No TV

Rick

My family has decided to go without TV and see what happens. We have been without TV now since January of this year and have learned more about each other and about our hobbies than we ever did. I'm glad we did this. I didn't realize how much the "boob tube" was taking over our lives.

Tom

My family also does not have a t.v. We have 3 actual televisions, but we watch movies on them. I agree you find out a lot about your family members when you are not all engrossed in a tv show!

Georgetown

We have T.V.'s but don't watch them that often. We tend to get bored with it after an hour or so, and go out to do some yard work with each other.

Brenda_Lee

I think this would be a great idea for our family. Now convincing my husband to go along is going to take some doing. Now a day the quality of the tv shows have dimish so much as well as the lack of good family programming.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
With the except of a few TV shows and movies, I tend to feel like I'm being lazy when watching TV. I do keep it on when I am working though, usually on something like History Channel or a news channel. I'm not a fan of the reality TV programs, and that seems like all they play anymore.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I mostly watch the History Channel , Investigation Discovery channel ( true crime stories)that I found a couple of months ago and the NatGeo channel so I don't consider it a complete waste of time , I am atleast learning something .

RickJ

Usually in the summer we don't watch much TV either. We are usually outdoors doing something together. I think it's a great idea to get rid of the TV for some bonding time.

johnny

The TV is not an essential part of our daily lives either. We love to be outside or just spend time inside as a family sitting around playing games or watching a movie.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
That is refreshing to hear . Most people these days use their TV as a baby sitter . My neighbors across the street from me told me they would rather have their children in front of the TV rather than outside , because they would have to get up and go out also to keep an eye on them . So sad .

When I was growing up , we only had two channels , so we were outside all the time . But even when we did get cable TV , we still stayed outside playing .

Georgetown

I'll watch the morning news to remind myself why I don't live in Phoenix anymore. I can catch the news online, but I just like the newscasters in the morning. It's like they're an extended part of our family at this point.

Rick

I used to feel that way too until I tried this and now I'm just glad I did. It is so much calmer and quieter at my house. We actually can hear each other now when we talk. If we want to watch a movie, we choose it together instead of me watching something in the living room and my wife watching something else in the bedroom. It's nice.