask the "In my heart" question. It was sad for me because that question is one of my fondest memories of my father.

Richard_Vier

Fellow Craft
I've been reading Freemasons For Dummies and have skipped chapter 6 at the author's suggestion. I love it! It's exactly what I was after. The history is so interesting.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Oh, Chapter 6. That's where Brother Hodapp explains about the goat.... just kidding.... oh, sorry, just joking ;)

Most of us make these kinds of jokes. Let me assure you that this is not a college frat house. Nothing happens during the degrees that you would be ashamed to do in front of your mother. You will never be hurt or humiliated in lodge (unless you join the Shrine, then all bets are off. Those guys are crazy.)

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Enjoy the degree. Ask your sponsor if he can take you to another lodge after you are initiated to see it from the sidelines. You will understand it better once you can relax and observe rather than being in the thick of it. There's a lot to retain. Even now, as Master of my lodge, I learn something from each time I see a degree. Remember, every man in that room voted to be your friend and brother. You have nothing to fear from them.

Richard_Vier

Fellow Craft
The initiation was incredible, as you all know already. What I wasn't prepared for was the impact the whole experience would have on me. My friend made it a point to do my apron lecture, he wanted to be involved. His father recently moved to AZ, but was in town finalizing things here and I was so happy he could make it for my EA. What I didn't know is that he was sitting in the East for my Obligation, and he did my lecture. It was all incredibly moving and was a very emotional night. I had a hard time keeping composure... my heart was so full.

And thanks for the welcome and warm words. It really has been amazing how gracious everyone has been, both in lodge and online.

Our secretary wasn't able to attend so I barely got my catechism today. Excited to get going on this.. meeting with my coach on Sunday. With enough coffee I can memorize anything so, here goes. :)

Richard_Vier

Fellow Craft
So I have my catechism down. Doing my proficiency tomorrow in open lodge. From what I've gathered it's the traditional way, but not the norm now. Is it the same in your jurisdictions?

I'm excited/nervous about reciting it in front of so many brothers. I still haven't really gotten to know most.

The in my heart question is included here in Utah.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
We are not required to return proficiency in open lodge in Massachusetts but it can be done by order of the Master or lodge tradition. I'm considering bringing it back.

One thing I realized very early on in my Masonic journey was that when you are performing ritual everyone in the lodge wants ou to succeed. You will find nothing but support during your time in front of the lodge. You brothers want you to do well.

Richard_Vier

Fellow Craft
It was a great experience. Nerve wrecking, but satisfying all the same. I killed it! And everyone was very enthusiastic and supportive about it. I got the impression that I gave everyone a real treat.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Congratulations! I have no doubt that your coach would not have let you return your catechism (that's how we term it in NC, AF&AM) until you were as ready as you were going to get.

Richard_Vier

Fellow Craft
Congratulations! I have no doubt that your coach would not have let you return your catechism (that's how we term it in NC, AF&AM) until you were as ready as you were going to get.
Thanks Brother! Yeah, we call it a catechism here too, but they specifically call it returning proficiency when you pass it off. (UT, F&AM)

We're doing my FC on the 18th! I'm excited. One of our past masters told me that he believes it to be the most beautiful degree, and is his favorite. It's going to be a long week.