Not a hailing sign but a strong request

Status
Not open for further replies.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
I am writing a paper for my english final. I have no library card, overdue books I can't find and no money to pay right now, so I couldn't take any home with me. I need a few quotes for the paper (2 to be exact) and I need to cite them MLA style. I might use a quote from Coach but I was wondering if anyone has some goodies for me. I writing on How FM makes good men better.

CoachN

Builder Builder
#58. Masonry transforms the very core of a man firmly footing him for future Building.

BUILDING PERPENDS - Uncommon Aphorisms for Uncommon Masonic Education - Volume 5 of the Building Series

CoachN

Builder Builder
#50. Masonry Guildes men toward different definitions and understandings more Suitable to their needs and that of their Faith.

BUILDING PERPENDS - Uncommon Aphorisms for Uncommon Masonic Education - Volume 5 of the Building Series

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
#58. Masonry transforms the very core of a man firmly footing him for future Building.

#50. Masonry Guildes men toward different definitions and understandings more Suitable to their needs and that of their Faith.

is that guilde or guide?? I have to ask with ewe spellings kaan bea dipherent. and page numbers. I was gonna reference BH "throughout masonic riutals are metaphors referring to many aspects of stonework. upon its unveiling, one can find subtleties of meanings hidden well beneath many layers of symbols. they can provide great insight into what that work entails and wht that work can bring forth for a person so inclined to venture into its workshop." all capitalization by the author would be done properly.

CoachN

Builder Builder
is that guilde or guide?? I have to ask with ewe spellings kaan bea dipherent. and page numbers. I was gonna reference BH "throughout masonic riutals are metaphors referring to many aspects of stonework. upon its unveiling, one can find subtleties of meanings hidden well beneath many layers of symbols. they can provide great insight into what that work entails and wht that work can bring forth for a person so inclined to venture into its workshop." all capitalization by the author would be done properly.
GUIDES - too focused elsewhere - my bad - please forgive any implied offense of gildings.

I like your choice too!

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Proofread for structure please. next 45 mintues

Alexander E. Jackson
Dr. Fleming-Safa
English 101
12/04/2011
Freemasons have been intertwined in local neighborhoods and towns, businesses and churches, charities and many more areas that we see daily. The kicker is that many people neither know these people are Freemasons or what it is Freemasons do. To some the Freemasons are good men to others they are a sinister inner circle of men who run the world. What the Freemasons do and what they stand for is an interesting topic that should be explored.
Freemasonry is a fraternal organization with long, confusingly storied roots. To some the modern day Freemasons extended from the hidden Knights Templar, holy warriors from the Crusades who were exiled. Another school of thought is that Freemasonry formed out of the guild of operative, or working masons and these lessons were passed on to a gentlemen’s society in speculative, or observational Masonry. Whatever the roots Freemasonry takes on the operative mason’s tools and makes them the speculative Mason’s. How these tools are applied is what makes the fraternity and the Masons within Freemasonry special.
What makes a Masons? The speculative Mason is a man who was made a Mason in his heart first. This meaning, those men who come to Freemasonry should already be of good moral character, have a good reputation of the Craft in his eyes and be willing to learn. Teaching of young apprentices is a practice of the medieval guilds, that I believe, Freemasonry descended from. The speculative Mason is taught some of the basic symbols of the Order.
The importance of the working tools has always been evident to Freemasonry but to the Masons involved the study of these tools is taking on new light. Dr. John S. Nagy, a Freemason from Florida, is a scholar of theology and a motivational speaker. On the topic of “Masonic Work” he has written five books to help develop younger Masons. When talking about the teachings of Masonry, Dr. Nagy writes. “Throughout Masonic Rituals are metaphors referring to many aspects of Stonework. Upon its unveiling, on can find subtleties of meanings hidden well beneath many layers of symbols. They can provide great insight into what that Work entails and what that Work can bring forth for a person so inclined to venture into its Workshop.”(15) The rituals he refers to are the initiation rituals of Freemasonry and overtime the meanings have been lost. When the individual Mason takes the time to do the work it may not just be the mysteries of the Order but also unveil flaws that need perfected in oneself. These lessons are taught early on with the working tools of a Mason.
The primary tools of a Mason being the “square of virtue”, the “level of equality” and the “plumb of rectitude”. These tools would have been used to measure and try stones. Speculative Masons use these tools to “measure and try” their “living stone” which is the individual Mason. As a Freemason endeavors to aid the world in which he lives, the Mason uses his “stone” to add to the “Temple” of humanity. This “Temple” being completed by each “perfect stone” before it adds to the solidary of the Freemasonry.
Freemasonry consists of the three “blue lodge” degrees; Entered Apprentice, Fellow Craft and Master Mason degrees. The Master Mason, or Third Degree, is the highest degree a Mason may obtain. A Master Mason may vote in his lodge, hold an office in his lodge, travel as a Master Mason to other lodges and wear the symbols of Masonry. The most prominent of these symbols is the “Square and Compasses”.
The Blue Lodge, or the local home lodges of Freemasonry, is what make men into Masons. These lodges have seen growth over time in part to the appendant or side bodies. The most prominent of these is the Shriners. The Shrine is considered the playground of Masonry and does not impart any further knowledge on candidates. The Scottish Rite and York Rite are the next bodies which most Master Masons pass onto. The York Rite is more theological of all the bodies in Masonry and bestows titles only on the members who join. The Scottish Rite is composed of titled and numbered degrees from the fourth to the thirty-second. Both of these Rites have honorary titles than can only be earned after years of dedication; the 33rd degree, in the Scottish, and Knight of the York Cross of Honor, in the York. These Rites impart more knowledge on Masons but are considered by some as a distraction and frivolous as membership in each extra body is cancelled if you lose membership in the Blue Lodge.
The point was never driven home to me more than when I sat in lodge with the signer of my petition and Brother of my, Richard Luckay. Brother Luckay has spent over 50 years in Masonry and five years ago became a thirty-third degree Mason. As a celebration of his 50 years was being held he was called by the honorary title of a 33rd, Illustrious Brother. The room went silent, as all one hundred of the people in attendance wanted to hear what he had to say. Brother Luckay stood and said “Worshipful Master (the title of the Lodge head), as much as I am honored to be recognized by the Lodge I would like to say something.” His voice was strong despite his appearance, shaking knees, curved spine and knotted fingers on his black cane. “Freemasonry, true Masonry, consists of three degrees and three degrees alone. My work to earn this extra title wasn’t for the title but for the work. I please ask that you not refer to me as “Illustrious” as it holds no meaning in this Lodge and I am no more a Mason than this young Brother here.” With those words his hand rested on my shoulder with the strength of a lion.
Masonry does not offer salvation nor does it offer riches but it offers a Brotherhood of experience. This experience along with the drive of the individual Mason to learn can change a good man to a great man. That is what Masonry wants to do and what its Brethren should try to teach. This in the plainest terms a Mason can offer to a non-Mason is the best way I can explain how Freemasonry….”Works.”

Works Cited
Nagy, John S. Building Hiram: Uncommon Catechism for Uncommon Masonic Education.
Lutz, FL: Promethean Genesis Pub., 2009. 15. Print.

Alexander E. Jackson
Dr. Fleming-Safa
English 101
12/04/2011
Freemasons have been intertwined in local neighborhoods and towns, businesses and churches, charities and many more areas that we see daily. The kicker is that many people neither know these people are Freemasons or what it is Freemasons do. To some the Freemasons are good men to others they are a sinister inner circle of men who run the world. What the Freemasons do and what they stand for is an interesting topic that should be explored.
Freemasonry is a fraternal organization with long, confusingly storied roots. To some the modern day Freemasons extended from the hidden Knights Templar, holy warriors from the Crusades who were exiled. Another school of thought is that Freemasonry formed out of the guild of operative, or working masons and these lessons were passed on to a gentlemen’s society in speculative, or observational Masonry. Whatever the roots Freemasonry takes on the operative mason’s tools and makes them the speculative Mason’s. How these tools are applied is what makes the fraternity and the Masons within Freemasonry special.
What makes a Masons? The speculative Mason is a man who was made a Mason in his heart first. This meaning, those men who come to Freemasonry should already be of good moral character, have a good reputation of the Craft in his eyes and be willing to learn. Teaching of young apprentices is a practice of the medieval guilds, that I believe, Freemasonry descended from. The speculative Mason is taught some of the basic symbols of the Order.
The importance of the working tools has always been evident to Freemasonry but to the Masons involved the study of these tools is taking on new light. Dr. John S. Nagy, a Freemason from Florida, is a scholar of theology and a motivational speaker. On the topic of “Masonic Work” he has written five books to help develop younger Masons. When talking about the teachings of Masonry, Dr. Nagy writes. “Throughout Masonic Rituals are metaphors referring to many aspects of Stonework. Upon its unveiling, on can find subtleties of meanings hidden well beneath many layers of symbols. They can provide great insight into what that Work entails and what that Work can bring forth for a person so inclined to venture into its Workshop.”(15) The rituals he refers to are the initiation rituals of Freemasonry and overtime the meanings have been lost. When the individual Mason takes the time to do the work it may not just be the mysteries of the Order but also unveil flaws that need perfected in oneself. These lessons are taught early on with the working tools of a Mason.
The primary tools of a Mason being the “square of virtue”, the “level of equality” and the “plumb of rectitude”. These tools would have been used to measure and try stones. Speculative Masons use these tools to “measure and try” their “living stone” which is the individual Mason. As a Freemason endeavors to aid the world in which he lives, the Mason uses his “stone” to add to the “Temple” of humanity. This “Temple” being completed by each “perfect stone” before it adds to the solidary of the Freemasonry.
Freemasonry consists of the three “blue lodge” degrees; Entered Apprentice, Fellow Craft and Master Mason degrees. The Master Mason, or Third Degree, is the highest degree a Mason may obtain. A Master Mason may vote in his lodge, hold an office in his lodge, travel as a Master Mason to other lodges and wear the symbols of Masonry. The most prominent of these symbols is the “Square and Compasses”.
The Blue Lodge, or the local home lodges of Freemasonry, is what make men into Masons. These lodges have seen growth over time in part to the appendant or side bodies. The most prominent of these is the Shriners. The Shrine is considered the playground of Masonry and does not impart any further knowledge on candidates. The Scottish Rite and York Rite are the next bodies which most Master Masons pass onto. The York Rite is more theological of all the bodies in Masonry and bestows titles only on the members who join. The Scottish Rite is composed of titled and numbered degrees from the fourth to the thirty-second. Both of these Rites have honorary titles than can only be earned after years of dedication; the 33rd degree, in the Scottish, and Knight of the York Cross of Honor, in the York. These Rites impart more knowledge on Masons but are considered by some as a distraction and frivolous as membership in each extra body is cancelled if you lose membership in the Blue Lodge.
The point was never driven home to me more than when I sat in lodge with the signer of my petition and Brother of my, Richard Luckay. Brother Luckay has spent over 50 years in Masonry and five years ago became a thirty-third degree Mason. As a celebration of his 50 years was being held he was called by the honorary title of a 33rd, Illustrious Brother. The room went silent, as all one hundred of the people in attendance wanted to hear what he had to say. Brother Luckay stood and said “Worshipful Master (the title of the Lodge head), as much as I am honored to be recognized by the Lodge I would like to say something.” His voice was strong despite his appearance, shaking knees, curved spine and knotted fingers on his black cane. “Freemasonry, true Masonry, consists of three degrees and three degrees alone. My work to earn this extra title wasn’t for the title but for the work. I please ask that you not refer to me as “Illustrious” as it holds no meaning in this Lodge and I am no more a Mason than this young Brother here.” With those words his hand rested on my shoulder with the strength of a lion.
Masonry does not offer salvation nor does it offer riches but it offers a Brotherhood of experience. This experience along with the drive of the individual Mason to learn can change a good man to a great man. That is what Masonry wants to do and what its Brethren should try to teach. This in the plainest terms a Mason can offer to a non-Mason is the best way I can explain how Freemasonry….”Works.”

Works Cited
Nagy, John S. Building Hiram: Uncommon Catechism for Uncommon Masonic Education.
Very good... I did highlight a few spelling or grammatical errors....hope ya dont mind

on needs to be one
solidary ??? solidarity??

33rd instead of thirty-third??

CoachN

Builder Builder
Some suggestions:

Freemasons are intertwined in local neighborhoods and towns, businesses and churches, charities and many more areas that we see daily. As intertwined as Freemasons are in our communities, many people don’t know what it is that Freemasons do or that someone they might know is a Freemason. To some people, the Freemasons are good men. To others they represent a sinister inner circle of men who run the world. With such diverse directions, what the Freemasons do and what they stand for is a worthy topic to explore.
Freemasonry is a fraternal organization with a long history and with confusing roots. To some people, the modern day Freemasons extended from the hidden Knights Templar, holy warriors from the Crusades who were exiled. Another school of thought is that Freemasonry formed out of the guild of operative, or working stone masons with their lessons eventually passing on to a gentlemen’s society in speculative, or observational Masonry.
Whatever the roots, modern day Freemasonry took on the operative mason’s tools and made them the speculative Mason’s. How these tools are applied is what makes the fraternity and the Masons within Freemasonry so special.
What makes a Mason? The speculative Mason is a man who was prepared to be a Mason in his heart first. This meaning, those men who come to Freemasonry were already of good moral character, had a good reputation of the Craft in his eyes and is willing to learn. Teaching of young apprentices is a practice of the medieval guilds, that I believe, Freemasonry descended from. The speculative Mason is taught some of the basic symbols of the Craft.
The importance of Craft working tools has always been evident to Freemasonry but to the Masons involved the study of these tools is taking on new light. Dr. John S. Nagy, a Freemason from Florida, is a scholar of theology and a motivational speaker. On the topic of “Masonic Work” he has written five books to help develop younger Masons. When talking about the teachings of Masonry, Dr. Nagy writes. “Throughout Masonic Rituals are metaphors referring to many aspects of Stonework. Upon its unveiling, one can find subtleties of meanings hidden well beneath many layers of symbols. They can provide great insight into what that Work entails and what that Work can bring forth for a person so inclined to venture into its Workshop.”(15) The rituals he refers to are the initiation rituals of Freemasonry and overtime the meanings have been lost.
When the individual Mason takes the time to do the work it may not just be the mysteries of the Order but also unveil the flaws that may need perfected in oneself. These lessons are taught early on with the working tools of a Mason.
The primary tools of a Mason being the “square of virtue”, the “level of equality” and the “plumb of rectitude”. These tools would have originally been used to measure and try stones. Speculative Masons use these tools to “measure and try” their “living stone” which is the individual Mason. As a Freemason endeavors to aid the world in which he lives, the Mason uses his “stone” to add to the “Temple” of humanity. This “Temple” being completed by each “perfect stone” before it adds to the solidarity of the Freemasonry.
The Blue Lodge, or the local home lodges of Freemasonry, is what make men into Masons. These lodges have seen growth over time in part to the appendent or side bodies. The most prominent of these is the Shriners. The Shrine is considered the playground of Masonry and does not impart any further knowledge on candidates. The Scottish Rite and York Rite are the next bodies which most Master Masons pass onto. The York Rite is the most theological of all the bodies in Masonry and bestows titles only on the members who join. The Scottish Rite is composed of titled and numbered degrees from the fourth to the thirty-second. Both of these Rites have honorary titles than can only be earned after years of dedication; the 33rd degree, in the Scottish, and Knight of the York Cross of Honor, in the York. These Rites impart more knowledge on Masons but are considered by some as a distraction and frivolous as membership in each extra body is cancelled if you lose membership in the Blue Lodge.
The point was never driven home to me more than when I sat in lodge with the signer of my petition and Brother of my, Richard Luckay. Brother Luckay has spent over 50 years in Masonry and five years ago became a 33rd Degree Mason. As a celebration of his 50 years was held, he was called by the honorary title of a 33rd, Illustrious Brother. The room went silent, as all one hundred of the people in attendance wanted to hear what he had to say. Brother Luckay stood and said “Worshipful Master (the title of the Lodge head), as much as I am honored to be recognized by the Lodge I would like to say something.” His voice was strong despite his appearance, shaking knees, curved spine and knotted fingers on his black cane. “Freemasonry, true Masonry, consists of three degrees and three degrees alone. My work to earn this extra title wasn’t for the title but for the work. I please ask that you not refer to me as “Illustrious” as it holds no meaning in this Lodge and I am no more a Mason than this young Brother here.” With those words his hand rested on my shoulder with the strength of a lion.
Masonry does not offer “salvation” or riches. It offers a Brotherhood of experience. This experience along with the drive of the individual Mason to learn can change a good man to a great man. That is what Masonry wants to do and what its Brethren should try to teach. This in the plainest terms a Mason can offer to a non-Mason is the best way I can explain how Freemasonry works.

Works Cited

Status
Not open for further replies.