Patriot Groups

kcraig1011

32° Scottish Rite
Greetings, Brothers. I just figured I would throw out a topic, and see what kind of responses I get from the other members. I welcome any and all responses, and will certainly not judge anyone based on their standpoints. Perhaps this will bring some interesting discussion to our board.

Among my interests outside of Masonry are history, particularly early American history, politics, and government. We have all been drawn in to one topic or another within the past year regarding the current government and political state of our own country. As Masons, one thing we are obligated to do is follow the laws of our country.

My first topic is this: To what law does this refer to for those of us in the United States? Is it the law of the Constitution, which was hand written and highly influenced by early American Freemasons? Is it all of the laws as prescribed by our current government, even the ones that seem detrimental to our country? To simply use a popular concern in our country, if the government were to ban firearm ownership by a common law-abiding citizen, would we, as Masons, be obligated to follow this law, even though it is in direct conflict with our national Consititution, almost all state Constitutions, and potentially leaves citizens without a fighting chance should the government pursue further control of our people? I would like to point out that I am not trying to spread conspiracy theories, or promote anti-gun control beliefs. I just want to see how other Brothers feel about this topic.

Secondly, what are we to think of Patriot groups such as Tea Party groups, the Constitution Party (which I am a registered member of, to be honest), or webpages such as Resistnet.com? Obviously, many of our Founding Fathers had something in common with these types of people. As citizens in British colonies, our Masonic founding fathers were clearly violating their promise, if it were the same as today, to follow the laws of their country. Yet, these men are some of the most historically known Masons. Which leads me to my third question.

At what point are we, as Masons, able to resist some of the laws of our country, in good conscience, should the laws be destructive of freedom?

Again, I am not trying to push any political agenda, or spread fear. I hope to turn this into a civil and deeply thought debate. Since we are not in the body of an open Lodge, we can discuss such topics :). I hope that my inquiries will not offend or irritate any Brothers. I truly look forward to all of your replies.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I for one would not and will not give up my guns . If the my lodge/GL did not like this I will turn in my demit . I am not a gun collector nor do I have an arsenal .My guns were handed down to me by my Grandfathers . But they are mine and the government has no right taking them from me . It's not why I served 4 years of my life and fought in a war for , just to roll over because the government says I should .

I am all for the Tea Party group and others like them . It is our country , these politicians are supposed to work for us , and we hold the right to stand up for ourselves and to speak our minds . As I told some older members in my lodge , who were aghast at me for speaking out against the president , that I will not blindly and quietly follow government officials and watch my country go down the drain because I am a Freemason . And I don't think this is what it is meant in our Charge as Freemasons .I think we are to follow our leadership and the laws they pass as long as they are not detrimental to the people . But when they start chipping away at our rights and driving our country deeper into ruin then we have the right to put our foot down and say enough !

Sorry , I know you were lookig for deeper insight into this , but it makes my blood boil , so I steer clear of most of these conversations .

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
It is my opinion that we need to look back at all the good that our brothers have done -- from the Declaration of Independence to the Revolutionary War and even closer to our modern day. What would they have done? How would they react to what is happening today? I believe that all our brethern would be appalled at the way the government is run today. Even though "you are to be a quiet and peaceful subject", the Constitution gives us certain rights which I think the government is trying to take away. If necessary we do have those rights which allow us to remove people from the government (thru the polls) who are doing harm to our country and way of life. Ashlar521, I agree with your last sentence and I will end with the following.

Veterans

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
Made payable to the 'United States of America'
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This Country who no longer understand it'

To all the Veterans out there --
Thank you

kcraig1011

32° Scottish Rite
I just typed up a rather lenghty reply here, and by the time I finished it and hit the Post button, my login had timed out. Anyways, I will keep it short this time. All of what I read I agree with. In theory, I believe that Masons being "quiet and peaceful subjects" is an appropriate characteristic for us. In reality, it is not always so practical. It is important of all honorable humans, Mason or not, to know the appropriate time to take action against a threat. I will sum up my feelings with a quote from one of my favorite founding fathers, Thomas Jefferson.

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty." - I think the people are much more afraid of the government, at this point, than the government is afraid of us.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I will sum up my feelings with a quote from one of my favorite founding fathers, Thomas Jefferson.

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty." - I think the people are much more afraid of the government, at this point, than the government is afraid of us.

I have always loved that quote , thanks for posting , and I have been thinking that for a very long time in that the government is not afraid of us .

binky55

Rule of Law

As a man of my convections and retired member of the U.S. Coast Guard, I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America. I think the constitution is the law of the land and I as a mason and veteran will support the rule of law both peacefully and if called upon with force. I do not see any conflict with my Masonic oath and my duties to this government. The people of this great country are the government and I am sorry to say the politicians have forgotten that simple tenet.
Our forefathers also recognized this fact and stood strong to defend their convections. They adhered to the thought of making good men better and with it first tried to work with the government of the day till there was no other answer then meeting force with equal force. Revolution was the last option, but because of their sense of service to something greater than themselves it became the only option. We need a new world order of individuals with that same convection of their principles. America was built as and is a refuge of men with differing opinions and ideas. As masons we see these issues in a different light. Congress needs more men who are masons, not with the same views or ideas but those that can “best work and best agree”.
My two cents for what it is worth.