New Noble woes

NewNoble

I am a new Noble. To say that I am ignorant about the Shrine would be accurate. Like any new candidate, I seek further light. However, I have met with a series of dead-ends. My initial contact to BeAShrinerNow went unanswered. I persisted and was finally obligated. I am currently having a difficult time learning about the Units and Clubs. My Temple's website is short on information. I have e-mailed the IP, Membership Chair, and my top-line signer twice and have not received a reply. Phone messages have gone un-returned.

On the night I was obligated there were two clear messages: "congratulations, welcome" and "get involved." How is a new member to get involved facing these obstacles? THIS may be a (if not THE) reason for declining membership in the Shrine.

I do not want to sound like a whiner; I believe in the mission of the Shrine, but if the organization does not "get with the times" membership will continue to decline. Men, young men, expect organizations to be web-savvy. They expect instant access to information. Websites need regular and constant updating. E-mails need to be replied. Facebook should be employed. Whether Shriners choose to accept these truths or not, they ARE the ways of the world. Adapt or perish.

I hope mine is a unique experience. I hope others reply and can point me in a right direction.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
First, hello and welcome to the forums. Secondly, Although I am not a Shriner myself, I would caution you at this point to not be too harsh on the experience. You may have just encountered a part you can help with. If you insist on immediate access, web-savvy fraternities, it should become your duty to assist and "get involved" with it. Unfortunately it seems you have had a rough go of getting responses from anyone, how close is your temple? Do you know when they meet? Attempt to contact the Secretary about contact information / times. Go and meet with them, when you do, express your frustration, and concerns over lack of information, but I implore you to be kind in your words. Good Luck.

I hope mine is a unique experience. I hope others reply and can point me in a right direction.
I'm sorry that you have had a less than satisfactory first experience with the Shrine. A couple of questions. Where are you from? Does your town have a "Shrine Club" chartered by your temple? Are you active in your Blue Lodge? How were you "recruited" into the Shrine?

I have found my experience in the Shrine very rewarding. With a little more info, maybe I can give you some suggestions that may lead you to the same.

Mike

So this guy NewNoble comes to the forum, posts, kind of jumps the Shrine's case, asks for help, then disappears never to be heard from again. I suppose this happens alot on web forums (this is the only one I've ever participated in) but it pretty much ticks me off!

Winter

I've been here before
Maybe he got an answer from someone and is happily on his way and doesn't need us anymore. We can hope. :)

NewNoble

Actually, I am still around. I submitted my original post in March. I read the two responses that came in the next few days and then....nothing. I watched the forum for a few months, and saw little/no activity. I concluded that there is really not much going on here.

In the meantime I have attended monthly and unit meetings at my temple, asked questions, offered my services, but have not gotten far. I hear a lot of "supposed-tos," (as in "someone is supposed to contact you as a new Shriner...I don't know why he has not" and "someone is supposed to be updating the website" and "someone is supposed to e-mail you.") The gentleman who was obligated the same night as me has not been to a meeting/event since the night of his fezzing. Another one gone.

Mike, I am not trying to "jump on the Shrine's case," but answering your questions would have "outed" my temple and I don't want to attack. I suspect my situation, sadly, is NOT unique. Until the organization becomes more in tune with younger (potential) members, it is doomed. MANY Shriners I speak to lament the loss of old timers and the lack of young, new men joining. My impression continues to be that the Shrine is a group who is not willing or able to change with the times and is no longer attractive to young men. Simple attrition, more dying than joining, does not bode well for the organization. The worse part is that few people I speak to seem to care.

I really do care about the organization, the mission, and the people. In fact, I care enough to tell the emperor he has no clothes.

edwmax

Mike, I am not trying to "jump on the Shrine's case," but answering your questions would have "outed" my temple and I don't want to attack. I suspect my situation, sadly, is NOT unique. Until the organization becomes more in tune with younger (potential) members, it is doomed. MANY Shriners I speak to lament the loss of old timers and the lack of young, new men joining. My impression continues to be that the Shrine is a group who is not willing or able to change with the times and is no longer attractive to young men. Simple attrition, more dying than joining, does not bode well for the organization. The worse part is that few people I speak to seem to care.

I really do care about the organization, the mission, and the people. In fact, I care enough to tell the emperor he has no clothes.
The Shrine is not that way at ALL. And, answering the questions above will have not effect on your membership; .... if it does, your are in the Wrong shrine. .... You said "On the night I was obligated ..."; this is not right. Shriners are made, not obligated; and the Shrine ceremony is normally an all day thing with a private dance (Ball) that night.

What is the name of your Shrine Temple and city it is located?

Winter

I've been here before
Actually, I am still around. I submitted my original post in March. I read the two responses that came in the next few days and then....nothing. I watched the forum for a few months, and saw little/no activity. I concluded that there is really not much going on here.
You have to remember, this is a forum. Which implies two way communication. You posted your query and Brothers began responding. But there was no further input from you or anything to show that you were still involved in the conversation or the forum in general. People are only going to talk at a wall for so long! lol If you truly want input from Brothers here, then get involve in the discussion and keep it going. Also get involved in other discussions here. Having been burned by posters once or twice, the members here can be somewhat leery of new posters.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
SnipHaving been burned by posters once or twice, the members here can be somewhat leery of new posters.
Weary... no???

<Looks Noble up and down> Name, age, place of birth, favorite color? J/K

I'm not a member of the Shrine so I don't have anything really to add but I wanted to wish Noble the best of luck

NewNoble

Nobles,
I apologize if I have offended any of you in my search. I am sorry if I did not offer the replies people are looking for. I am sorry that I misused, through ignorance, the word "obligated."
To answer some more questions, there is a local "Shrine Club.” Essentially it is a bunch of older gentlemen who meet monthly for dinner at a restaurant. I was active in my Blue Lodge, but I have not attended recently. The lodge has business meetings, conducts degrees, and little more. I go to enough meetings at work. I was not "recruited" into the Shrine; I came on my own. A large part of the reason that I joined the Shrine was to make a difference and be active; things I was unable to do at the Blue Lodge. I still fail to see the value of knowing which temple I joined and where it is located. Perhaps our group is struggling and all of the others are doing just fine, but I doubt it. Shrinedom is shrinking. The hospitals are losing $20+ million dollars EVERY MONTH! I suspect that my woes are not different from others like me.
I have spoken to the Divan members at our temple and explained my frustration. Some have sympathized, others seem to have not. There have been discussions at monthly meetings and membership/attracting new members/etc. has been the topic. All acknowledge the problems, but then no one makes the changes that need making. I am willing to do what is expected of me. But if I am never asked to do anything, if I offer but get no response, what conclusion can I reach?

edwmax

Nobles,
I still fail to see the value of knowing which temple I joined and where it is located. .... But if I am never asked to do anything, if I offer but get no response, what conclusion can I reach?
Because there are Clandestine Shrine groups claiming to be part of the Shriners International. ... Since you don't want disclose this info, may be a better question would be: ... Is your Temple, address and Recorder listed as a Temple under the Shriners International in Tampa; or listed under the PHA Shrine? You should be able to verify this from the web sites.

Winter

I've been here before
NewNoble,

Don't disparage. I wasn't coming down on you. I was merely explaining that you shouldn't take it wrong when people do not post more in a thread you began if you do not continue the conversation. The brothers here are more than willing to help a fellow with issues and concerns.

I am not concerned what Temple you come from, as long as you are not from a clandestine one.

So hang around and let's discuss your issues, they are valid ones and it is something many Masonic organizations are experiencing.

NewNoble

Ooooh.. I understand now. I am not affiliated with a clandestine Shrine temple. Our temple IS listed on the Shriners International site (Tampa).

edwmax

Then get a calendar of the Temple events and be present when you volunteer to help. .. They will put you to work. ....

I'm a Noble of Hasan Shrine in the valley of Albany, Ga. ... You stated: "... but answering your questions would have "outed" my temple and I don't want to attack. ..." I don't understand this statement; if it meant you would be suspended from the Temple by giving it's name and location; ... that is wrong & will not happen ...???....

Winter

I've been here before
What he meant was, some of the Nobles there may have taken it amiss if he was "talking out of school." We have all seen it where some Brothers take it personally when you discuss issues outside of the group. Since I don't know his group, I believe this is a valid concern.

NewNoble

... We have all seen it where some Brothers take it personally when you discuss issues outside of the group. Since I don't know his group, I believe this is a valid concern....
Thank you, this is exactly why I am reluctant to disclose my locale. Also, I am not sure that mine is a unique situation and that it is not beneficial for ALL Nobles to think about.

Ask yourselves....How do YOU attract/involve/keep new Nobles in YOUR temple? Is your membership growing or shrinking? The median age of Nobles in our temple is 71. Could some of your new Nobles feel the frustration I do?

I would love to see a thread here about recruitment/retention of members....maybe I'll start one?

Winter

I've been here before
Do some searching before you post. There are more than a few threads concerning recruitment and retention. It is a central issue that is discussed on a regular basis. I would also reccomend looking for a document called Laudable Pursuit.

As for the issues facing the Shrine, I can try and help but probably in a general manner since I am not a Shriner, nor do I have any interest in becomming one.

edwmax

Thank you, this is exactly why I am reluctant to disclose my locale. Also, I am not sure that mine is a unique situation and that it is not beneficial for ALL Nobles to think about.

Ask yourselves....How do YOU attract/involve/keep new Nobles in YOUR temple? Is your membership growing or shrinking? The median age of Nobles in our temple is 71. Could some of your new Nobles feel the frustration I do?

I would love to see a thread here about recruitment/retention of members....maybe I'll start one?
With the average age being 71; I'm sure, it is the younger Nobles and new Nobles are the ones pulling the weight.

NewNoble

I DID research the forums for "recruitment" and got no posts (except a few where the word "recruitment" appears). If someone can connect me to some posts dealing with with recruitment, I'd appreciate it.

And....maybe the problem at our temple is that the younger/new Nobles are NOT pulling the weight (and are not expected to). Instead, the older gents are doing it "the way it has always been done" and that does not work anymore(?).

Mike, I am not trying to "jump on the Shrine's case," but answering your questions would have "outed" my temple and I don't want to attack. I suspect my situation, sadly, is NOT unique. Until the organization becomes more in tune with younger (potential) members, it is doomed.
Hi NewNoble, I'm glad you're still around, and I apologize for being harsh on my prior post. The reason I asked the question I asked, is because many of the Shriner's in my club are 30-50+ year members and have travelled the country, been to many Imperial and regional sessions, and may have or no someone as a contact point. Our temple is broken into probably 30 to 40 units and clubs. Not a whole lot goes on at the temple unit, more so at the unit and club level, which was another point to my querie. Without having any more info, I just don't have much to give. I do agree that we need to find a way to get more in tune with younger members. I'm 45. I often say I can go to a blue lodge officers meeting on Monday Night and be the oldest guy, and go to a Shrine club dinner on Tuesday Night and be the youngest. Good Luck to you.