Paddlers

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Any paddlers here? I've been wanting a kayak for a few years. Sadly, I think it will end up being a canoe however. Just due to my girlfriends kid. I'm hoping to cheap out and pick on both on craigslist however. I just like the idea of taking the kayak out by myself on a fishing trip once in a while.

Deadhead Derek

For fishing I would go with a pontoon rather than a kayak.
IMG_2227.JPG
you can paddle with your feet as you land the fish, but row to where the fish are.
I always felt too enclosed to fish well from a kayak.
and canoes are just tippy. IMO

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
We used to have a canoe many years ago. I've fished from it ok. The problem is kids though. If we got kayaks, I'm not sure where the girlfriends kid would fit. I really like the sit on top kayaks. I used my brothers, who had it setup for fishing. I don't remember which model he had, but it was fun. Sadly he had to get rid of them.

It most likely will not be a for a month or two longer, if I can find anything.

How is the pontoon when it comes to portability. Can you carry it yourself? Does it fold up? I would be worry about it blowing off the roof of the SUV.

Deadhead Derek

I used to single strap it to the top of my old land rover, or just set it in the back of the pick up. Some have straps to "back pack" them, but in truth the can be awkward. but they fish great. a flat bottom canoe isn't all that bad, but as a fly fisherman only, they are limited on space for casting with munchkins along for the ride.

Yooperrider

kayak fishing

Although I have a boat, I love the ease of tossing my kayak in the back of my Escape and getting on one of the small lakes or rivers nearby for fishing. I use my ice fishing poles which adds to the fun. I had a shorter, wider kayak for my daughter when she was little that she was unable to tip over. For river trips, a kayak is the only way to go. You can get outriggers if you want more stability.