OES memory work

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have been attempting to put the initiatory work for the OES to memory and I have half of it committed to memory but I have seemed to hit a brick wall . No matter how hard I study , it just does not want to stick . I have never had this problem with any of the Blue Lodge or York Rite Lectures/degree work . Maybe my brain is full (jk) ?

I am getting frustrated , and when this happens I put the ritual aside for awhile and take a break for a few days . But I just keep going over and over the same paragraph .

G

Gary

I'm not a member of the OES, so I don't know what their initiations are like. If they are anywhere near what Freemasonry is in the way they are put together, I suggest this;

Break the initiation down into blocks, Certain sentences or paragraphs have an important word in the phrase. Learn a paragraph or whatever at a time based on that. Kind of like the obligations in the degrees.

That's how I kept things in order, and used the "key word" as a prompt for the passage I needed to remember.

If you can remember more than a passage at a time, try remembering a page. Then stop until you have proficiency. Then move on.

I find trying to remember large blocks of material at one time can be frustrating. especially if the material has tricky wording.

Doing it this way, I grasp the material given to me in a very quick time frame.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Just a suggestion.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Thanks Gary , but breaking them down and using key words is how I have put all three Blue Lodge degrees in their entirety (with the exception of the third section of the EA degree) , Chapter and Council degrees and the various other lectures and ceremonies to memory . They all came to me so easily , except the Winding Staircase lecture (Middle Chamber) , which took me 6 months to commit completely to memory . But no matter which technique I use , the OES Intiation does not want to stick . Like I said ,a brick wall .

I have talked to my old mentor about this and we came to the conclusion that , because I have so much put to memory already and an officer in every body I am a member of , that I have spread myself to thin . Along with the fact that my OES Chapter is expecting to much of me by pressuring me to put it to memory .

G

Gary

Your last sentence pretty much sums it up Ashlar. Pressure and stress are not your friend.

Why is it that YOU are required to do the initiation work? Is there not someone else who could step up?

Seems to me that with all that you have going on it's just too much to give 110%... especially If 98% of your time has already been devoted to other leadership responsibilities.

I seriously doubt that your brain is full... But your plate certainly seems to be. That may be the problem at hand.

Sometimes when you try to adapt and overcome, the answer is delegate!

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Not a member of OES myself. Wanted to wait until the wife wanted to join. So far she has no desire. But is your wife a member? If so, can you study with her? Might help you both out. But I agree, especially with you in the East next year, you have a lot to memorize.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I am the Worthy Patron , and the Worthy Patron does the Initiatory work . The only other Brother who knows it in our Chapter is getting to the point he can no longer do it because of his age , so the torch must be passed to me , for now . Being the youngest ACTIVE member , I am feeling the pressure .

The wife is also a member and on officer , one of the Star Points and is working on putting her part to memory .

I think I am going to step back from it for a while and try again in a few weeks .

G

Gary

Ahh I see. Well, sometimes a break way from the work can give you time to regroup/recoup and go at it fresh.

I think you just taught me a very valuable lesson.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
When I first joined , because of my memory , I had older brothers coming at me from every direction to put their favorite lectures to memory . So I obliged them and did what I could , which turned out to be a huge endeavor , but there is very little ritual/ceremony in the Blue Lodge that I don't have put to memory , but it came at a price . Between that and the York Rite degrees and ceremonies , I have burned out .

G

Gary

Brother, It seems you need a rest from this issue then. I hope that those in your OES chapter can understand this and give you the substantial time for refreshment.

On a side note- Thanks for sharing this experience with us. For me as a New Master Mason, it has taught me that while we can get involved in the many avenues offered in Freemasonry, etc... we need to be mindful that we can easily take on more than we can handle without burning out.

Each "body" seems to push for active involvement with the goal of having every member assume a leadership position or more responsibility. Which is good to a point. The problem is, so many join, get what THEY want out of it, and leave the operations of the Lodge, Chapter, or whatever to those few who ACTIVELY participate. Therein lyes the problem, for which I have no solution.

I genuinely feel for you brother.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
That is very true Gary . Many Lodges , Chapters and YR bodies are ran on the backs of a few .

What I do is , only when I am asked by new Master Masons , what lectures they can put to memory , I will assign them one and only one . And once they have it down and they are comfortable giving it in open lodge . I will tell them they can learn another if they feel like it but they need to take their time and do not overload themselves .

G

Gary

Sound advice. I'm going to have to take things one step at a time. It all so exciting, I definitely don't want to be a flash in the pan...

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
We have a brother who just dualed up with my lodge. He is from Kansas and the work is a little different, he is willing to learn and has taken it upon himself to learn one of the ruffian's parts. It is interesting to see him during practice try to prevent the Jayhawk from coming out in Huskerland.:D He had been Secretary of his Kansas lodge for 9 years before moving to Nebraska.

Hediru

I am a member of Star and am willing to help you with your work if you'd like. PM me to discuss details.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have switched up my studying method and it is FINALLY starting to click . My biggest mistake was studying from my chair . I work better while moving around as if I am in a Chapter during the ceremony . I still have to glance down at my ritual/Secret work and read some of it but not as often as before .

My biggest problem now is getting it letter perfect as the ladies do not like "Getting it close" , they like it word for word perfect . And I tend to change up some of the words to match the wording in the Blue Lodge ritual .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I would like to add that some of the finest ritualists I have ever seen are the Ladies in the OES . We may have more degrees in the Blue Lodge than they do , but if a brother has never seen the OES Initiation you are missing out because it is the most elaborate and beautiful floor work you will ever see .

It leaves me scratching my head how these ladies remember it all .

Hediru

Yeah, walking around always helped me in memorizing my OES and Rainbow work. It's especially helpful when you have to be able to walk and talk at the same time (something that is much more difficult than it sounds).

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Yeah, walking around always helped me in memorizing my OES and Rainbow work. It's especially helpful when you have to be able to walk and talk at the same time (something that is much more difficult than it sounds).
I honestly do not know how the Conductresses remember the elaborate floor work for the degrees . I remember that I was exhausted when they finally allowed me to sit down after my induction into the Order and I was not the one in heels !!!

Hediru

I haven't yet been Conductress (grad school is making my life too hectic to enter the line right now), but I was Faith in Rainbow (similar responsibilities during initiation) and it was my favorite office! The trick is, you memorize different musical or verbal cues to hit different points in the room, and that helps the flow. :)