Off to the Vet

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Well , I am getting ready to take two of my dogs to the Vet . Over $100 each not including heart worm medicine and flea treatment , I would love to put them on my insurance policy . I hope the federal government passes the legislation that allows us to right pets off on our taxes .

jenlee

I love my pets too. I hope this passes this year also so that we can do the same in our house hold. I have looked into the pet insurance but I don't find it worth the money.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I too have looked into it and do not see it worth the money . Also I have done some research on it and from what I have read , these "pet insurance" companies do not like to make their payouts .

I think pets should be a tax right off . Studies have been done to show that pets are great for a persons well being . Petting a dog or cat is great stress relievers , and lowers the heart rate . This is why they have prgrams where volunteers take dogs and cats to hospitals and homes for the elderly . Same with aquariums , a study was done to show that dentists and doctor office patrons were calmer in the offices with aquariums , than those who do not . I do not care how bad my day is or how stressed I am , I can sit and watch my fish and I calm right down , it's almost hypnotic .

Mortarfan

I spent $400 to have my cat in the hospital for a week. I hear you about health insurance for pets or being able to deduct from our taxes. I didn't even know this was being talked about?

jimzdat

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I spent $400 to have my cat in the hospital for a week. I hear you about health insurance for pets or being able to deduct from our taxes. I didn't even know this was being talked about?

They started trying to get this passed because of the economy . So many people can no longer afford to keep their pets . Pounds/rescue groups are becoming over whelmed because so many people are having to give their pets up . My chow had to have a treatment done that was going to cost me a $1,000 , I could not afford that so I sold off a lot of my hand tools , table saw and drill press to cover her bill and save her . She is/was (she has since passed on) more important than a bunch of tools , but it would have been nice to have been able to write that off on my taxes so I could have gotten a small portion of it back .

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
Great link, I was surprised, my vet clinic is on there also. It is pricey to have pets, but they are great for you, frustrating sometimes but they give unconditional affection.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I too have looked into it and do not see it worth the money . Also I have done some research on it and from what I have read , these "pet insurance" companies do not like to make their payouts .
Neither do the human health insurance companies either. But that is a whole other story, and I would like to stay calm.

GrapeApe

It's the same with any type of insurance now. I had the first accident I've had in years last year and my insurance jumped up to over $300 a month. We have to have it in our state and they know it. I think it's highway robbery.

Oh, on the note of Flea and tick spot on. Bayer Tree and Shrub spray is supposed to be the same stuff that Frontline is. You can look it up and check but a guy who deals in Beagles for fox hunting uses it on his dogs in his kennel. They also use a cow wormer (in smaller quantities of course) from Tractor Supply to worm their dogs with. It may help some with the costs.

Junior

That just plain sucks man. I would try to find a cheaper insurance. Yeah, insurance is a scam as far as I'm concerned. You have to have it but then when you try to use it, even if you haven't used it before, they give you all kinds of grief for it. I've had health insurance for years and never used it. I would say if I tried they would increase the premiums on me IF they paid the bills and probably even if they didn't pay the bills.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
I am lucky, I work as a school bus mechanic for a public school, and they provide as part of the benefits package BCBS family insurance for us. The deductable is $375 per year and we have had no trouble getting them to pay for any covered costs, they even cover the back cracker that I go to. A good prescription plan also.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Be REAL careful with CareCredit

OK, it's not exactly insurance, but it may help with those large bills: CareCredit Healthcare Finance - Payment Plans and Financing for Cosmetic Surgery, Dental, Vision, Hearing, Veterinary & Other Medical Procedures

I had never heard of it until I went to my dentist, and they use it for patients to help ease the pain of paying the unreal cost of dental care (even WITH dental insurance, it's expensive).

I was surprised to find that you can even use it for veterinary care!
You've got to be REAL careful with CareCredit!
It has no interest UNLESS you don't pay off the balance by the end of the promotional period, then you'll owe ALL THE BACK INTEREST.
You can either pay minimum payments until just before the end of the deadline, then pay off the last of the balance, or do like I do and pay enough over the minimum to stay ahead of the deadlines.

If you can't keep up with either of those, DON'T USE CARECREDIT!
Contact me by PM for more warnings.

S&F

jimzdat

Pretty much the same deal as most all promotional interest rates/6 month same as cash deals - I only used it because I didn't feel like paying $1500 in one shot for my crown work; that lets me pay it off over 4-6 months (gave my 24 months no interest)

Trust me, it's not just CareCredit..... learned that valuable lesson in my younger days.