New lawnmower

RickJ

I'm looking for a new push mower. Ours just up and broke. My son is happy for the time being! He doesn't have to push mow this weekend. I think I want one with the bigger wheels on the back. Are these really easier to push?

RickJ

That is what I was thinking, any brand that you might think is better? I need something that will hold up, I don't want to give my son too many breaks! :D We own a John Deere rider.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Husqvarna's are my push lawn mowers of choice . They cost a little more but worth it .

You can never go wrong owning a John Deere .

RickJ

I didn't really want to put that much money into the push mower (like a Deere). I like John Deere's for riders and tractors. I will take a look at the Husqvarna, thanks for the recommendation.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I had thought of upgrading my mower recently. It is a battery charged electric, and for as small as my yard is, I can barely get two mowings out of it. What I found is John Deere's are expensive and so are their parts. As I was looking for a riding mower, I'm not sure if this is true for push behinds, but it seems like there were only two engine makers. Briggs and someone else. There were maybe three different actual manufactures, who the sold under three or so different names.

When my brother ran a lawn care company he used toro, but he just bought a craftsman rider for his home.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Honda makes a great small engine .

I had a couple of Craftsman push mowers and the decks are bad to rust out on them more so around the wheels . I had to pull the engines , blades , wheel assemblies and handles off the craftsman and put them on another deck .

JohnnyZ

I have a Sear's push mower, it works well. I was thinking of upgrading to a mower with the bigger wheels on the back too. They just look easier to push.

G

Gary

Steer clear of the Toro. I got a high boy self propelled last year. Got one season out of it and then the transmission was shot. I have an 80 x 120 lot.

The motor starts on one pull, but the transmissions on those things leave a lot to be desired. I can replace the mower for what the tranny would cost to replace.

My next mower will be either a Husqvarna or a John Deere. Craftsman makes a decent mower too I'm told.

Starlight

I have always been afraid of the lawn mower. I have been telling my husband that if he wants me to help out he needs to get a push mower.