Noarthern to southern--Same symbols for degrees?

Azpir8king

I am looking to find out if the symbol for the 14th degree in Southern Justification SR is the same as the symbol for NJ Scottish Rite. Are they all the same or are there differences? An example is the 14 deg in Southern Jurisdiction :
The jewel of the 14th Degree is split; one being a quadrant (compass open to ninety degrees) topped by a crown and with a nine-pointed star on the obverse; the other being a five-pointed blazing star with the Tetragrammaton on the reverse. The compass is opened on a segment of a circle inscribed with the numbers 3, 5, 7, 9. The duties are to assist, encourage and defend the brethren; to protect the oppressed and relieve want and distress; to enlighten the people and serve the common good.

Is it the same for 14th in Northern Jurisdiction? A link to a chart would be very helpful....(I know the degrees have different names...just wondering about the symbology.)

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
You know I have never paid much attention to the SR NMJ . It seems that most all the attention goes to the SR SJ , or more to the point to Albert Pike and M & D .

If I am rememebring correctly , I believe the Dummies book By Bro. Hodapp touches on the differences but I loaned my book out to a non-Mason friend .

G

Gary

If you don't get a reply to your question by later this afternoon. I'll look in my Dummies book at home. I can't remember if he discusses that sort of thing or not. I also have some other reference material I'll dig through for you.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I don't think he goes into much detail , only about the different degree names . I am sure there is something out there , though .

Azpir8king

Yep, I am finding LOTS of references to the Historical differences and the differences in the degrees...even in the hats...but nothing on symbols. Actually I found a great symbols descriptions for all of the Southern, so If I could get a list of symbols for NMJ, that would let me compare. (colors, symbols, sash, materials, etc)

G

Gary

You might need to get your hands on a NMJ Ritual/Monitor. If it's like the SJ, it's got all of that sort of stuff in there I would think.

Dont hold me to it, but I dont believe the NMJ has a monitor/ritual ..... I can get back with ya after the 20th.... joining that saturday in Indianapolis....

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
It may be that , unlike the SR SJ , they do not sell a ritual to any Tom , Dick and Harry Master Mason who wants one .

Azpir8king

I think I was able to settle it somewhat. I was just conferred my Sublime Prince of the Royal Secret yesterday in the Valley of Milwaukee.. The aprons, Jewels and symbols appear to be the same (or very close) even though the degrees differ slightly between N and S.

Azpir8king

It was awesome. I was Orator for our class and gave a speech at the banquet. The GWM for WI and the GC commander gave me Kudos. They liked the message and the Humor.

The Humphreys Scottish Rite Center here in Milw has a Fantastic amphitheater. They have professional sets, sound/lighting and over 1000 costumes to put on the degrees.Its so over the top cool.

I have seen a video put out my the NMJ...it has a few guys from the Milwaukee in it...and the Humphrey SR Center looks good.....if ya get a chance check out
Indianapolis Scottish Rite

The Cathedral in Indianapolis is amazing..... speaking of which, in 12 hours, I will be on my way there to begin my SR journey

chodapp

There are now almost no similarities between NMJ and SJ, apart from some degree names. And there are zero official monitors or published materials for NMJ members to study, apart from joining the cast and getting a script.

Not defending the situation, just stating it.

Azpir8king

There are now almost no similarities between NMJ and SJ, apart from some degree names. And there are zero official monitors or published materials for NMJ members to study, apart from joining the cast and getting a script.

as always..the man in the know. thanks.

Winter

I've been here before
I remember when I went through SR in the Valley of Madison here in Wisconsin that I was very vexed that we had no official monitors. And after I went through, basically, I didn't hear from anyone till the next reunion or when they wanted dues. I demited becuase I didn't feel i was getting anything from it.

Winter

I've been here before

Good to see you on here, Brother Hodapp!

Azpir8king

I remember when I went through SR in the Valley of Madison here in Wisconsin that I was very vexed that we had no official monitors. And after I went through, basically, I didn't hear from anyone till the next reunion or when they wanted dues. I demited becuase I didn't feel i was getting anything from it.
That could happen easily. My Class basically stampeded into the first meeting and made ourselves known right after our reunion. We are cataloging the Humphrey's Center Scottish Rite Library as our gift to the WGM. I was the oldest in my class at 47 (out of 13 newbies...a small class to be sure).

Its time for change and new ideas to promote our organization, attract good men and build on the experience of those that came before. There is a way to do this WITHOUT trampling all over tradition and the foundations.

The Old guard needs to come into the new century. The next generation of Mason's and Scottish Rite candidates are Internet savy and wired. If we are not there and using THOSE tools, we will become a footnote in history. Its that simple. Some feathers are going to get ruffled. Some old guys are going to have to get emails, make Trestle board PDF's and have websites built. They need to get over that.

The Scottish rite could do with a little more than "Fund raising" as its primary activity. Interim degree plays between reunions or classes on history of the rite, etc. Even an En masse appearance at local lodges would be more than is done now (at least here). I have heard about (but not seen) a roving Degree team from our valley. That will be nice if it evolves..

Azpir8king

One of my original intentions wit this thread was to determine if these paintings were appropriate and accurate for NMJ as well as SJ degrees.
Degrees of the Scottish Rite

No distinctive answer to that yet. not sure if the symbols are significantly different and NMJ (as Brother Hodapp points out) gives you NOTHING to reference once you are outside the building.

Winter

I've been here before
I'd say no. They imply that we actually have regalia associated with the degrees here in the NJ.