Observing the Craft

Lax67

I think it's an excellent book. In a nutshell, he calls on masons to demonstrate with action to uphold blue lodge as supreme over all other bodies. That's the main message he carries throughout the book, but then the balance of the book offers suggestions for how brothers can improve the overall lodge experience in terms of ritual, dress, festive boards, guarding the west gate. If you liked Laudable Pursuits: A 21st Century Response, you'll like this book.

The only question that's raised in my mind is that the author very clearly calls for masons to focus on blue lodge only, yet he's a RAM, belongs to the Scottish Rite and AMD. So that's seems odd to me.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I think it's an excellent book. In a nutshell, he calls on masons to demonstrate with action to uphold blue lodge as supreme over all other bodies. That's the main message he carries throughout the book, but then the balance of the book offers suggestions for how brothers can improve the overall lodge experience in terms of ritual, dress, festive boards, guarding the west gate. If you liked Laudable Pursuits: A 21st Century Response, you'll like this book.

The only question that's raised in my mind is that the author very clearly calls for masons to focus on blue lodge only, yet he's a RAM, belongs to the Scottish Rite and AMD. So that's seems odd to me.
<Addressing your comments in bold>

The fact that he belongs to other bodies should not be cause for concern. I have been doing some research on the reasons these other bodies even exist. To be honest, I recently joined one of the bodies. I have seen many many similarities in the teaching/ritual. Those who have done the Work of the Craft Lodge will recognize it immediately.

If you look at their teachings, they are nothing more than different explanations (albeit more detailed) of what the Craft (or Symbolic) Lodge teaches in it's ritual.

The point is that a Master Mason and member of these bodies is telling you that we need to pay more attention to the Blue Lodge. The fact that we neglect teaching, mentoring, and guarding the West gate is the reason we are in the mess we are in. That is why many migrate to these other bodies before learning the valuable lessons the Craft Lodge teaches.

In reference to the KofTN....the group that wrote Laudable Pursuits: A 21st Century Response you will find that many if not most of those also have the words Sir Knight,Companion, Sublime Prince or even Illustrious that they tag along to their name. I dont believe any including Hammer want to take away from any of the appendant bodies, they just want more focus back to the BL.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
In reference to the KofTN....the group that wrote Laudable Pursuits: A 21st Century Response you will find that many if not most of those also have the words Sir Knight,Companion, Sublime Prince or even Illustrious that they tag along to their name. I dont believe any including Hammer want to take away from any of the appendant bodies, they just want more focus back to the BL.
Yup! :1-say-yes:

Lax67

<Addressing your comments in bold>

The fact that he belongs to other bodies should not be cause for concern. I have been doing some research on the reasons these other bodies even exist. To be honest, I recently joined one of the bodies. I have seen many many similarities in the teaching/ritual. Those who have done the Work of the Craft Lodge will recognize it immediately.

If you look at their teachings, they are nothing more than different explanations (albeit more detailed) of what the Craft (or Symbolic) Lodge teaches in it's ritual.

The point is that a Master Mason and member of these bodies is telling you that we need to pay more attention to the Blue Lodge. The fact that we neglect teaching, mentoring, and guarding the West gate is the reason we are in the mess we are in. That is why many migrate to these other bodies before learning the valuable lessons the Craft Lodge teaches.
I think this response clarifies it for me. When reading the book I got the impression that Bro. Hammer was trying to state that 'we' should only be members of blue lodge, but now I see it differently. Thanks!

Anyway, it's a great book and I'm interested to hear if anyone has tried implementing the suggestions found in the book.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I think this response clarifies it for me. When reading the book I got the impression that Bro. Hammer was trying to state that 'we' should only be members of blue lodge, but now I see it differently. Thanks!

Anyway, it's a great book and I'm interested to hear if anyone has tried implementing the suggestions found in the book.
Based on your recommendation, I may just pick up a copy and give it a read. I've heard others give good comments about it as well.

Lax67

All three books are written by Brother Rev. Neville Barker Cryer. He's English and covers English workings of the degrees, but he digs so deeply into the background of the work eventually the histories converge.

Royal Arch Journey, What Do You Know About the Royal Arch and Tell Me More About the Mark Degree.

He also offers a series of books that cover aspects of blue lodge that are well worth the read. Just search on Amazon or Lewis Masonic USA.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Which body and what kind of research? If it's RA I've got some good suggestions for sources.
I'm studying the degrees of the SR (which I recently joined), and will be looking into researching the YR.

My research is directed toward the similarities of the bodies with the Ritual in the Craft Lodge. I'm going to write a paper that points out those similarities, and why/how you should go about learning the lessons in the Craft Lodge to get the most out of your Masonic journey in the Lodge as well as in the other bodies.

I am interested in the RA info ya got....

In the spirit of full disclosure I must say...I am 32nd & RA
I'm interested in the YR Ritual, but not in joining that body at the moment. I'm having too much fun researching the Craft Lodge. The SR was a natural transition for me being that I am a book worm.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have asked those who have migrated to these other bodies because of the neglect in their Blue Lodges if , instead of ignoring the Blue lodge because you do not like the direction it is heading , why not make the changes needed to get their Blue back on track and I have received looks as if I have a third eye growing out of my forehead and if posed on-line I do not get a reply . It does take hard work but can be done .

I really need to read this book ! I am in several bodies myself but still sing the praises of the Craft Lodge and will always put it above all other bodies .

Lax67

The fact that he belongs to other bodies should not be cause for concern.

The point is that a Master Mason and member of these bodies is telling you that we need to pay more attention to the Blue Lodge.
I shot an email to Brother Hammer and posed my question to him and he responded with a reply similar to what Bro. Gary wrote above. I won't republish it, but I'll say it was very thoughtful and well reasoned. He essentially called attention to the fact that he is able to make such claims, i.e., (focus our energies on blue lodge only), because he's been a member of these of appendant bodies and can speak from experience.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I shot an email to Brother Hammer and posed my question to him and he responded with a reply similar to what Bro. Gary wrote above. I won't republish it, but I'll say it was very thoughtful and well reasoned. He essentially called attention to the fact that he is able to make such claims, i.e., (focus our energies on blue lodge only), because he's been a member of these of appendant bodies and can speak from experience.
Excellent! I kind of thought that was his perspective.

Lax..... maybe you could send Bro. Hammer another email and send him our way...would love for him to chime in on the topics here on the forum...