New Laptop

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
My Windows Vista machine crapped out on me so I had to get a new one . I think they put timers in these machines so they will break down every two or three years . I bought a Toshiba (on sale) running Windows 7 premium . I have to say , I am loving this Windows 7 .

I stripped my old laptop down to nothing but the OS and a few of the needed programs and drivers and gave it to my wife as her "Facebook/internet" machine , since that's all she does on it .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I love toshiba's laptops. Although the last time mine broke, I got a netbook instead. I miss the toshiba though.

Mortarfan

I'm looking to buy a laptop for my daughter for Christmas. She will need Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint (etc.) on it, and then also use it to surf the web and watch videos. What do you suggest I buy?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Now it has only been a month or so with my new Toshiba , but I am really digging it . From all I have read , Toshibas get good marks . Everyone I talk to who owns Toshibas loves them .

alice30

Acer

I just got an Acer. It is alright though there are a few problems with it. I still don't understand the difference between windows vista and windows 7 though. Seems minimal to me. Maybe I am missing something.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
There are several differnces but most are under the hood and not obvious at first glance . The task bar is better , it is much faster and more stable than Vista , it has a better Media center , a much improved UAC ( popup ballons or boxes which pestered users with Vista when apps/programs ran) , better integartion of periphials . With even more tweaks and improvements of apps and programs than that of previous versions of Windows . Windows 7 is by far more superior than Windows Vista . Vista was a huge mistake on Microsofts part and it took forever to get the bugs worked out of it .

roy.kurka

MM, RAM, KT, 32*, DEMOLAY
I have had nothing but problems with Toshiba, but thats just me. I have a dell that I love. I have kept it on for days (which is not reccommended for laptops) and I have never had a problem. Dell is good, but they have a tendency to expensive. Netbooks are good for just that, going on the net. They are not meant to be work horses with typing and things like that. They do not have the ventialtion on them to keep them cool after being on for so long. I suggest a regular laptop, Dell, HP or something like that. I work with computers so if you have any questions, PM me and I will be more than glad to help you out!

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
My mothers two Dells were/is junk . My mother had problems out of both of her Dells out of the box and still continue to have problems with them .

I am looking at the black friday ads and looking at what Wal Mart has...yes Wal Mart...for basic stuff, I cant see going to expensive.....I have a good home PC but want something I can lug around to the fire house....I take classes online so it will be basically used for doing papers and playing on here and FB......so I am not gonna spend too much...the laptops I am looking at have Windows 7 Home Premium, 250g HD, 2-3g RAM (upgradable to 4g),wireless,CD/DVD player/burner, LED or LCD screen....for the minimal cost, the biggest problem I have found is the processor...Intel Celeron......I plan to get an external HD too....I saw a 1.5 terabyte one for $119.00 but will prob just get a 500g one ..... black friday sale..$40......I will have to buy MS Office 2007 but that is no big deal....student book store....
I dont play games or run any crazy programs.....it will basically be my day-planner...music player...and picture storage. And maybe a place to store some e-books....

Brother Liberty

Service Officer
Its funny, I have had nothing but Dells and never had an issue. My desktop is about to hit a decade old and still works just fine. About five years ago I increased the RAM as the hard drive got fuller thanks to a digital camera but thats it. It has moved with my four times and fall off the desk at least twice. Still kicking.

I bought myself a birthday present this year and got a 500 dollar Dell laptop. It has been a dream. Running windows 7, which I love, and Office Enterprise edition. Still super fast and easy to use.

TrowelTalk

Not an expert on the subject, but have recently gone through a serious review of offerings for a purchase of ten machines for my company.

For sheer reliability and ease of use (after an initial learning curve) it is hard to beat a MacBook Pro. Yes the OS is different, but today you can do anything you want on a Mac that you can do on a PC, including all of the Office Suite software. I have two personally, an old G4 that is 5 years old and has been passed down to my son; its NEVER failed to work properly and never crashed, froze or otherwise caused me a problem.

If you absolutely, positively, must have a PC based laptop you have to refine your search by answering some basic questions:

How durable does it need to be? You can get nicely priced laptops in plastic cases which will perform, but may be less than durable if you travel a lot or use it in rugged locations.

Basic computing or serious gaming or video editing? As components get better and faster to keep pace with gaming demands, deals can be had by buying last years technology if all you are going is basic personal and business computing. things like an i7 processor or super fast video cards will drive the price up several hundred dollars.

How much faith are you willing to place in a reputation? Dell has an up and down reputation. A few years ago their laptops were junk and customer service terrible. Before that they were state of the art. Now the professional IT people feel they are back on top of their game after having their lunch eaten.

Warranty and service. Apple has created a remarkable network of stores that also provide training and warranty support. If you don't go Mac or don't live near one, consider Best Buy. they are everywhere and if you buy their extended warranty package the Geek Squad is at your service. This beats having to deal with a Sony, Toshiba or HP rep over the phone, or worse yet, via email.