Open House in Maryland State-Wide

cemab4y

I am neither promoting, nor endorsing this event.

I received a copy of an email from the Grand Secretary of Maryland. I am copying it here, for informational and discussion purposes only.

The Grand Lodge of Maryland is sponsoring a state-wide Open House, on April 2, 2011. Every lodge in the entire state will be open to the public on this date. Here is the announcement from the Grand Secretary:

Every Lodge in Maryland will be open on April 2nd from 10am – 5pm.

You can visit our website: Maryland Masonic Family to find the closest Lodge!

Jason M. Sentz
Office of the Grand Secretary
Grand Lodge of Maryland

======================================================================

The Grand Lodge of Maryland is the sole promoter of this event.

PORTION DELETED
What do YOU think about this development?

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Massachusetts did this back in October. It was a great success for the brothers and the public. Good luck with yours.

TrowelTalk

I am neither promoting, nor endorsing this event.

The Grand Lodge of Maryland is sponsoring a state-wide Open House, on April 2, 2011. Every lodge in the entire state will be open to the public on this date. Here is the announcement from the Grand Secretary:

Every Lodge in Maryland will be open on April 2nd from 10am – 5pm.

You can visit our website: Maryland Masonic Family to find the closest Lodge!

Jason M. Sentz
Office of the Grand Secretary
Grand Lodge of Maryland

======================================================================

The Grand Lodge of Maryland is the sole promoter of this event.

I must say, that I am delighted to see this occuring. The Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, holds two(2) state-wide open houses, annually. It is my hope, that other Grand Lodges will pick up on this idea.

What do YOU think about this development?
We are kind of excited about it to tell you the truth. I'm the Membership Committee Chairman for my Lodge (in Maryland) and we've already received as many inquiries in less than 6 weeks of the advertising campaign as we got all last year, and last year was busy.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I will add that you are promoting it by posting this on several Masonic forums on the internet .

And by this paragraph ...." I must say, that I am delighted to see this occuring. The Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, holds two(2) state-wide open houses, annually. It is my hope, that other Grand Lodges will pick up on this idea " , you are in fact endorsing it .

Ashlar...I thought the same thing.....

I have no problems with the Open House...we do it here too....

I just wonder how someone can say they arent supporting or endorsing it when they take the time to re-post it....if you arent doing either.....dont re-post....hmmmm

DavisB

I guess I am just new to all of this but what is the argument about having open houses? I think I may just not be seeing the issue...

I guess I am just new to all of this but what is the argument about having open houses? I think I may just not be seeing the issue...
This is from the MN Masonic Code, I'm sure other jurisdictions have something similar:

SECTION G6.03 Beside violation of Section C8.01, of the Constitution, the following specific
acts shall be deemed unmasonic conduct and shall render the offender subject to discipline.
(a) To improperly solicit the petition of a profane for the degrees of Masonry before he shall
have clearly indicated some interest in Freemasonry. Proper solicitation shall consist of the
following: A man of sterling qualities may be approached and informed, but only once. He must be
left to make his own decision. He should not be badgered.

I guess it can be debated as to how having an open house fits into rules of soliciting a profane. My personal opinion is "Go For it". If a non-mason walks into a lodge during an open house, I think it could be considered as indicating interest in Freemasonry.

DavisB

This is from the MN Masonic Code, I'm sure other jurisdictions have something similar:

SECTION G6.03 Beside violation of Section C8.01, of the Constitution, the following specific
acts shall be deemed unmasonic conduct and shall render the offender subject to discipline.
(a) To improperly solicit the petition of a profane for the degrees of Masonry before he shall
have clearly indicated some interest in Freemasonry. Proper solicitation shall consist of the
following: A man of sterling qualities may be approached and informed, but only once. He must be
left to make his own decision. He should not be badgered.

I guess it can be debated as to how having an open house fits into rules of soliciting a profane. My personal opinion is "Go For it". If a non-mason walks into a lodge during an open house, I think it could be considered as indicating interest in Freemasonry.
I agree with you. But I guess I do see both sides. I understand why the fraternity has and does benefit from not soliciting members but I think that walking into a lodge looking for information constitutes that.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Ashlar...I thought the same thing.....

I have no problems with the Open House...we do it here too....

I just wonder how someone can say they arent supporting or endorsing it when they take the time to re-post it....if you arent doing either.....dont re-post....hmmmm
I have no problem if he or any other person WANTS to promote & endorse such a program , just be upfront about it .

I , personally , do not endorse such an event , so I would not promote this event by posting it here or anywhere else .

I agree, be upfront and honest..... there is nothing wrong with helping get the word out..... but to me, when you are passing on the info, you kinda are supporting it... if I didnt support an event, I would not be relaying info....

TrowelTalk

I literally just finished meeting with three men who responded to our TV ad here in Maryland. All three seem to be men of exceptional character and experience and when asked "why" they individually expressed an interest in "being a better person" "helping others" "giving something back" and "associating with other like-minded men".

All three were motivated to "ask" for more information after seeing the TV ad and after meeting with me to ask questions and learn more they all "asked" to become a member.

No one bent their arm and the process seems to be resulting in positive results.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I literally just finished meeting with three men who responded to our TV ad here in Maryland. All three seem to be men of exceptional character and experience and when asked "why" they individually expressed an interest in "being a better person" "helping others" "giving something back" and "associating with other like-minded men".

All three were motivated to "ask" for more information after seeing the TV ad and after meeting with me to ask questions and learn more they all "asked" to become a member.

No one bent their arm and the process seems to be resulting in positive results.
Sounds great .

I really have nothing for or against it . I just know it would serve no purpose for my lodge nor many lodges in my area as we are far out in the country that we would have no one show up and most all of the local families are already members of our lodges . The young members we are getting are Lewis' , second , third and even fourth generation Masons .

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer

I am a Mason today, because a Brother, the father of a friend, told me he thought I would be a good Mason and invited me to a Fish Fry to meet some of the guys. Signed a petition that night, the WM had to go to his car to get one. :cool:

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Sounds great .

I really have nothing for or against it . I just know it would serve no purpose for my lodge nor many lodges in my area as we are far out in the country that we would have no one show up and most all of the local families are already members of our lodges . The young members we are getting are Lewis' , second , third and even fourth generation Masons .
Sorry , I was talking about open houses , not ad spots .

And I would like to add that we almost NEVER get strangers "off the street" . As I stated above most are the sons and grandsons of Masons , and those who are friends of Masons .

Duncan1574

And I would like to add that we almost NEVER get strangers "off the street" . As I stated above most are the sons and grandsons of Masons , and those who are not are friends of Masons .
I would add that I knew many of my Lodge's Brothers going in, however the ones that I am closest to are new friends. One is an old Brother, PM, etc, & Shiner clown. He and I were seating together watching an EA initiation. He leans over and tells me that 'they' won't let him do the WM part anymore and then proceeds to whisper the whole thing word for word to me while the ritual was going on, not just the WM, but ALL the parts and the floor positions. :eek:

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I would add that I knew many of my Lodge's Brothers going in, however the ones that I am closest to are new friends. One is an old Brother, PM, etc, & Shiner clown. He and I were seating together watching an EA initiation. He leans over and tells me that 'they' won't let him do the WM part anymore and then proceeds to whisper the whole thing word for word to me while the ritual was going on, not just the WM, but ALL the parts and the floor positions. :eek:
Well, yeah, but clowns have a tendency to pour paint down their pants and hit people with custard pies. Just not the sort of image we want to present during degrees.

cemab4y

Give me a break, guys. I am NOT a Maryland Mason. I just want to have a "wall of separation" between myself and the event. I am not permitted to interfere or advise any Grand Lodge (except my own), about anything. Therefore, I just want to keep a "distance". I made the posting, for informational and discussion purposes only. I just want to see what other Masons think about these open houses.

My personal opinion, is that I am delighted to see this. My opinion does not constitute an endorsement. I am not permitted to endorse the activities of another Grand Lodge.

Get it?

P.S. I have removed the portion which some find problematic. And yes, I have posted this event on some other boards, for discussion purposes only.

A friend of mine received an email from the Grand Secretary of Maryland, and I thought it was interesting.

I apologize, if I offended anyone by making this posting.

Duncan1574

And I would like to add that we almost NEVER get strangers "off the street" . As I stated above most are the sons and grandsons of Masons , and those who are friends of Masons .
Ashlar, How is that working for your Lodge? How many members do you have? Is that number growing? How many attend an average stated meeting?

I ask these questions as in my Lodge we have about 115 members and 20 active and attending meetings. Last years WM put forth the challenge of increasing membership by 10%, we ended his year with 8 new Brothers (so 8 0f the 20 are new guys). We have since ahd 2 more petition, one was initiated last Monday and one is in the investigation stage.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Ashlar, How is that working for your Lodge? How many members do you have? Is that number growing? How many attend an average stated meeting?

I ask these questions as in my Lodge we have about 115 members and 20 active and attending meetings. Last years WM put forth the challenge of increasing membership by 10%, we ended his year with 8 new Brothers (so 8 0f the 20 are new guys). We have since ahd 2 more petition, one was initiated last Monday and one is in the investigation stage.
We are closing in on 160 members , had a few deaths last year but we have several petitions out for waivers of jurisdiction that should put us over , it is the most my lodge has ever had . So yes , my lodge is growing . As for Active members at stated meetings , I will have to take a look at the Tyler's registry when I am out to lodge next and get back with you . We normally have large crowds though and I know it is more than 20 active members .

I have been doing even more traveling lately and I have noticed a trend . The City lodges are struggling , with very few active members and they are having trouble filling officers chairs . But the country lodges are thriving .