Personal cabletows

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Brothers, I need more light. How do you maintain your balance (24" gauge-wise) with all your Masonic involvements? It could just be me and how my work "third" seems to be made of depleted uranium and the rest aerogel, but I couldn't crave more time out of my schedule to add another activity.

I prioritize ...... if I am looking to take on a new endeavor, I look at what I can drop to take the new one on....if I find I cannot drop anything, then I do not take on anything new......and yes, masonic events are often things I drop.... if it is ever between family and the lodge.....well the lodge is always gonna loose. With that said, if I let my social coordinator know of lodge events ASAP she is good at evenly distributing my time....

CoachN

Builder Builder
Brothers, I need more light. How do you maintain your balance (24" gauge-wise) with all your Masonic involvements? It could just be me and how my work "third" seems to be made of depleted uranium and the rest aerogel, but I couldn't crave more time out of my schedule to add another activity.
Brother Rusty,

1) The first thing you must do is differentiate Masonic involvement from Freemason involvement. If you do not know the difference, your confusion will sabotage all of it.

2) The second thing you must do is set your Plumb. If you have yet to do this, you will not be clear as to what is valuable to you and what has not true value whatsoever.

3) The third thing you must do is clear your workshop based upon what you do with items 1 and 2 on your list. Masonicly, this is often times referred to as divesting yourself of your Vices and Superfluities.

Once you've done all these things, let me know how I might help further.

F&S,

Coach N

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Well, then, look at your gauge carefully. When something comes along, measure it. If it falls outside of the length of your gauge, say "no". One man cannot do everything, no matter how much he desires to. I pass on several activities every month because I want to spend my time otherwise: with my family, trying to make a living, sitting in a tree learning to play the flute, etc. And eating/sleeping/etc. When I was young in the Craft, I tried to do it all. My wife took me aside one day and reminded me that I, as a Mason AND otherwise, had an obligation to my family and that I had been taught that this obligation came FIRST. In other words, she taught me how to use my gauge: family, God, work and refreshment. After that, your time is your own.

Zack

Well, then, look at your gauge carefully. When something comes along, measure it. If it falls outside of the length of your gauge, say "no". One man cannot do everything, no matter how much he desires to. I pass on several activities every month because I want to spend my time otherwise: with my family, trying to make a living, sitting in a tree learning to play the flute, etc. And eating/sleeping/etc. When I was young in the Craft, I tried to do it all. My wife took me aside one day and reminded me that I, as a Mason AND otherwise, had an obligation to my family and that I had been taught that this obligation came FIRST. In other words, she taught me how to use my gauge: family, God, work and refreshment. After that, your time is your own.
I had a similar experience with my wife. At the time I was very active in Lodge and also was spending a lot of time cooped up learning lectures etc.
One day my grandson asked, "Granpa what does the "G" on your ring mean"? Before I could answer my wife said, "it means GONE."

Lesson learned!

FF Sparky

My gauge is like a see saw, it rocks back and forth from being unbalanced

In stead of being divided into 24 hours, could we divide into 12 months?

Casey

MM, RAM, 32nd.
My cabletow, sadly, is perpetually askew and there is no easy way to rectify it.

Work/study: using today as an example, clinic from 9-2 then study from 3-5 and 8-11. That's 11. During my time on float I'd have a 16 hour shift, then go home and sleep. The next day was clear except for 5-6 of study, but that 16 was there.

Service to God and fellows: I've 6 max on most days clean. During float, in truth, zero.

Rest and refreshment: Sleep I'm lucky to get 6 most nights, and maybe 1 total to myself. That's 7.

It's askew, and the problem is that it can't be fixed. I do what I can, though.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
My cabletow, sadly, is perpetually askew and there is no easy way to rectify it.

Work/study: using today as an example, clinic from 9-2 then study from 3-5 and 8-11. That's 11. During my time on float I'd have a 16 hour shift, then go home and sleep. The next day was clear except for 5-6 of study, but that 16 was there.

Service to God and fellows: I've 6 max on most days clean. During float, in truth, zero.

Rest and refreshment: Sleep I'm lucky to get 6 most nights, and maybe 1 total to myself. That's 7.

It's askew, and the problem is that it can't be fixed. I do what I can, though.
So when do you finish your residency? Doc? :)

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
[snip]
For many years, as a student, then as new PA, father of a young family, and National Guardsman, my cabletow was short, indeed. I did not attend lodge while in school, and not for a year after I moved to NC and started work. It was a little longer by then, but still too short to be a regular part of Lodge. It was not until 15 years out of school I was able to accept an invitation to be appointed Junior Steward (my third or fourth request) and begin the journey to the East.

"Your frequent appearance at our regular meetings is earnestly solicited, but it is not meant that Masonry should interfere with your other duties, for these are on no account to be neglected." -North Carolina Lodge Manual, Charles Bahnson.

S&F